Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • My cat is poorly
  • retrogirl
    Free Member

My lovely cat Olly has been feeling off colour for a few days and I was hoping it would resolve itself but this morning I noticed a swelling on one side of his neck and even though he isn’t in pain I think a trip to the vets is in order. He also has a runny nose and discharge from his eyes and his appetite is off. I am bracing myself for the worse as he is looking rather miserable and wants to sleep all the time.
    I am feeling gutted right now. He’s been part of the family for 13 years and is the softest cat ever always wanting a lap to sit on and then leave you covered with white hair.
    So lets hope its something that can be sorted and he stays with us a bit longer.

Mackem

Good luck, it’s not nice when they go.

mightymule
    Free Member

Fingers crossed that it’s something easily treatable X

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It could be something as simple as an infection from a bite/fight. I would get him to a vet fairly quickly. 13 isn’t that old.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Just a bit of an infection for sure.

mightymule
    Free Member

It could be something as simple as an infection from a bite/fight. I would get him to a vet fairly quickly. 13 isn’t that old.

Very true. Basement cat got an abcess on his leg after a scrap (god knows what state the other cat was in…)

bearnecessities

Is he outdoor? Only ask at it sounds only abscess-like which could be from a thorn, a punch-up etc; try not to worry! x

retrogirl
    Free Member

He does go outdoors alot so hope that its an infection thats treatable its heartbreaking seeing him like this

gary

Fingers crossed. Mine has come in barely able to walk before and made an almost 100% recovery. Still won’t let on what happened!

bruk

Ring 1st thing for an appointment. Starve him overnight just in case he needs sedation or an anaesthetic tomorrow as well.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Worries in our house this weekend- we have a guinea pig that isn’t eating and is weeing blood. Hope your cat gets better.

Kuco

Never nice when a pet is ill 🙁

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’m with you mate; had to have my cat put to sleep today 🙁 Charlie was 14 and had a good life of micing, fighting foxes and stealing fish from ponds but went missing 2 days ago and a neighbour called this morning to say he was in a bush in their garden.

Glad to have got him home but he was a good lad and will be missed.

bearnecessities

Ben 🙁 14 years a fair crack though, mine nearly died before he was 2. Still nervous 6 months later.

Munro, hope turns out to just be an infection.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Retro girl- is he vaccinated? Is he drinking excessively? There could be loads of things going on…. Some simple, some more sinister. Where abouts ‘exactly’ is the lump, how big is it and how does it feel when you move it between your fingers?
    I’m so sorry with all the questions …..

munrobiker – Member
    Worries in our house this weekend- we have a guinea pig that isn’t eating and is weeing blood. Hope your cat gets better.
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Munro! Have you had the wee one to the vets? Piggies are susceptible to bladder stones…. This can be deadly if not treated- I believe it’s down to diet (something to do with calcium:phosphate ratios in foods) Diets high in dark green veg and lettuce can cause problems for instance!….

Keeping my fingers crossed by the way! Big hugs xx

munrobiker
    Free Member

Solarpowered- we’re hoping it’s related to a big scrap between him and our other pig (they didn’t get on and we had to reintroduce them, which was a disaster) but if it could be something more serious I’ll call the vet’s tomorrow, thanks very much.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Munro- oh golly! Poor piggies! They are buggers when they scrap! I’m so glad you have it in hand. Email if any further info required….. I lurve the furry things!!! 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Solar- most certainly will. They’re a right pair and we need to consider what to do next with them given how badly they get on.

granny_ring

Fingers crossed OP, as said vet tomorrow. Good luck.

mattsccm
    Free Member

We had a cat with those symptoms. One night he was sitting on the wife who was lying on the settee. Cat scratched at the lump and sent a blob of pus 3 feet onto her head. Dead funny and the cat cheered up after a day or so and some anti biotics.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

thanks bearnecssities, it was a good innings; A true chracter and as I asked around the street if he’d been seen it turned out he even had his own food bowls at other houses, he’ll be missed by more than us 🙂

jamj1974

Fingers crossed for a positive diagnosis at vets. As a fellow pet owner, I can empathise.

J

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Sending healing vibes.

My cat just turned 16. He’s got high blood pressure, kidney problems and his hearing is pretty bad. He still enjoys a good scrap (teeth in the back of your hand when you least expect it), he rules the place and sees off any other cats who dare stray onto his manor. And the kids love him. Gonna miss him when he’s gone.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – cats are like little members of the family! And its tough because they can’t tell you what is wrong. I sure hope that your vet is able to help him.

I believe that a cat at 13 is about equivalent to a person in their early 60s. Some people don’t live that long, and others go past 100…

Cougar

This thread is useless, etc.

Hope he’s ok, OP. You’re doing the right thing in getting him checked out.

retrogirl
    Free Member

appointment made so will know more later keeping fingers crossed he’s not happy that I’ve made him come in as I know when its time to go he’ll be nowhere to be found

retrogirl
    Free Member

He’s been admitted its likely hes got an abscess which is why hes been feeling rubbish and looking a mess so its going to be drained and hopefully he’ll feel alot better. I’m picking him up this afternoon and I’ll know more then but its looking hopeful

footflaps

Fingers crossed for him!

cranberry
    Free Member

Great that it is something less serious. Hope the little fella gets well soon.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cool get rid of the pus and mess, take some antibiotics and he should be right as rain. Fingers crossed.

rickmeister

Result ! Nice one …

DenDennis
    Free Member

good one, hope he’s better soon- pic with protective “lampshade” in due course please!

Should have a good few more years in him- ours lived to about 21 when i was a lad. 🙂

retrogirl
    Free Member

Got a call and is definitely an abscess which has been drained and he’ll be on antibiotics so he’ll be right as rain and out stalking his territory before you know it

annebr
    Free Member

good news 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yay! Hooray for Olly. \o/

dan1980
    Free Member

Glad he’s OK!
    My Olly would send healing vibes too, but he’s probably to busy, sleeping, or chewing on cables/the local wildlife…

mightymule
    Free Member

Excellent News RetroGirl 😀 8) :mrgreen:

bearnecessities

Abscesstastic 🙂

granny_ring

Good news.

Mackem

Purrfect great mews.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘My cat is poorly’ is closed to new replies.