Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AB de Villiers, better than Sir Viv?
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Well, I didn’t watch it, but would love to know of anywhere online where I could see the highlights of this 31 ball century 😯 and then the subsequent 149 off 44 balls… 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30870493

And big Bob Willis is starting to consider that AB is usurping Sir Viv as best batsman of all time… Shirley not?

dannyh
    Free Member

And big Bob Willis is starting to consider that AB is usurping Sir Viv as best batsman of all time… Shirley not?

Bob Willis is talking out of his arse again.

AB De Villiers is very good, but comparing him to Viv Richards is like comparing David Beckham to Pele.

Bob Willis should remember how good Viv Richards was as he went the journey a few time at his hands, especially during his 291 at the Oval in 1976.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Richards is the better player. If he were still playing now with more odi’s and 20/20 than in his day I reckon he’d outscore de Villiers/Gayle/KP Sangakara/Lara and Ponting.

dannyh
    Free Member

Richards is the better player. If he were still playing now with more odi’s and 20/20 than in his day I reckon he’d outscore de Villiers/Gayle/KP Sangakara/Lara and Ponting.

By a mile. If you want to swoon at a game of cricket, watch the Oval test of 1976. Richards’ 291 was an utterly magnificent innings. No slogging, just amazing shots and he gives the impression that his scoring arc for virtually every delivery is about 270 degrees! The only slight detraction is that the pitch was an absolute featherbed. Even Dennis Amiss managed to score 203 for England. What is not in doubt, though, is the feat of Mikey Holding taking 14 wickets with sheer speed through the air. His bowling in this game is as close to perfection as it is possible to be.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Also if Viv used a modern day bat the sixes would be still travelling!

dannyh
    Free Member

Also if Viv used a modern day bat the sixes would be still travelling!

Another one to watch would be his 189(?) against England in an ODI in 1984. 60 overs a side, but no fielding restrictions, so you could put everyone on the boundary if you wanted.

I remember at least one six off of Derek Pringle. The ball pitched on leg, so missing leg stump, but Richards had stepped back and away (so he was still leg side of the ball, but with his weight going back). He hit it well into the crowd over long off from that position. Absolutely amazing.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOenyArzrU[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good player with a once in a lifetime innings
    Viv was peerless for his generation and it was a mighty fine generation

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BITD I picked up one of the Master Blaster’s bats.

Eff me sideways it was a club! But, I really felt like I could swing it. So well balanced.

Sir Viv was, and is, a true legend of the sport. Also, I feel he was one of those sportsmen who could have turned his hand to almost anything. I can imagine him at fly half, languidly putting a kick away inch perfectly. Cutting a perfect jibe in a racing dinghy, etc.

A man of style and substance.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

And he didn’t wear a helmet!!

Viv still better

slackalice
    Free Member

Good to see we’re all agreed then 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

And in case anyone is not in agreement……..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘AB de Villiers, better than Sir Viv?’ is closed to new replies.