• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by piha.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Neighbours dog – advice requested
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

Our neighbours dog was a housebound Springer spaniel that barked relentlessly when the couple were out and barked at us when we were on garden, including my two kids. In 4years, to our knowledge it was never taken for a walk.

Yesterday, my partner got so fed up with the noise when they left the dog in she told to neighbour that it was an issue. Her mood was worsened by a migraine.

Today, it appears the neighbour has had the dog put down which makes my partner both upset and feeling guilty.

What is the collective STW opinion for maintaining and ok neighbourly relationship?

Thanks

martinhutch

Why would you want to remain neighbourly with people who would behave like that?

falkirk-mark

Dunno about neighbourly relationship but I seriously doubt any vet would put ahealthy dog down. I am sure there must be vets on here.

piemonster

This reads like a case of animal neglect. In that sort of scenario I can’t say I’d be worrying about neighbourly relations.

But hard to know what really happened with so little information

bruneep

As mark says. No vet would put down a healthy dog. I’m guessing they just said that to make you feel bad.

garage-dweller

@falkirk-mark

Sadly I think you are mistaken. I’m sure one of our previous vets had told us that you did get instances where people had put provisions in wills for healthy animals to be PTS on the totally misguided notion that the animals would never be happy without the (now deceased) wonder (narcissistic) owner. It’s then a question of personal morals/ethics I guess.

I’m with @martinhutch on the minimum level for civil operation of boundaries. I’m a bit of a pragmatist on stuff like this – keep your distaste in check when dealing with them and avoid all other unnecessary interaction.

One more thing neither you nor your wife are responsible for their bad decisions. That guilt should be their’s alone.

mooman
    Free Member

A vets isn’t the only way to get a dog put down.

A friend with a shotgun and spade is often a cheaper and easier option.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Thanks mooman, great response.

I believe the dog was mistreated. A grave in their garden implies it is dead.

The suprise is the speed at which they’ve decided to change the situation.

fettlin

Or the dog has been sold or given away.

As above, probably said to try and make you feel guilty.

ElShalimo

Can your wife talk my neighbour?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A grave in their garden implies it is dead

Dig the dog up, take it to a Taxidermist and give it back to your neighbours.

They get the dog back which they couldn’t be arsed to look after, and now needs no looking after.

And it won’t bark any more.

Win-win.

RustyNissanPrairie

It was probably a blessing for the dog – didnt sound much of a life for it.

croe
    Free Member

No vet would put down a healthy dog.

Sadly I think you are mistaken. I’m sure one of our previous vets had told us that you did get instances where people had put provisions in wills for healthy animals to be PTS on the totally misguided notion that the animals would never be happy without the (now deceased) wonder (narcissistic) owner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48380370

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tell your wife to chill
    The neighbours are obviously scum.
    End of story.

georgesdad

Jesus Murphy what is wrong with some people? Surely no legit vet would put a healthy dog down, but plenty of people who don’t give a flying frig about their animal would tie it in a sack and throw it in the canal or worse. ****. Don’t feel guilty, your neighbours are obviously dicks. **** hate animals being mistreated. 😡

househusband

Don’t feel guilty at all; it wasn’t cherished or appreciated – hopefully it’ll be in a happier place – wherever that may be.

dissonance

Killing the dog the next day clearly isnt a proportional response to someone complaining it was barking. Trying some training or rehoming beat it as options. So no need to feel guilty as its not an outcome it would be reasonable to expect.
    Unfortunately for your second issue about having okay neighbourly relationships I think I would be wanting as little to do with them as possible given the first point (or if they were bullshitting the willingness to do so).

somafunk

Like others have mentioned I seriously doubt a vet would put down a healthy dog and if they did you would not be able to take it home and bury it (environmental considerations/public health considerations)

mattyfez

They sound like complete lunatics.

I’d be very wary of further interaction..

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

They sound like complete lunatics.

I’d be very wary of further interaction..

This. I’d be worried I’d be joining the dog in their back garden.

IHN

Just to cool the flaming pitchforks a little, the dog could have had a serious behavioural issue, which is why it never went out, and the (understandable) complaint from the OPs wife could have been the last straw.

A vet may very well put a dog down in that situation.

I’ve had a dog that couldn’t be taken out on public because of its behavioural issues and it’s really stressful for all involved, including the dog.

Clearly though, I know as little about the situation as everyone else except the OP.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I know you can take your dog home and bury it because we were given that option a few days ago when our Miniature Schnauzer was put down last week, we declined because we are on the brink of moving house so opted for cremation with the ashes returned.
    You can bury a human body in your garden if you want to, this is limited to one, i know this because we viewed a property where the owners wife was layed to rest in the garden and no it wasn’t under the patio.

mlbaker
    Free Member

@IHN I believe the dog did have behaviour issues but it was never exercised outside of its garden at any time which probably didn’t help it’s sanity.

As said it was the speed at which the neighbour has acted which took us back.

Thanks all, Martin

piha
    Free Member

Your neighbours do not sound like the kind of people who should have had a dog in the first place. I would avoid all contact with them TBH.

Only scum would destroy a dog because they as owners, didn’t treat it well.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours dog – advice requested’ is closed to new replies.