Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Need tips on how to embrace winter/rain/cold for someone who hates riding in it!
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Why the hell do you do like riding in it?

Yak

Better than not riding. Anyway, it’s the getting out bit that’s hard. Once out, the weather is less of an issue.

chvck
    Free Member

The right clothing for the job really helps. Only weather I really hate riding in is strong wind, so I don’t.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s getting out of the door that’s the difficult bit. Once you are out it’s fine. It’s easier to get out if you have a reason to ride, somewhere to go or some kind of target.

What’s the phrase about no bad weather, just bad clothing?

Fantombiker

3 tips; buy assos winter clothes and keep warm, ride with a buddy, finish ride at nice cafe or pub.

pictonroad

Went out on Tuesday, absolutely filthy deep mud, loved it, had a ball, like being a kid again. I can’t help you with the rain though, sod going out in winter rain.

Haze

I don’t think I’ve ever gone out on my bike and got home thinking I shouldn’t have bothered.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ This, although I fail miserably to remember it every time I get ready to head out in the cold and wet :-/

mrsfry
    Free Member

Boil tripe. The smell will definitely get you out the house……and county

therevokid
    Free Member

right clothes to stay warm and dry, mudguards if the road really, really
    help and defo out with a buddy or two.

jimdubleyou

I have had a couple of rides where I thought I shouldn’t have bothered but they usually involve a major off.

To paraphrase a uni buddy: the hardest part of the morning ride is from the bed to the floor…

lucky7500

As said above really. Get yourself a fully waterproof jacket, shorts and potentially gloves & shoes / socks, plus some thermal tops and a buff type neck warmer thing. You’ll end up having a surprisingly good time and sometimes the rain stops and it might even warm up a little while you’re out. 🙂
    If nothing else you will definitely end up both getting out and enjoying riding even more once the decent weather finally comes back!!

Also, if you ride in bad conditions you can legitimately start at least one ‘what tyre for…’ thread a week on here 😉

somafunk

I cycle to work 4days a week year round (10mile round trip) and if the weather is poor (which it often is in Galloway) I’ve found the right gear for the conditions helps with my motivation.

PDW mudguards on my tripster along with a dynamo hub and front/rear lights so I can jump on and ride without the faff of charging batteries/fitting lights or worry about the mess and crud that inevitably comes with winter riding on the road or the paths n’ trails.

Northwave Celsius Artic winter boots to keep feet warm and dry (I suffer from raynauds in my extremities so these boots are a godsend), Showers Pass Skyline riding trousers which are perfect riding trousers, they can handle all but the heaviest rain and the grippy seams around the ankle fit snugly over the top of my Northwave boots so they never ride up to allow water in. If it’s belting down wi rain/hail/snow then I use Berghaus Storm pant goretex overtrousers as ultimate leg wear protection.
    For jackets I have a Rapha rain jacket which is pricey but one of my fav riding jackets as it can handle anything and the form fitting hood is ace, the fit and cut is neither roadie tight nor hiking baggy also got the Rapha hard shell jacket but that is very snug fitting so I save that for pleasure and weekend rides as it only needs a base layer underneath to keep my torso warm and dry no matter what the weather throws at me (both bought in the sale). For my hands I have a pair of PHD down mitts along with a thin goretex outer shell (raynauds is an absolute bitch to suffer with) but I’m possibly considering the 45nrth sturmfist5 gloves with merino liner if I can find a uk stockist.

On my head I have a Swrve winter weatherproof cap that folds down over my ears, I very rarely bother with a helmet as I’m a bimbler.

theotherjonv

Cold I don’t mind, you can always layer up.

Wet I don’t really mind; as long as it’s warm. It’s not like you weren’t going to wash and change afterwards anyway.

But the two together. I can’t get the enthusiasm for that.

This Saturday’s forecast therefore – 3C and heavy rain, with a northerly cold wind for good measure. Might be the first turbo session of the winter.

teasel
    Free Member

Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a…ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face.

A badass.

Meditate and contemplate.

*I hate “The Rules” but subscribe to the above as it’s something I’ve always done when it comes to doing stuff outside, particularly cycling . I actually like the gritty side of human nature that rises when faced with exposure to shit weather**. Probably comes from being marched up mountains before I hit double figures.

**Apart from the bloody, bloody wind

cloudnine
    Free Member

The wind is going to swing to the north tomorrow and the temperature will drop 10 degrees…
    You just have to mtfu and get out the front door. The sooner you embrace winter the easier it will be…

beefheart
    Free Member

Put your big boy pants on and MTFU.

Northwind

I don’t like riding in the wet but I do like riding. Basically you just have to focus on wanting to ride, rather than focusing on not wanting to get wet.

Though I will say, there’s something about being out in really shit weather that can make you feel alive and in the moment in a really powerful way. The man said, when the ocean surges, don’t let me just hear it- let it burst inside my chest. And sometimes, that’s how it is.

Having only about 2 square inches of exposed skin helps too mind. There’s a few very specific things you can do for comfort. Hands, ears and feet imo are by far the most important, so keep feet dry if you can and warm, get an ear headband thinger that doesn’t mess with your helmet, and warm gloves. It keeps you comfortable and functional and that’s really key, there’s times when you’re on the bike but you’re frozen up or cringing and really not riding properly, it magnifies all other problems.

Edukator
    Free Member

Emigrate.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not sure ‘like’ is the right word really. I’ve commuted on the bike 4 days in a row this week, 20 miles each way in pissing rain every day both ways, and gale force winds to contend with on the way home.

Wednesday was really, really hard – lashing down, 40mph+ block headwind/side wind, face stinging with rain.

It’s hard and I’m knackered but its much better than taking the care, I get satisfaction that I’m still out there riding, and I think about summer days a lot.

If you do want to ride in all weathers then the last thing you want to do is think about the weather, apart from what to wear, before you go out. And remember it’s rarely as bad as it looks (apart from Wednesday as it was **** awful).

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Checklist:

New warm winter clothes,
    M’guards fenders,
    Stop being a wimp and grow some!

benp1

I’d say it varies based on what/where you’re riding

Commuting, road riding or off road riding. And the type of terrain – flat, hilly, mountainous

Lots of variables. Usually warm and wet is ok.

If I’m riding with others then that’s all the motivation I need. Commuting is commuting. I think I’d rather be off road than on the road when it’s raining, but some road rides would be quite cool

theotherjonv

Well, it wasnt raining, so I Jenn’ed the f up and went out anyway. Singlespeed, muddy, slidy, leaves hiding slippy roots – great fun.

The wind was bitter. Polaris under helmet cap, double socks, MW81’s, windproof gloves with gore liner gloves, roubaix tights saw me through though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well for me there are three main aspects

1) I just love riding my bike outdoors. There so much to see on every ride, it’s always different. Rarely do two rides go by and I think “uh, saw that yesterday” We’re blessed with such a wide variety of landscape, if you can’t ride from your door a 1/2 train trip will take you to some far away place with a myriad of views and landscape that differs to that of your normal abode.
    2) Fitness. I love keeping fit, I absolutely love the feeling of pushing myself and being pushed. Interval training sessions I absolutely love during the winter months. You can squeeze 4 good sessions in on a weekend and still be back for lunch, or go later and be back at dusk.
    3) The weather. Thank God it’s not the same all the time. For each wind direction change brings with it a different flavour of conditions. If you take a day to briefly study our weather patterns you can maximise both time and enjoyment on the bike. The rain can be refreshing and saturating yet cleansing, the cold can be bitter and burn the inside of your nostrils and ears, the sun can bleach your eyes and hand out fabulous tans.

Its all right there on the Bike. You just have to make the best of what you have and develop a mental attitude that maximises what we have.

8)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Wow that was deep ^^^

Must admit I’m exposing myself (not the arrestible type) to the cold as much as possible to get used to it now.

TiRed

Proper clothes, proper bike and a proper attitude.

I personally dislike frozen fog above all else. Driving wind and rain, yes please! But nothing chills like frozen fog.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1. Riding is nearly ALWAYS better than not riding.
    2. Goggles or good sports glasses
    3. Pogies not gloves when is properly brass monkeys
    4. Beer/pub at the end (or hot chilli waiting on the hob.)

Must sdmit, since moving I miss riding with friend in the winter, always more fun and motivational.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

1- MP3 and lively tunes and quality headphones
    2- Good clothing
    3-Warm socks and shoes

kayla1
    Free Member

I posted this on another forum earlier today-

I quite like winter, especially when it’s bright and cold, and you’ve downed a cup of black coffee before an early morning ride out on your bicycle. Whizzing down dry frozen trails like it’s a summer’s day all wrapped up against the cold, manualling over frozen puddles and being the one to crack the ice on them, getting home for a hot shower, another cup of coffee (milky this time) and a round or three of toast 🙂 Awesome. The rain, wind and sleet can bugger right offwards though. 😡

Bugger- I want to ride my bike, but it’s peeing down and my ankle’s still badgered from a couple of weeks ago 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, 4hrs on the roadie, beautiful low sun frosty landscape and heavy breathing.

Just flipping perfect.

😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

Weather generally seems worse from inside, it’s normally not so bad once you get going. My only concern with riding in bad weather is that it seems to bring out the worst in drivers – not a problem once you get to the woods, but I normally ride out from home.

The other problem is riding out to someone’s house or a place you’re expected to be reasonably not-covered-in-mud.

Like others have said, wear the right kit and don’t let the conditions get to you. Don’t tense up and don’t try and out run the storm.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get stuff ready the night before if you’re out on a weekend.

Proper mud tyres that shed and grip.

Proper clothing.

tenfoot

All the reason I need to get out on a bright winters day.

MoreCashThanDash

Having had our first proper family winter ride today – still light snow and ice lying in places, the rest muddy – I have to say:

Mudguards
    Warm baselayer (cheap Decathlon)
    Decent softshell (cheap – Aldi)
    Decent gloves – (cheap – Aldi)
    Decent Buff over chin – (cheap… guess where!)
    Decent socks – epic fail by my 12 year old who had a proper pre-teen strop over cold feet as a result of HIM knowing better 🙄
    Decent shoes/boots – Karrimor lightweight walking/approach shoes

Decent café stop for hot chocolate*

If my 8 year old daughter can have a ball riding in it, so can you!

* and the beetroot and prune brownies were a taste revelation!

dovebiker

Decent clothing is essential – the likes of Gore Bike Wear may be pricier, but it lasts years.
    Winter riding on the road in the rain without mudguards is misery, particularly in a group.

whitestone
    Free Member

In addition to all of the above I’d add: organise things in reverse order. So make sure that there’s warm clothing, food and the like ready at back at home. If you’ve driven to the ride then also have similar kit in the car. Just keep working back towards the start of your ride sorting things out. Then when you set off you know that everything’s ready for when you need it.

The worst conditions (IME) are wind combined with rain, the wind just drives the rain in to you and begins to chill you – hypothermia is most prevalent at +4C.

Plan/adjust your route to lessen the effect of the conditions, we usually head out in to the wind then we have it on our back when heading home when you are beginning to get tired.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks for advice!

egb81
    Free Member

I commute rain or shine, wind, snow etc every day by bike. After a big injury I had to get the bus. This was the biggest inspiration for wanting to ride a bike again regardless of the weather. Public transport on a rainy day in Bristol is a truly miserable experience.

chakaping
    Free Member

How’s it working out so far then OP?

Some great advice already offered, on both the practical and mental sides.

I’ll just add a few things…

– Keep your extremities warm.
    – If your local trails are a muddy mess and you don’t have a road bike, try some rides on firmer routes – even if they’re unchallenging.
    – Ride more in the warmer months too, then your body will want to carry on regardless of the weather.

timraven

As above, the right clothing and just go, once you’re out it’s great, so much better than not riding. It’s great getting back covered in mud and dripping like a child again, as if I was ever anything else 😆

Although, I am also put off by strong wind, round here it always seems to be a headwind no matter which direction I ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Need tips on how to embrace winter/rain/cold for someone who hates riding in it!’ is closed to new replies.