Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Neighbours overflow…
  • LMT
    Free Member

Just wondered what can I do about this issue:

Neighbours overflow has been dripping for years I wasn’t too bothered tbh it just causes a puddle in there yard and in the winter it freezes etc..

Well today it’s now free flowing bouncing off the fence and flooding the shared passageway between the houses, as it’s an old house water is starting to collect and build round the corner of our property.

So I popped round to say hi, unfortunately they work nights so I woke them up, apologised but explained there overflow is beginning to flood, they told me they know it’s an issue, I explained how bad it was as it’s directly opposite our kitchen so can see it gushing! Left it an hour and nothing changed so I went back and suggested they turned the water off at this point, the neighbour apologised. I could hear her partner getting up. So I left them to it, can see lights on in rooms not normally used 2 hrs on the water is still just gushing out.

Went down the shared entrance and swept the water down away from the house. Luckily from some garden work I did I have a bin full of soil so built a mud dam to lower the flow.

Don’t want to be a moaning neighbour but I don’t see them getting this fixed and the amount of water is surprising!

Should I contact Severn Trent or how long till start knocking on the door again, I get it it’s expensive for a plumber on a sunday but guessing as it’s the bathroom overflow it’s possibly a simple fix?

tthew

Why don’t you go and offer to help? It’ll be a toilet or if high up an old fashioned header tank. If you’d have offered earlier, B&Q would still have been open to get parts.

nickjb
    Free Member

If it’s from the toilet cistern then it’s usually a five min fix. Should be an isolator, too, so you can turn it off without turning all the water off. Not everyone is handy though. I’d be offering to fix it, or at least have a look, but that is another can of worms.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m not a plumber, barely fixed my own I was pleased when I fixed my own loo when it leaked after flushing!…I did offer to see if I could help first time I woke them up.

joat

Blutac, ladder, push in hole. They’ll soon fix it.

LMT
    Free Member

Would work on a drip but this is like a tap on full….

I tried to fix a mates after fixing my own, they had to get a plumber out afterwards so definitely no handy work for me! Will stick to a paint brush!

matt_outandabout

If it is a toilet it should have a tap just near the tank to isolate it. Offer to go turn this.

jacksdad
    Free Member

Attach a garden hose to it, let in drain into a sink.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Severn trent cant be arsed to fix water pumping out of the ground for at least a few weeks so I’d give that one a miss. As above though, usually a very easy fix.

tthew

I tried to fix a mates after fixing my own, they had to get a plumber out afterwards

Ah, OK fair do’s. Do you know anyone who is handy to ask? Especially if it’s affecting your house.

LMT
    Free Member

Neighbour has just popped round to borrow a screwdriver, he thinks it’s the hot water tank so going to isolate it.

That has returned the gush to a drip, he has contacted his landlord who will send someone tomorrow. Apologised loads, as he knew he should of got the drip fixed but didn’t want the landlord round so it’s escalated to whatever has happened.

The house is pretty grim, one of those you see on the tv, damp walls, overgrown hedges and garden that’s a jungle, the guy works nights, his landlord neglects the house tbh I do feel a bit bad as I wouldn’t want to live like that.

Will see tomorrow if it’s all fixed.

Surprised tbh I got the feeling this would drag out a fair bit.

martinhutch

Surprised tbh I got the feeling this would drag out a fair bit.

He’ll be around to use your shower tomorrow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours overflow…’ is closed to new replies.