Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Music you’ve been a bit “Late To The Party” with?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Inspired by the LCD Soundsystem thread (which I was guilty of being late to till I accidentally caught the “Shut Up and Play the Hits” film on Film 4 one night/early morning)

Just in the last year, and being 42, i’ve fallen hard for:

DezB
    Free Member

Thee Oh Sees! Crap name, so never really got on my radar, then (true story!) I was away wiv a lady and we had Spotify on. This track came on and she was like Ugh, that guitar hurts! And I was like YEAH, that guitar HURTS! 😀

So I bought the CD and I’m going to see them in July. They’re good but not heard anything that quite matches the guitar solo at the end of this (yet!)

https://youtu.be/W-Ac65av5t4

john_drummer
    Free Member

Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave, among others

DezB
    Free Member

Like, really late then J_D!

wwaswas

Janis Joplin. How did I live 50 years without noticing what an amazing blues band she was in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bld_-7gzJ-o

fasthaggis

For me ,Wire and Ride.

Dez, see that’s cause you love to hate 6muzak ;-). Thee Oh Sees ( and many,many other new bands) have been all over their late night shows fir ages.

Stoner
    Free Member

Lambchop – been around since 1986. Only heard them properly for the first time last year.

Now top pick on my Spotify.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I only discovered Arcade Fire late last year, despite it seems liking quite a few of their songs over the years, but never taking the time to find out the name of the band.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yep, really late.

thing is, I got into Nirvana when Nevermind came out, but left it another 25 years to start listening to other stuff in the same genre

binners

I’m so far ahead of the game that I like some bands before they’ve even been formed, and by the time another ten people have heard of them I’ve already tired of them and moved on. I then go on internet forums to denounce them as sell-outs and just mainstream rubbish

theotherjonv

This thread risks degrading back into another ‘bands I like but you’ve never heard of’ one. It should be relatively mainstream stuff most people will have heard of at least, not some Senegalese percussion jazz fusionist that’s sold 8 copies of his CD after a gig in Islington but you think is vastly underrated.

So to me – I missed the Ska revival first time (I mean the 2-tone bands, Specials, Selector, etc.) – I was a proper glum individual on Joy Division and Bauhaus and then the goth bands instead, but now I love it and while I’m nowhere near aficionado I have a few of the original artists in the collection now.

And of more recent times – PSB. And going OT but Venn diagramming this into another thread – The Other Side off ‘Race for Space’…….. while I understand the maths / physics and I know they’d done it unmanned or doggy style (!) I can’t imagine the bravery of being the first people to go round the other side – we’ll be out of contact for 36 minutes and hope to see you back the other side. When they come back always coincides with a bit of dust in the room….. (soft, me?)

nickc

Roots Manuva.

dimly aware of him over the years, but not really paid much attention, seems to have hit the spot recently

fasthaggis

Still in Mumfords denial Binners  😉

milky1980
    Free Member

I’m late to most of it TBH!  Even though I listen to 6Music regularly and listen to lots of recommendations from friends it takes me a while to decide whether I like it or not before buying the album (yes I still buy CD’s, I like the physical and it forces me to listen to the album as a whole).

I seem to wait until the hype and regular playing on the radio dies down then if I miss not hearing something or hear a rare play of it then I’ll get it.  I only bought QOTSA’s Songs For The Deaf last month despite liking it since a few months after it came out!  If I buy something as soon as I her it I tend to get bored of it quickly and it gets discarded.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I only discovered Bowie’s Berlin trilogy after he’d passed away…

DezB
    Free Member

Even though I listen to 6Music regularly

Good way to catch up on 80s indie then 🙂 Yea I do hate 6music! many,many other new bands who sound like old bands.. etc 😆

SaxonRider

I think I mentioned recently how I grew up with an awareness of Rush, and was constantly asked about them when I first moved to the UK. In fact, though, I never really paid attention to them.

In the last number of months, all of that has changed.

The band blows me away, and I can’t enough of them.

So… at least 30 years late, but… Rush.

binners

theotherjonv – its not just you with that PSB track. Its a really emotional track. You can feel the tension. I bloody love that album! If you’ve not seen them live, their gigs are ace!

Still in Mumfords denial Binners

One of the Sons of the Mumfords was on five live yesterday bemoaning ticket touts block buying tickets to their gigs and this leading to sparse audiences at their performances. I was going to phone in and suggest a more straightforward explanation for this

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@ John-Drummer. You may also like ‘Mudhoney’. I was into these guys when Nirvana first came out. I never took to Nirvana but I was pretty sure at the time that they took their sound from Mudhoney.

sirromj

99.999% of it.

2tyred

The Brian Jonestown Massacre. So much to enjoy! Always had them filed away with that crap 90s band (Dandy Warhols?) they had some kind of disagreement with decades ago.

binners

Springstein. I always just dismissed him as the worst sort of bombastic ‘Born in the USA’ stadium nonsense. I got that one wrong. Had a listen to the early albums and I absolutely bloody his stuff nowadays. Or maybe thats just me getting old 😀

DezB
    Free Member

theotherjonv – its not just you with that PSB track.

I preferred West End Girls 😀

2tyred

binners – Springsteen

Can’t get there. I really want to like him and I really like the quiet acoustic stuff. Had the radio on in the car recently and found myself thinking “jesus, what a horrible version of Thunder Road!” – it was the original. I didn’t really know it til the Tortoise/Bonnie Prince Billy cover. That’s immense.

SaxonRider

I’m with you on the Springsteen front, binners. Good call.

theotherjonv

PSB – not seen them live but could do in April…….. worth a 2 hour drive each way?

mikey3
    Free Member

Can somebody name me  a (recent)Canadian band,male and female members,quite mellow as I remember,mentioned on here before and I really liked the songs I heard on youtube,then forgot the name of them and no youtube history,help me music people.

theotherjonv

Could be Arcade Fire? Often get mentions on this sort of thread.

pb2

Leela James – more soul than you could cram in a VW camper

Caher

James: who did more than ‘Sit Down’; Talk Talk,  Future Islands, Flock of Seagulls and Arcade Fire. And since buying some Sonos gear, classical music – light  – I’m still learning.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Hmmm prolly this:

anagallis_arvensis

About 5 or 6 years ago I discovered Townes Van Zandt. I am now obsessed. Oh and Guy Clark is awesome too

chestrockwell

I missed The Stone Roses first time as I was just starting secondary school and not that interested in music. By the time I was a few years later there was far too much interesting new stuff coming out to look back. Finally picked them up 10 years later.

Hated Nirvana at the time but quite like them now.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Mikey3

Could it be The Besnard Lakes?

Can be mellow, can be epically devastating too. Often in the same song.

Worth checking out anyway IMO.

globalti
    Free Member

Slightly embarrassed to admit this but I’ve always liked folk and had been enjoying a love affair with Mandolin Orange, a folk/bluegrass duo from the eastern USA when I stumbled across Trampled by Turtles. TBT are a young band although the genre isn’t new at all. I just LOVE the warm harmonies and the chord progressions these guys play:

CountZero

It should be relatively mainstream stuff most people will have heard of at least, not some Senegalese percussion jazz fusionist that’s sold 8 copies of his CD after a gig in Islington but you think is vastly underrated.

So you’ve listened to some Giles Peterson as well, then… 🤪

Pretentious, moi?

@mikey3
    , yeah, possibly Besnard Lakes, as si says. Great band, they often play really small venues when they play over here, so you get the full-on sonic treatment! Last time I saw them was the Louisiana in Bristol, IIRC, which is about 300 capacity, if that.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I think I mentioned recently how I grew up with an awareness of Rush, and was constantly asked about them when I first moved to the UK. In fact, though, I never really paid attention to them.

In the last number of months, all of that has changed.

The band blows me away, and I can’t enough of them.

I know! I heard Spirit of Radio a few weeks back and I’m astonished I never heard any of their stuff before

Currently trying to buy their albums to get a bigger Rush fix!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Baka Beyond. Celtic/Pygmy hunter gatherer world music.

kerley
    Free Member

If you have Netflix worth watching Beyond the lighted stage for you Rush fans.

sadexpunk

the wedding present for me.  didnt really pay much attention to them at the time but love them now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Music you’ve been a bit “Late To The Party” with?’ is closed to new replies.