Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • National Beaver Officer
  • stwhannah

What might the job description and responsibilities be for such a role?

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1759311&fbclid=IwAR0pD4sSOTpAj2sAroxNtvzvhW3XkeE7bUcHgMJEC0l8K8YQKPXEswy4YXY

All jokes aside, it might well be the sort of wildlife type thing someone on here would actually like to do.

damascus
    Free Member

Interestingly, it doesn’t look like you need any qualifications for this.

The first book I ever read on my own was the lazy beaver. I wonder if I can put that into a good 250 word example.

Houns

As I’ve said elsewhere, this is genuinely a dream job for me

matt_outandabout

We can see the trees around this pond from our garden. Beavers are a great addition to our wildlife.

We’re giving them some space, but I’m planning of heading up at some point to see if we can see them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It sounds an amazing job, but not all beavers are as cute as you imagine.

anagallis_arvensis

Interestingly, it doesn’t look like you need any qualifications for this.

Like al jobs in ecology, you will need loads and 240 000 years experience and even then will only get £32k

Cougar

anagallis_arvensis

how did Clint go from that to a respected movie score written 😄😄😄

captmorgan
    Free Member

My job here is done

alexpalacefan

£32K? I wish!

APF

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve a passing interest in all things beavery but that JD put me right off. The writer hasn’t even bothered to remove some of the boiler plate from the template and the rest looks like they’ve just vomited some random words… Tosseurs…

That’s it, aamoot. Back to beaver private study.

Bruce

I think that this could be an amazing job but what bothers me a little about the reintroduction of beavers is that I can’t think of any native predators. This could mean that if you take this job you might have to organise beaver culls and deal with complaints as they eat ornamental trees.
    Badgers are a native species and they are still being culled.

boblo
    Free Member

Do they crossbreed? A ‘beadger’? Something that eats trees and gives cows TB? 🤔

blokeuptheroad

Perhaps Brenda can help?

[ video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHd2rnkRTE&t=36s&ab_channel=iTomFoolery[/video ]

Edit. why is posting videos such witchcraft on here! Even if you use the forum help link and follow the bloody instructions? Doh!!!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I can’t think of any native predator

Foxes. And I’m pretty sure eagles would have a go if they got a chance.

They are a keystone species, they improve the ecosystem around them and are a natural flood management species. This is good for anyone downstream.

It’s unbelievable what they can chew through!

matt_outandabout

This is near Lochearnhead.

tjagain

Badgers are a native species and they are still being culled.

Not really – they are not being “culled” because of overpopulation.  They are being killed for the crime of catching TB from cattle to appease farmers even tho the science actually shows it to be counter productive becaue it means more movement of badgers and thus more TB

its a sickening scandal

tjagain

I very much doubt foxes or eagles could do anything with an adult beaver

Bruce

Badgers are still be culled,I am aware of the very flawed reasoning ,as you say its a crime against a beautifull creature.
    In the US they have to relocate problem beavers.
    I wouldn’t put bet on Boris and his little friends that a beaver cull would be the knee jerk response.

dyna-ti

Cougar

why is posting videos such witchcraft on here!

Just paste the link.

kayak23

This is near Lochearnhead

Lucky they stopped when they did else he’d have been on the floor! 😮

doris5000

“only” £32K?

Is that what’s considered a poor salary round STW these days?

😳

johnnystorm

“only” £32K?

Is that what’s considered a poor salary round STW these days?

When you’ve probably had to spend a decade in Uni/working it’s not that great…

Bruce

I think £32k is about the median salary for the UK but plenty earn more. I always feel poor on here and try and avoid car and houses threads.

tjagain

When you’ve probably had to spend a decade in Uni/working it’s not that great…

It is if you work in public service.  As a working nurse even with nights  and weekend supplement the best year I ever had barely reached that.  My partner never reached that.  Both of us a lifetime in public service with multiple qualifications to degree level

some of you are so detached from reality

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not about being detached from reality, it’s just that you can earn much more in other areas, this is true. Low pay in nursing is also shameful

johnnystorm

@tjagain

It is if you work in public service. As a working nurse even with nights and weekend supplement the best year I ever had barely reached that. My partner never reached that. Both of us a lifetime in public service with multiple qualifications to degree level

some of you are so detached from reality

Your comment expands on what I was getting at. I’d personally consider yours, and your wife’s efforts as being worth more than the reward you received.

tjagain

MOlgrips – there is a section on here that is totally detached from reality about wages. I have seen ” poor on £50 000 pa”  I have seen people moaning about childcare costs that are totally beyond the grasp of the majority.  I have seen outright denial that £30 000 pa is the average wage

doris5000

I think £32k is about the median salary for the UK but plenty earn more

We can probably agree that if it is the median, then 50% do indeed earn more.

<Googles>

Huh, look at that, it is just under 32k. I thought it was 28 or so. The median salary must’ve gone up a lot quicker than mine over the last few years! 32 seems pretty good to me, especially if you don’t live in one of our more expensive cities.

cookeaa

A quick Googling turns up:

The latest complete earnings analysis (2021) from the ONS shows that for full-time workers, the average earnings are even higher, with the UK’s average full-time wage now standing at £31,285, a 0.6% decrease YoY, while part-time workers in the UK earn an average of £11,310, a 0.6% increase YoY.

So yes £32k us about “average” but I do think STW is perhaps not a totally representative cross-section of UK demographics and hence the picture you might get of a “normal” income from this place is skewed on the high side sometimes. I earn more and I have friends (also into cycling) that earn a substantial amount more, my feeling is that you shouldn’t shun the wealthy or feel self-conscious about your own earnings or “worth” but do watch out for the signs of “competitive types”. There are people with money that want you to know you have less, and others who don’t care and don’t bring it up. I know both sorts and I know which I prefer spending time with.

As for the pay for this role, yep no doubt that the recruiting organisation see it as a “dream job” for some niche individual or another. Only a handful of people will really meet the spec being an expert in Beavers and ecology, able to manage reintroduction of a species (across the whole chuffing nation!), advise government as well as having the people skills to work with all other stakeholders, that’s essentially what they’re asking for.

And that person has probably spent a decade plus in academia, and could probably walk into a job paid at least £20k more in private sector, environmental consulting tomorrow… They want someone who feels a vocational need to do the job, certainly not a financial one.

MoreCashThanDash

That’s a pretty high grade for the Civil Service. And that’s what it pays. Natural England do probably rely on people having a “calling”, I’m a grade below that in another department and on similar.

I’m not trusted to look after beavers though.

CountZero

Where do I sign up! I’d love to do something like this, I’m totally behind the reintroduction of these animals, they were wiped out through human greed and ignorance in this country, and they bring proven benefits to the environment in which they live.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How much do the beavers earn?

matt_outandabout

How much do the beavers earn?

That’s for the beaver officer to work out. I hear it’s a performance based reward system.

matt_outandabout

By the way, beavers won’t be here for long – brexiteers just worked out they are European beavers…

blokeuptheroad

why is posting videos such witchcraft on here!

Just paste the link.

@Cougar
    Thanks, the moment has passed but I will remember that for future reference. Grateful for helpful forumites in lieu of a fit for purpose “help page”. Instead of telling me that, it gives completely erroneous instructions on using video tags which doesn’t work.

joshvegas
    Free Member

By the way, beavers won’t be here for long – brexiteers just worked out they are European beavers…

Wait until they realise otters are Eurasian.

racefaceec90

i love beavers and will be more than happy to see them reintroduced 😀

@blokeuptheroad
    i just copy the link to the video on the share part then just directly paste link to reply (no need to use link etc option).

kormoran
    Free Member

Sounds like a fantastic job, I bet they get hundreds of applicants. Probably helps if you’re a member of the right lodge though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘National Beaver Officer’ is closed to new replies.