Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Need a recommendation for womens shorts/3/4 tights for long distance riding
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for good womens shorts/tights for long distance rides/racing?

I have been using my Skins compression tights through the spring, and I have a pair of 3/4 length Dhbs but the padding in them doesn’t stand up well to more than a couple of hours in the saddle and I am getting to the longer distance rides now.

Budget – £50-75 or thereabouts. I’ve looked at the Altura progel ones, and a couple of others, but it’s not easy to see from the product descriptions always how, erm, robust the padding is!

I probably won’t go for bib shorts for a race, just because of the toilet logistics, but would consider them for training.

crikey
    Free Member

Very good womens kit by Exte-Ondo; Mrs crikey has some 3/4 bibs.

The others to try are Castelli, Assos, probably Rapha too…

nbt

Mrs NBT uses Pearl Izumi and Enduras

antigee

mrs antigee thinks endura gel shorts are the best invention ever and is almost biblical with unbelievers – think I’ve seen some 3/4 in the wash padding is generous – wash at 30degs max though*

*attempt at being excellent rather than satisfactory

edit – *on the domestic scale that is

Yak

Mrs Yak has got enduras and dhbs. She rates the top-of-the range dhbs (whatever they are called) as having a better pad than the enduras. The cheaper dhbs definitely have a thinner pad. Also goes for bibs over shorts. I think the dhb ones now have a bib that unclips.

Chamois cream too if you are not already using some. I reckon this adds hours onto the comfort scale.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My niece just bought a second pair of Pearl Izumi sugar 3/4 length shorts. Can be bought for around £40 and she reckons they are more comfortable than her £80 mavic knickers. Ride wise she’s doing up to 6 hours at a time, so they are getting a fair test.

Clover

I have some Pearl Izumi 3/4s – I think they’re the Sugar ones – which have a really great fitted waist that doesn’t dig in (I do notice that some shorts compress the diaphragm and this isn’t good for monster climbs where every atom of oxygen counts). Haven’t noticed the padding and have ridden all day in them which probably means that it’s good.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Need a recommendation for womens shorts/3/4 tights for long distance riding’ is closed to new replies.