Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My Explosif got stolen.
  • misteralz
    Free Member

Saturday evening out, seeing pals I hadn’t seen in over two years and I chain my bike up at the bike parking at my local railway station. Train gets delayed half an hour as there’s someone lying on the tracks in the really dark bit between Sloterdijk and Centraal. Trams are all on time so that’s fine. But my mood’s already a bit darkened, what with the attempted suicide and all.
    Have a good couple of hours at an ace wee Peruvian restaurant, although it’s noisy and my auditory processing disorder prevents me from following conversation easily it’s just great to be out and among friends again. Get back to the station and I see my bike’s not there. Obviously someone’s little joke, but there’s no sign of it anywhere. Rage, scream, feel stupid.
    Walking the 5km home I go through the five stages of grief, and get in the door just feeling really sad. I bought it at a CycleHighlands demo day in 2013, when I wasn’t even interested in buying a bike but just fancied shredding a few trails on stuff I couldn’t afford, and after handing back whatever the 2013 Kona 29er full susser was, expressed intrigue in the Explosif. And I gelled with it instantly! Eight years of adventures we’d had, from Glenlivet to Tarland via loads of local trails, I’d dipped its tyres in the water both sides of the north sea, and I’d ridden it none-handed down the beach all the way from Hargen to Egmond. I loved that bike.
    I’ve reported it to the police, for whatever that’s worth, and earlier I went back to the railway station to look again in the daylight. I was obviously looking dodgy as I was approached by the train police and when I told them what I was doing and could they maybe help, they replied along the lines of ‘no, this bike parking area’s run by the council. Park the other side of the railway line next time, that bit’s run by us, lolz’ and buggered off.
    So yeah, I’m gutted. It had to be the one irreplaceable bike that I had that they stole, eh?

matt_outandabout

🙁

kimbers

Fell your pain I had my lava dome stolen, never to be seen again

that said

When my Process got nicked a couple of years ago I put it up here & someone being offered it as a swap on FB marketplace , contacted me & the police got it back

Homepage

good luck

Kingkona

Gutted for you.

jamj1974

So sorry to hear this.

I still love my 26 year old Kona CinderCone. The bike that means the most to me even now.

misteralz
    Free Member

Thanks guys. It’s gutting, especially when I was going to take my easily replaceable Scandal, but then decided against it as it’s a bit too long to fit comfortably in the bike parking. Guess I’ll regret that decision until the Explosif turns up, or forever. Whichever comes sooner…

chewkw
    Free Member

Damn! Sorry to hear that.

I got my Shimano Aero touring/racing bike stolen from my house in the far east in my teen and it hurts until today.

One day I shall find out who that person that stole my bike and he better kneel to beg or compensate me etc, otherwise I will hammer him Borneo style. Neighbor said they saw a guy that looked like one my friends. The bike was the one and only in Borneo. The down tube is very unique and I have not seen a bike like that until today.

mick_r

Stolen in NL? Euro or UK brake setup? That could be a fun surprise for a thief…..

misteralz
    Free Member

Moto brakes, yeah. And it was damp Saturday evening. So hopefully they hurt themselves. 😀

Andy

My ’98 Explosif was stolen in a burglery in 2002. Turned up on a police auction site in 2009 and I got it back. Turned out the scrote that nicked it lived down the road.

Never give up.

mick_r

My Mrs rides with brakes back to front compared to the norm in UK – You’ll be comforted by just how much hurt it has given unsuspecting riders 🙂

TiRed

Seven bikes stolen from the garage. I miss that engraved Ti Merlin Cyrene every day. They never knew what they stole. It was literally irreplaceable. Of course I replaced it with a carbon Defy SL that won Paris Roubaix, but it Nevet attracts the attention of the Merlin.

I feel your pain.

BTW, yesterday I cut up a carbon TCR advanced frame after my nephew snapped off the rear dropout in an accident – so much for a sacrificial hanger. Anyway the moral of this is that if you have a locked carbon bike, I could steel it faster with a hacksaw to the frame than you can imagine. Two cuts and a missing inch of tube, then ride away. I’ve cut tougher butter.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Feel your pain, OP. Might help to mention size/colour/year etc? Many eyes better than two…

missing inch of tube, then ride away.

tonyd

Sorry for your loss. ‘93 Cinder Cone owner here, would be gutted if I lost it.

As above though, never give up. My mate had a speckled (91?) Explosif from new, stolen in about ‘96 and it turned up randomly on eBay in about 2009!

djc1245
    Free Member

Had my Transiton Covert stolen a couple of years back. The police and myself had given up ever finding it again. But, low and behold, i was walking the dog and some young chav came riding along the road on it. I stopped him and took it back, he reckoned he paid £700 for it. The git had put a big bum saddle on it though!!
    Never give up it, might turn up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My Explosif got stolen.’ is closed to new replies.