• This topic has 51 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • My wife wants a house rabbit…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

No, not that kind…

My wife has been offered a tame/house-trained house rabbit with cage and accessories (1 year old, needing to be rehoused as the owner has had to take in a dog for a deceased relative and the new addition can’t deal with the rabbit running around).

So – has anyone had any dealings with them? I am told they are very social, almost like a cat or dog, are very clean when house-trained etc.

Our kids would love it but I have never heard of them before this and wanting to do some research before committing to it – pros/cons etc

Cheers

wwaswas

don’t let them near wires.

get *written* agreement on who’s going to be responsible for feeding/cleaning out in advance of purchase.

[edit] don’t whack your wanger in the rabbits face.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I have heard they like to chew….

EDIT: And yes, I am already the sole cleaner/feeder of our two dwarf hamsters….

soobalias
    Free Member

they are sociable, but that means they should be kept with other rabbits
    not that they are great raconteurs and the life’n’soul

wires, sofas, washing machine waste pipes…..

nemesis
    Free Member

They’re great or at least that’s what our childminder seemed to think and theirs did seem very nice but it also seemed to eat/chew/nibble just about everything so bear that in mind.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Mmm, carpet raisins.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Rabbits are a gateway animal. Next thing you know you’ll have a goat in the kitchen.

Rabbits are for pies. Not houses.

Marko

Next thing you know you’ll have a goat in the kitchen.

You know my neighbour then?

Marko

wwaswas

Victim of some “Give a Nigerian family a goat” do-gooder?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ah, you must live in the bungalow.

chewkw
    Free Member

Giant rabbit is nice. I like!

😀

Bunnyhop

My friend kept a house rabbit.
    It still bit the children. Wrecked the carpet and the house did smell a bit (which they didn’t notice but I did).

Marko

Victim of some “Give a Nigerian family a goat” do-gooder?

Slightly eccentric neighbour with a bit of an animal obsession.I don’t think they – yes they have more than one – live in the house. The Goats apparently are allowed in as, and when they want.

Marko

Dickyboy

Male or female? Mrs dickyboy has giant house rabbit and it does get rather frisky / jizzes on her lap before you know whats occuring 😳 – no cage, free to roam downstairs apart from when it is bothersome in the kitchen – trys humping ladies ankles whilst cooking so had to install stair gate to keep it out at times, carpet raisins need constant sweeping up but laminate floors all round so not a problem, sometimes doesn’t use litter tray & wees on floor too. Great pet though if you can cope with the above & that is coming from a non pet person.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Any animal that shits on your floor is not a great pet.

dday

We have a house rabbit, gets on pretty well with the dog too. Do make great pets, mind your cables, mine has an affinity to telephone wires, patched three times now *sigh*. Does get frisky with balloons (you know that ends well) and balls. But given he (the rabbit) and I are the only males in in the house, we are good!

mudshark
    Free Member

Slight hijack – how many people can a giant rabbit feed?

Dickyboy

don’t know haven’t trained it to wait on us yet

JCL
    Free Member

I had one. He was great but a total nightmare and I think he was bored on his own.

bearnecessities

Why the hell has rabbit threesome experimentalist gofasterstripes not posted here?

hels
    Free Member

How much do you want your house to stink ?

ninfan
    Free Member

My ex has two 😉 they seem to be the latest thing for ladies who are broody for their first/more kids.

Lives in the kitchen, nice really, but they don’t really do much other than shuffle around nibbling.

Advice I would offer would be that unless you have a good, well grouted tile floor, to make a marine ply ‘bathtub’ to mount the cage etc. on, as their piss is pretty horrible stuff.

Personally I think ferrets make far, far better pets, much more entertaining (especially when they pounce on your feet unexpectedly first thing in the morning)

rene59
    Free Member

Take the dog, let them keep the rabbit.

hora
    Free Member

Rabbits really nice. The furs good for hats too.

passtherizla
    Free Member

My pals rabbits have done over a grands worth of damage to bedding, wires, carpet, clothes, shoes, table
    Legs, chair legs, leather, his remotes, and a few other items too. Horrible little shit rats. Best left in the wild.

JoeG
    Free Member

My sister has one.

They had a cat, it died and their daughter had a lot of severe allergies. She was not allergic to their cat, but had severe reaction to a lot of other cats. They had her tested and was not allergic to rabbits so they got one of those instead.

Rabbit has a cage that it goes in at night or when no one is home. It isn’t allowed in the entire house, but is restricted to kitchen and a couple of other rooms with hard floors & chew proofed.

Edit – they’re more delicate than a dog or cat, so kids can’t be rough with them.

they are sociable, but that means they should be kept with other rabbits

Sister’s rabbit tries to bully any other rabbits it cones across. (head butts, I think) So its better off alone.

+1 Sister’s chewed thru macbook power cord that was a few days old

They’re quiet (no bark or meow) so good in that way. But I don’t think that a vet can do much for them unlike a dog or cat that can get just about any treatment that is available for people these days. Sister’s rabbit was sick (ate something bad?) an it was touch an go since rabbits apparently can’t vomit. It recovered, and has been fine since AFAIK.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I had a house rabbit. As above, chewed through cables, and dug holes in the carpet in corner of rooms. It was a rented house, but thankfully the carpet fitters left some spare carpet, it’s amazing what neat repairs can be made.

He was completely house trained, never a poo or a wee in the wrong place. Rabbit like their toilets to be in one area, once they know where that is you just need to put a tray there.

Large breeds are supposed to make better house rabbits. I probably wouldn’t again.

pictonroad

I reckon herbivores make rubbish pets, they just shuffle from corner to corner looking for something to chew or somewhere to defecate. The males can also throw semen around which is the terrible icing on the cake so to speak

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Shackleton

We have one. He is very friendly, very clean and doesn’t chew. Others who have them seem to rabbit proof their homes easily and unobtrusively so I’m not sure what the fuss is.

I must confess I wasn’t convinced by the idea before we got him but now love the little fella. He is neutered which helps with possible behavioural issues. He only craps in his litter tray and we change them every 2-3 days to stop them smelling. He follows us around the house, comes and lies by my feet when I’m working at home and sits on my lap when watching TV.

If you like animals then you shouldn’t have a problem. Think of him as a herbivorous dog that doesn’t need walking and you shouldn’t go far wrong. If you want any advice feel free to email me.

jms
    Free Member

Former Rabbit owner here + Mrs JMS used to help at vets. Found that they do have different temperaments, even if the same breed. We had quite a placid male Rex but latter when we had a female rex, she took an instant dislike to our new baby girl when she came along and was becoming very aggressive. If all possible, might just be worth just checking how the rabbit in their existing environment responds to you and your family.

lucien

A rampant one perhaps?

carlosg
    Free Member

We had a house rabbit from him being 7 weeks old till he died at 13 1/2 years old. As above he was neutered (because he used to get frisky with mrscarlos leg) he also didn’t chew. When we weren’t in he lived in his cage but all the time we were home he had free roam of the ground floor,in one corner of the cage we put a corner toilet unit that was easy to empty/keep clean there were very few currants left on the floor.
    In most aspects it was more or less the same as having a cat to the point where he would jump onto your knee and nudge you for a stroke then lay down on you for hours at a time.Our cat was interested in him but he wasn’t in the least scared of her and would chase her given chance. He was a lovely pet and I’d be suprised if we ever got another that was the same.

ricky1
    Free Member

Define “tamed/house trained”…..yes you will have to keep the wires away from them doesn’t matter how trained they are,they will use a litter tray like a cat,mine live outside in hutches,I have 4 and they are well loved,iff let in the house they will make a bee line for the darkest spot (behind the telly) and can get through the sky cable in milliseconds <no joke,iff they are as house trained as the previous owners say they are then they will be as much work as a cat which means feeding,cleaning litter tray and kept occupied with playing now and again,you will be fine and hry what’s the worst that could happen

spooked
    Free Member

We have two that lived in the house and now reside in the garage.

No matter how clean they are supposed to be we always found the odd rabbit nugget. The house always smelt a bit and we found we (in other words me) had to clean them out pretty much everyday before they started to whiff.

Chewed or scratched whatever they fancied.

Wish we never got them to be honest. The worst thing is two years after banishing them to the garage we still come across rabbit hair.

Not great with kids, ours hate being picked up and will begrudgingly be stroked.

Bit of a pointless pet to be honest.

ricky1
    Free Member

Oh and get insured,with pet plan £10 a month for the life of the bunnie

spooky_b329

We had a pair, still got one but he has been moved to a big shed as although neutered he had a bit of a spraying problem and was remarkably accurate.

You may get lucky but just assume that you will get occasional wee’s in the wrong place, droppings everywhere when they get excited, bike tyres/grips, TV remotes, wires are all fair game to be nibbled.

They were rescues and I suspect the spraying problem was the real reason they were looking for a new home.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/auBFKk]IMG_0188[/url] by Ollie and Sally, on Flickr[/img]

The one on the right is still with us, loves being picked up and hugged, got him a new mate from the rescue and she hates being picked up, slightly aggresive and seems to kennel guard (goes for you when you put your hand in the hutch!)

jate
    Free Member

We have one (technically our daughter’s) and she’s great fun. Very affectionate (demands to be stroked with your foot whenever you sit at the kitchen table) and happy to be carried around; indeed you can put her into a trance by stroking her head. In theory she’s confined to the kitchen but is very resourceful and is forever escaping. We’ve also got two cats, but there is no doubt who is the boss (although they will all happily play together).
    Oh yes, and she does chew through wires but always seems to just bite the neutral rather than live…..

Shackleton

Having lots of running time and space to do it in seems to result in happy rabbits. Also helps with digestion and plenty of clean drinking water in a bowl helps stop smelly wee. They do like attention, and need looking after, so if you aren’t prepared to treat them like a well loved pet, give them affection and forgive the occasional errant bum nugget then don’t get one.

Here is our one chilling in his basket under the coffee table.

spectabilis
    Free Member

We tried it encountered most of the usual issues but they are surprisingly affectionate/sociable like a little lap dog at times.
    They now live out in the garden where tbh they prefer it they like the fresh, cool outside air.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘My wife wants a house rabbit…’ is closed to new replies.