Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,361 through 3,400 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • DrJ

Anyone watched Dark Winds? It got a decent review in the Guardian, sounded worth checking out

Yes it’s quite watchable. Based on a book by Tony Hillerman who has written a series of crime dramas set on NA reservations. 

thols2

I just kept feeling sorry for Liam,he looks like he’s getting too old for all this shit.

Try watching Tulsa King with Sly Stallone as a mobster. It’s quite entertaining, but Stallone isn’t getting any younger.

rone

Can’t be bothered to split the streaming services per thread:
    Paramount+ probably my favourite because I dig Taylor Sheridan stuff so much.  Bass Reeves (which he produced rather than wrote) is a steadfast addition to the Western genre. Bass Reeves was on of the first Black Deputy US Marshals. This is clearly not in the Yellowstone universe as is based partly on history.

Yellowstone S5 pt 2 looking like next November – sigh.

Also Mayor of Kingstown S2 which Sheridan did scribe is excellent. Very, very grim and the dialogue can be hard to follow – always put subs on – but Jeremy Renner (now recovering well after that terrible Snow Plough accident in Lake Tahoe) is fantastic as the prison/crime/town inbetweener. I don’t think it’s as strong a S1 – S1 had a sense of clarity. But this is still full of grit and surprises.

Really enjoying the new Frasier on p+ – so many people hating on it but is still establishing its character. If you want that 90s vibe and you like Frasier you might settle into it. Missing some of the older characters. I’m not the biggest Nicholas Lyndhurst fan but he’s got good timing. Would prefer Daphne to show up!

Try watching Tulsa King with Sly Stallone as a mobster. It’s quite entertaining, but Stallone isn’t getting any younger

Ha – I thought he was cast well in this one. Slightly tongue-in-cheek with a 90s vibe!

Also the Waco series is on paramount plus now. That’s an interesting dramatic recreation of the Texan siege.  I think this was HBO originally and hard to see in UK due to rights issues.

And also Waco:aftermath (2023) which I know little about. Neither of these to be confused with the Netflix doc.

toby1

Live to 100, Secrets of the Blue zones. Good cinematography, interesting subject and some nice travel from your seat on the sofa.

Also watching Justified: City primeval on Disney, it’s not as good as old justified. (Think it’s already been mentioned too).

rone

I really need to give Justified a go.

MadBillMcMad

Just watched ‘last night in soho’ on netflix.

I think it’s one of the best films I’ve seen in ages. 

crazy-legs

Can I give a Not Recommendation…?

Uncharted.
    Netflix popped it up as a recommended view on my feed as I was scrolling aimlessly through last night looking for something to watch.

What a pile of utter shite. I somehow sat there through the whole thing as it got steadily worse and worse.

martinhutch

Just got through series one of Severance on Apple TV (free six month trial if you’re with Sky VIP or something).

Really, really good, kind of Twin Peaks meets Truman Show.

johnx2
    Free Member

^^ yeah Severance is really good. One you have to go with for a bit as it picks up. I find with Apple there’s just enough to watch to keep the sub going. Like Slow Horses (good but not as good as it thinks it is) coming back this week 

fingerbang
    Free Member

rone

Free Member

I really need to give Justified a go

yes its great – but don’t be put off by the first episode or two as I think its a genuine pilot episode and it takes a bit to get going.  I think Season 2 is when it really hits its mark (AFAI can recall)

fingerbang
    Free Member

just seen Fargo s.5 first episode and its a humdinger so far.  All the Fargo tropes in full effect

rone

yes its great – but don’t be put off by the first episode or two as I think its a genuine pilot episode and it takes a bit to get going.  I think Season 2 is when it really hits its mark (AFAI can recall)

No problem – I’m all okay on a series finding its feet over time.

👍

thols2

Severance was an utter classic, I rate it as probably the best show of the last couple of years.

Justified is great popcorn TV. I originally gave up on it after the first episode because it seemed so corny, but then smart people kept raving about it being great so I tried again. Great cast, with Timothy Oliphant and Walton Goggins squaring off against each other. The rest of the cast were stellar too.

nicko74

Ah yeah, turns out I watched Cold Pursuit – it’s pretty decent. As ever, you could argue it’s not as good as the Scandi original (Stellen Skarsgard IIRC), but perfectly serviceable with a pizza and a bottle of wine

chakaping

Watched first two eps of Robbie Williams doc last night.

Very watchable and admirably warts-and-all, as others have said.

Disturbed and amused by the realisation that he seems to be turning into Morrissey though (physically, not politically).

Just watched ‘last night in soho’ on netflix.

Thanks, will add to list.

Gilles

As ever, you could argue it’s not as good as the Scandi original (Stellen Skarsgard IIRC)

where can i watch the scandi original?

fasthaggis

@Gilles There you go 😃
    Worth a watch In Order of Disappearance (Prime)

nickc

Severance was an utter classic

Defiant Jazz now appears as a category on Spotify…

martinhutch

Defiant Jazz now appears as a category on Spotify…

Gilles

@fasthaggis

cheers!

timmys

Anyone trying A Murder at the End of the World? I’m positive after one episode, but hope it doesn’t go the same batshit woo woo way the last thing they wrote did (The OA).

fossy

Meant to say, For All Mankind is back for Season 4. All good

Alex

Anyone trying A Murder at the End of the World?

Yep. Watched first 2. Thought it was pretty good. Not as out there as The OA but watchable for sure. Bit of Ex Machina about it.

Finished The Bear S2 (now get the T-shirt ref).  S3 apparently in development so very much looking forward to that. Carmy appears to have burned ALL his bridges whilst trapped in the fridge :) 

Alex

We”ll be renewing our lapsed apple TV sub for that, plus Slow Horses (S2&3) and Silo at Xmas when offspring are home.

nicko74

We”ll be renewing our lapsed apple TV sub for that, plus Slow Horses (S2&3) and Silo at Xmas when offspring are home.

And Killers of the Flower Moon – that’s going to/ already on Apple TV, right?

frogstomp

Enjoyed Severance too… although I can’t get it out of my head that the lead character is played by some random actor wearing an ill-fitting Tom Cruise mask!

thols2

Enjoyed Severance too… although I can’t get it out of my head that the lead character is played by some random actor wearing an ill-fitting Tom Cruise mask!

Not that ZOOLANDER MADE THIS???

thepodge
    Free Member

Is the boat on BBC worth sticking with? Wasn’t taken by the first episode.

fasthaggis

Anyone trying A Murder at the End of the World? I’m positive after one episode

Aye,heard them chatting about it on 6music and thought it sounded ok.

In other news, Mrs FH (after reading a review at the time of Matthew Perry’s obituary),bought Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (Prime).
    I have watched a few and the Perry/Bradley Whitford double act works well,good if you liked the whole West Wing style.

johnx2
    Free Member

and back on Netflix, Suburraeterna.

If you liked Suburra you’ll like this as it picks up the story a few years later with the characters who were still alive at the end of Suburra. Rome from street strife to the vatican via politics, gangsters and their families. And if you didn’t like suburra I’m out of things to say.

ocrider

Hopefully now that the Danny/Karen thing has been knocked on the head, they can improve the subplot for this season.

AD

Captain Fall is worth a watch on Netflix – some real ‘wtf – did they just do/say that?’ moments 😂

jonnyboi

Another vote for justified. We watched the recent new series Justified:city primeval thinking it was standalone and then we’re delighted to find we had a load of series to watch from the beginning 

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Remember ‘into the night’?

The sun goes postal and the only way to escape is to go underground or hijack a plane and try to outrun the solar radiation.

Still waiting for Netflix to air season three.

spacemonkey

Watched E1 of BBC’s Kin last night. Now I like a bit of gangland action but this one is based around a bunch of wholly unlikeable characters with the exception of two that I don’t care about anyway. Won’t be watching anymore, but others might like it. 

matt_outandabout

I thought this was brilliant last night.

timmys

For the “re-subscribing to Apple crew”, Lesson in Chemistry is also very good.

natrix
    Free Member

Uncharted………. What a pile of utter shite.

I thought it was alright as a family film

leffeboy

Is anyone else finding they have to have subtitles on to hear the dialog clearly now?  Even my daughter who has no excuse for poor hearing has to do this.  It seems that there is now such a large range in volumes that if you don’t want to be blasted at random moments you have to turn things down to the point you can’t actually hear.  It’s a real pain :(

wordnumb
    Free Member

Anyone watched Dark Winds?

Saving it for xmas day, after the sprouts.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,361 through 3,400 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.