Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,281 through 3,320 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • nosedive
    Free Member

Talk to Me is a great, simple but well executed and brilliantly acted horror movie on netflix

spud-face

^

Tried watching it,  felt too much like watching the bitter ukippers that spoil good pubs.

The guardian hated it,  https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/oct/20/old-dads-movie-review-bill-burr-netflix-comedy

If cartoons for adults (not “Adult” cartoons 🫢) are anyone’s thing, then Pluto on Netflix is riveting – a robot detective story with lots of asimov

ossify

Just finished One Piece on Netflix.  It’s actually really good and a lot better than I was expecting. Good fun, looking forward to season 2 👍

If you like that sort of thing. Not sure STW is its target market!

I know nothing about the original but that didn’t matter. Some things make ‘sense’, some things just don’t have an explanation so just take them as is!

Why does he have fins? Fishman. Ok.

Why does he have superpowers?  Because he ate a magic fruit. Ok.

Snails for phones? Ok. Why not.

Why does he have mouse ears and whiskers? BECAUSE JAPAN

chrisyork

Fresh cops!

DrJ

Just watched Fingernails on Apple TV. Enjoyable enough if soppy and gruesome in (separate) parts, but the cast is brilliant – Jessie Buckley, Riz Ahmed and the guy from Bear.

grahamt1980

Bit of an unusual one, but am watching the documentary on joy with the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu. Really nice to watch

johnjn2000

Watched Sharper on ATV last night, not awesome but good enough to keep me from staring at my phone thanks to the many plot twists.

metalheart
    Free Member

Enjoyed Doona (as suspected, it had a sad ending).

I’ve given up on Strong Girl Nam-Soon as I’ve decided its just bollocks…😬

Castaway Diva is shaping up well (as expected for Park Eun Bin, looks like we’ll find out who Gi Ho is now in todays episode…)

As I enjoyed Doona, decided to give Vagabond a try. Hmm…

oldnpastit

I’ve given up on Strong Girl Nam-Soon as I’ve decided its just bollocks…😬

Yup, me too. Bailed yesterday. First two episodes were good, then it just seemed like the script writer couldn’t be bothered. At all.

Bizarre scenes that did nothing whatsoever, went nowhere, were never referenced again. Lee Yoo-mi (FL) seemed to be doing her utmost to make something of it, full credit to her for trying, but it must have been such a slog for her.

Started on Castaway Diva.

chakaping

Not new, but watched The Babadook last week on Prime.

One of the best horror films I’ve seen – creepy, disturbing, very scary and profound.

On a more contemporary note, Gen V on Prime is excellent. Just as good as The Boys, despite a lack of C-bombs.

nicko74

I’ve been watching the latest Bosch Legacy on Prime. Beyond the first couple of episodes it’s not as good as I remember, I have to say – too much reference to weirdly specific details of individual characters from the previous series, too much elaborate setup of some obscure grift and so on.
    Still worth watching but not as top notch as it previously was, IMHO

spacemonkey

Just finished One Piece on Netflix.  It’s actually really good and a lot better than I was expecting. Good fun, looking forward to season 2

Tried watching it but didn’t like any of the characters and couldn’t get on with it. The missus liked it and jnr loved it.

Started watching Bodies last week, and it’s rather intriguing. Finished E4 and pieces are now being put together.  

argee

I’ve been watching the latest Bosch Legacy on Prime. Beyond the first couple of episodes it’s not as good as I remember, I have to say – too much reference to weirdly specific details of individual characters from the previous series, too much elaborate setup of some obscure grift and so on.Still worth watching but not as top notch as it previously was, IMHO

Yeah, Legacy seems to have been done to cut costs and production times i’d guess, shame as Bosch was one of the best out there, to be fair, even Legacy is better than most of the offerings elsewhere!

Also One Piece was great, went into it without much care, but notice it’s got a lot of UK actors in it who are pretty decent and it passes by quite easily, which is a godsend these days, as so many shows have so much filler or changeovers that just kill the flow.

flyingpotatoes

Really enjoyed Pluto 👍

Blue Eye Samurai is very good.

desperatebicycle

Fans of folk horror, like myself, should enjoy The Burning Girls with Samantha Morton. Tis pretty creepy. Is on Paramount+. (First ep was on Ch5 and I had to dl the rest.)

Agree with the Talk To Me recommend. V good new horror

leffeboy

Bit annoying that the latest series of Archer is on yet another streaming service rather than Netflix :(

Houns

Really enjoying the 4 Dahl/Anderson short stories on Netflix 

misteralz
    Free Member

@Leffeboy also annoying that they’ve taken the first seven or eight serieses off as well. Archer Vice was my absolute go-to whenever I was ill or depressed. :(

leffeboy

Blue Eye Samurai is very good

Agreed, its a good change from the usual Netflix fare

they’ve taken the first seven or eight serieses off as well

:(

choppersquad
    Free Member

For anyone who hasn’t watched it, ‘Kim’s Convenience’ is a total brain out of gear, very enjoyable to watch  show. If you like easy comedy like The Dectectorists it might just float your boat.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Apocalypse Clown.

CheesybeanZ

The Killer , a different take on a hitman film .

toby1

@leffeboy are we not just waiting for it to get to UK Netflix (Archer 14 that is)? I can’t see an obvious platform for it in the UK yet?

binners

I never thought I’d type these words but the Robbie Williams documentary on Netflix is really good.

Its done by Ridley Scotts studios and quite a different take on the format. Its far from a celebrity puff piece and takes him back through his life by showing him footage of his career and life that he’s never seen.

It’s more of a comment on the cult of celebrity and the unhealthy relationship with the tabloid press and also the mental health issues that this type of life leads to among those in the middle of it, trying to cope at a very young age. He was only 16 when Take That exploded.

Well worth a viewing

fasthaggis

The Killer , a different take on a hitman film .

Was it though?
    Maybe I have watched too many hired assassin type films,thought it rolled along ok,just nothing special.
    Enjoyed the Tilda Swinton bit :-)

desperatebicycle

thought it rolled along ok,just nothing special.

Agreed. He was no Leon, and neither was the film.

I’d rather stick lit matches in my eyes than watch 10 seconds of a Robbie W**** documentary 🥴

DrJ

Just watching Culprits on Disney+.  Enjoyable tosh :-)

fasthaggis

He was no Leon

Oh man,you make me want to go and dig that out now. :-)

johnx2
    Free Member

Has Turn of the Tide been mentioned at all?

It’s basically Whisky Galore but with the premise ” Storyline: Four friends whose lives changed forever with the arrival of a ton of cocaine.” Apparently “Filmed exclusively in the village of Rabo de Peixe, where the real events took place, and in other locations in the same island of São Miguel, Azores.” But given the the extent to which it’s misty and pissing down it’s unlikely to have full endorsement of the Azores tourist board.

As ever I’d not over sell it, but it’s a good story that romps along with plenty of incident, good characters and committed acting hitting just the right note between camp hamming it up and gritty real. Though there is plenty of both.

oldnpastit

Started on Castaway Diva.

Park Eun Bin is brilliant, as ever. Supporting cast also really good, both of the antagonists are excellent, loads of great details, and some great tunes. I don’t know where it was filmed, but the island looks incredible. Lots of crying, lots of Korean power ballads. It’s pretty miserable being a k-pop star – watching this I’ve kind of decided not to follow that particular dream. Trying to figure out who is Ki Ho.

nickc

Watched the Killer, I think if it wasn’t Fincher it would’ve been dull to the point of turning it off. Somehow he kept it interesting. I can see why folks are calling a “samurai revenge procedural”

metalheart
    Free Member

Park Eun Bin is brilliant, as ever. Supporting cast also really good

Indeed, after SGN-S I was a bit wary of getting my hopes up. I should just have trust Eun-Bin though…

It’s pretty miserable being a k-pop star – watching this I’ve kind of decided not to follow that particular dream.

Yeah, it sounds like really, really hard work. The Blackpink film has them training 14-16 hours a day, 13 days out of 14 pre-debut. I really like NewJeans and they seem to worked hard on Bunnies Club, backstory videos, vlogs and whatever advertising stunts they’re called to do… And Blackpink tour had one of them off ill (but the show still went on…). High suicide rates as well. So, not for me either!😬

Trying to figure out who is Ki Ho.

Episode 6; all will be revealed…

I see Parasite is now on Netflix (finding it hard going as unsympathetic characters…🤷🏻‍♀️)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Fans of The OA check out A Murder At The End Of The World.

oldnpastit

Episode 6; all will be revealed…

<spoiler>
    …or not! Obviously one of them, but which?
    And what’s in the box in the river?
    And who’s going to win the head-to-head power-ballad battle?
    </spoiler>

Can’t believe I have to wait for the weekend to find out.
    EDIT: also can’t believe spoiler tags don’t work anymore.

snotrag

I never thought I’d type these words but the Robbie Williams documentary on Netflix is really good.

Came here to say the same, finished it last night (4 episoder).

I suppose if your a similar age to me (80s child) then its a great watch. A really good, different take on the biograpy type film.

And then – watch the 2003 Knebworth gig, which is on their too. He really was a talented showman.

nickc

Watched Escaping Twin Flames on Netflix 3 part documentary about a dating cult (of all things). Disturbing what folks will do to others. 

fasthaggis

Out next month Rebel Moon
    Hope that the trailer wasn’t all the good bits ;-)

metalheart
    Free Member

Out next month Rebel Moon

I see it features Bae Doona… guess I’ll have to watch it then…😬

metalheart
    Free Member

Can’t believe I have to wait for the weekend to find out

I thought the one with the memory loss/memory return and the specs was a pretty good bet, no?

And shirley it’ll be Mok-ha that wins, no?

I do hate thes only 2 episodes a week series…😖

DrJ

Just watched The Killer. The clue is in the name. Man goes around killing (mostly defenceless) people. Plot? Naaah.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,281 through 3,320 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.