Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • jeffl

Bit late to the party I expect, but really liking Narcos.

desperatebicycle

Watched the first Black Mirror “Joan is Awful” – thought it was brilliant. And would appeal to Cougar :D
    (first of the new Black Mirror that is)

zilog6128

don’t know why but I’ve never watched Black Mirror, despite knowing it’d be right up my alley! We have started now though, and they are very good!! Like a less-twee version of the Twilight Zone (which was great in its day, tbf)

the-muffin-man

don’t know why but I’ve never watched Black Mirror,

Neither have I – the wife is out tonight so may make a start on it.

nickc

Black Mirror’s are all the same after you’ve watched a couple. Here’s some tech, watch how it’s **** up some-one’s life.

binners

I don’t really think thats fair @nickc. They make some interesting points and are done quite differently. A bit like Inside Number 9, some are flippant and quite amusing (the comments on social media) and some are absolutely bleak (I’m thinking about the one with Maxine Peake in)

Some are better than others, but I don’t think I’ve seen a bad one. Planning to watch Joan is Awful tonight

We’ve just finished Poker Face on Sky Atlantic. Its ace! An amiable bit of nonsense with an overall narrative but they’re all self-contained one hour murder-solving things, so have a bit of a nod to to old style format like Columbo or Murder She Wrote. Its a bit silly and all good fun

desperatebicycle

nickc

Black Mirror’s are all the same after you’ve watched a couple

I knew someone would be too clever for them… Simple answer – watch something else. Though I can’t imagine what would be anywhere near your intellectual level. :lol:

binners

Anyway… on the subject of enjoyable amiable nonsense, they’ve been filming series 5 of Brassic around here recently, which is due later this year. Which is an excuse to post this (very very sweary) genius rant by Steve Evets (the actor in the clip) 😂

weeksy

I’m going with Nurse Ratched… It’s about as AHS as you’d expect… I assume it’s made by the same people.

It’s curiously bizarre at times and sort of works. Needs more bloody violence though.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve never seen Brassic but on the strength of that clip I’m now going to seek it out. That was great.

Cougar

Watched the first Black Mirror “Joan is Awful” – thought it was brilliant. And would appeal to Cougar 😀

Oh? Interesting.

I’ve only seen a couple of Black Mirror myself. No particular reason, I like Brooker, it’s just there’s always been something else taking priority on my to-watch list. I thought Bandersnatch was very, very clever though and I’m of exactly the right age of geek to appreciate all the Easter eggs in it (including the title).

Cougar

I’ve never seen Brassic but on the strength of that clip I’m now going to seek it out. That was great.

I’ve never seen Brassic either and on the strength of that clip I don’t think I’ll bother.

It’d be boring if we all had the same tastes though.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of Black Mirror myself but you should make time for “San Junipero” and” USS Callister” if nothing else.

nickc

I’m thinking about the one with Maxine Peake in

Yes, the B&W one? One of the better ones.

I knew someone would be too clever for them… Simple answer – watch something else.

Yeah, watched the first one, I think of the fifth series? (the virtual reality fighting game where the two fellas get it on) and sort of gave up after that, I’ve watched some (not all ) of the previous series, and you can see why they’d become a bit samey – this is true of every themed long-running TV series though from Star Trek onwards.

desperatebicycle

Oh? Interesting.

Yeah, it’s the “your phone is always listening to you” type stuff you always enjoy :)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland, on iPlayer. Interviews with ordinary people whose lives were destroyed by the Troubles, interspersed with documentary footage about those events. Horrific but valuable viewing.

binners

@RichPenny – it’s a superb documentary. There was an individual thread about it Once upon a time in Northern Ireland

I’ve just watched Joan is Awful and it’s absolutely bloody brilliant! As with Inside Number 9 I just don’t know how they keep coming up with such brilliant ideas

desperatebicycle

“The Change” on Channel 4 (Weds eve, or that catchy up thingy). Bloody funny. Another one of those Ch4 comedies people will catch up on and “discover” in a year or so I reckon (Hullraisers anyone?!)

Anyway, even has Paul Whitehouse doing some acting in it! I laughed I did.

Houns

Squid Games 2 teaser trailer is on YouTube

thols2

Not Netflix, but S2 of The Bear is out this week.

nicko74

Lincoln Lawyer S2 is out in a couple of weeks too. We just finished S1 and while it’s not a patch on Bosch, it’s enjoyable fluff and surprisingly twisty in places

longdog
    Free Member

I’ve had a little binge on some Japanese stuff on NF

The Days, about the Fukushima incident,is a pretty engaging drama from the point of view of some of the people in the power station and based on a few published accounts of the events. It’s a bit grim at times with plenty of suspense.

Sanctuary, is a drama about a few Sumo stables in Tokyo. Really enjoyed it.

We only decided to get NF for a month to watch the TdF series and a couple of other things, but not been on it for a good while means enough to make a months sub more than worthwhile.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of Black Mirror myself but you should make time for “San Junipero” and” USS Callister” if nothing else.

Big fan of Black Mirror. “San Junipero” is my all time favourite.

“Shut Up and Dance” and “White Bear” are two other notables.

richardkennerley

Not Netflix, but S2 of The Bear is out this week.

Excellent, that’s a great PSA!

w00dster

Finally just finished Schitts Creek, took 4 months but was well worth it.

Also watched Extraction 2, loved that as well. I may well be easily pleased, but it’s sometimes nice to switch of brain and just enjoy the movie.

Havent watched any black mirror, will start that series next.

vazaha

Current series of Black Mirror appears to be ruminating as much on the culture in which the technology exists as much as the technology itself – Streamberry/Netflix being the target. Shades of the Simpsons shitting on Fox.

‘Loch Henry’ seems to be a direct attack at such as the Dahmer imagining, for example. Thought provoking i thought, in just the way it’s always been.

Which is fair enough – personally think that even the weakest Black Mirror s are a cut above most of what is otherwise out there. A lot of them are simply superb – Be Right Back,  Nose Dive, San Junipero, White Bear, Shut Up and Dance – the rest are either just brilliant, or at worst genuinely intriguing.

Anyway, i really only came here to say that the There She Goes special really is quite special –

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001n4rf/there-she-goes-2023-special-414

– and if you are new to it, then you can watch it all. Be prepared to cry a lot, and laugh a lot.

martinhutch

The sci Fi series I sometimes bang on about on here is finally available to stream in the UK.

MSP

I recently tried the Whitehouse plumbers, which I was really looking forward to, thought it would be right up my street, but found it to be unwatchable trash.

Whereas I then started to watch “the rookie”, which looked like corny time filler television, and it is. The characters are 1 dimensional, the direction, filmography and acting are all weak and cliched, but it still does something right and I keep going back for another episode every couple of days.

dudeofdoom

I’m still enjoying Elite sort of Grange Hill with designer uniforms and a crazy amount of sex and drugs and a tad bit of murdering.

The storylines are crazy bonkers but endearing characters make it.

colournoise

Late to the party, but getting through Man Like Mobeen on iPlayer.

Brilliant stuff. Unexpected mix of silliness, tackling big ideas head on, proper LOL moments, and some surprisingly decent plotting.

Even more worth it for Guz Khan’s facial expressions, Art Malik clearly having an absolute ball, and Eight’s wonderful combination of Ralph Wiggum and Father Dougal.

thols2

I recently tried the Whitehouse plumbers, which I was really looking forward to, thought it would be right up my street, but found it to be unwatchable trash.

I thought it was entertaining.

winston
    Free Member

I’ve watched a few Black Mirrors and whilst they are undeniably clever, I can’t help feeling we have a surfeit of clever these days and it never really gets us anywhere. My feeling about Brooker is he is firmly and safely inside the tent  whilst pissing in.

Anyway, my netflix these days is all about looking for older films I’ve forgotten about (see High Fidelity last month). Last night it was Chappie – not quite District 9 but pretty damn good all the same.

StuE
    Free Member

Enjoying Hijack on Apple tv and Joe Pickett on Paramount + tried watching the Arnold Schwarzenegger thing on Netflix and it’s utter pish

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone’s recommended it further back on this long thread.. but

DEVS

Very excellent indeed. It’s on iPlayer.

Not sure how I missed it before, I love Alex Garland stuff. I didn’t think I was a sci-fi person, but this had me.

You know it’s good when you don’t touch your phone for several episodes at a time.

thols2

I watched the first episode of Hijack and couldn’t be bothered, it was just too contrived. Perfectly fine thriller, but just didn’t do it for me.

Rabbit Hole is entertaining popcorn thriller – just as contrived as Hijack, but I found it entertaining enough to stick with.

Silo was decent future dystopia drama.

High Desert is entertaining – comedy with Patricia Arquette and Matt Dillon as scumbag crooks/fraudsters.

Class of 09 was decent enough sci-fi about an FBI AI going rogue.

myti
    Free Member

Plus one for The change. It’s funny and I thought had a bit of a Detectorists feel about it. The Bear season 2 took a bit of time to get going but really enjoying it though the extra long Christmas special with cameos was incredibly difficult watching and slightly headache inducing.

thols2

Not sure if anyone’s recommended it further back on this long thread.. but

DEVS

Yes, it’s excellent.

fasthaggis

Plus 2 for The Change.
    It should be compulsory viewing for ‘useless’ men everywhere 😉

vazaha

Many thanks for ‘The Change’ recommendations – just binged it all.

Very good, enjoyed that – agreed on the ‘Detectorists’ vibe, very much so.

desperatebicycle

👍 Got the last 2 to watch tonight :)

Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.