Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nasal strips & asthma
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Does any one use these strips and do they help.
    I probably have cough variant asthma i.e I get a continuous dry cough when riding hard or racing.
    Trying to breathe through the nose helps, but that goes out of the window when I'm a dribbling mess trying to hang on.
    I wondered if these might slow the onset of my coughing.

oldgit
    Free Member

Answers quickly please I'm racing again tomorrow 😕

crikey
    Free Member

No.

…and don't be bloody silly.

Asthma is an inflammatory condition characterised by bronchospasm.

Nasal strips just hold your nasal passages open a bit more.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I am slowly realising that if my asthma kicks off it's because I haven't been drinking enough. Similar condition to yours. Nasal strips dont work.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bugger, I'm like Captain Hook in my local peleton but instead of ticking they know I'm coming because they hear the coughing 😳
    They politely refer to it as a 'testers cough'.

zaskar
    Free Member

What will help you is relaxing and getting plenty of sleep.

crikey – Member
    Is right, immune system will the cause but it can be escalated with stress hormones such as coritisol which will be reduced if you stay away from strength and void lack of sleep etc.

Your immnune system is best modified during sleep. Avoid triggers.

Its no cure but relax, eat and sleep well and enjoy your race.

crikey
    Free Member

It's most likely due to an increase in the rate and depth of your respiratory rate; chugging in lots of dry air has an irritant effect on your upper respiratory tract, triggering your cough reflex.

As Obi says, the only sensible thing I can think of to combat it is making sure you are well hydrated.

Nasal strips would probably make it worse; by artificially opening up your nose, you would reduce the warming moistening effect of your turbinates; the folds which cause turbulence in the air you breathe in, which helps to reduce the irritation caused by dry air, and helps in gaseous exchange; warmed moistened air is niiiiice for your lungs…

crikey
    Free Member

…there is probably a psychological component to it as well in that you expect to cough when going hard, so cough when going hard…

Poor mans inhaler for racing; three or four drops of Olbas oil onto your tongue before setting off. Tastes foul, but leaves you feeling like you can breathe the world in…

zaskar
    Free Member

Anti histimines?

oldgit
    Free Member

Well you post a video of you doing that first and then I might.
    Though I might drop bit of Olbas on my jersey like the old days.
    Anti histimines? could mild ones help??

GJP
    Free Member

Are you using Ventolin before you ride? That's what most of us Asthmatics do.

Don't know a lot about this Cough variant asthma, but a persistent dry cough is/can be a symptom of "bog standard" Asthma

oldgit
    Free Member

No I don't take any medication. I only get this when racing or training hard. As soon as I stop it stops.
    I also produce a lot of snot at the same time.
    Edit. I've always had a feeling that it might be triggered by cold air on my upper chest as well?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have had this problem intermittently at races recently and like Obi have concluded it is down to poor hydration. I did an evening race the week before last that nearly killed me and my lungs felt burnt for about 3 days afterward. I put it down to a day in the office when I was too busy to drink enough and only had cups of tea which made things worse.

I had wondered about the nasal strips thing too – so useful comments above.

oldgit
    Free Member

I never thought dehydration could be to blame. I'm often out on site miles from shops and the only fluid I get is the cuppa that morning. So I have to quaff loads of water on the way to the race.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I think water on the way to the race is too late – it won't get into your system fast enough. But I'm no expert…

zaskar
    Free Member

You're not the only one Old G, I get muscous nose runs in cold weather-it can cause hypersensitivity immune reactions.

Maybe you are little sensitive to weather change.

See your GP before buying loads of meds, they might be able to give you something to use before big events.

Also need to check with organisers to make sure its not on their blood doping charts-hey I dunno you could be a pro racer but doubt you'd be on stw…

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

A Buff over the nose and mouth helps me in the winter – its gets a bit damp after a while, and then seems to moisten the air you suck in regardless of whether its through your hooter or cake-hole.

It might work the same in the summer, worth a try?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Git: lot's of snot can be a sign that you're eating / drinking too much dairy food. are you a bit partial to the cheese board?

milk / cheese makes me nore snotty / wheezy than usual, it's one of the more common asthma allergies.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nasal strips & asthma’ is closed to new replies.