Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mud guards on the commuter.
  • LMT
    Free Member

Ive got a Specialized Crosstrail comp disc 2016, so according to the spec its all set up for mudguards and a rack, now the summer has gone I’m struggling to find mudguards for it.

The problem is the stupid fork, on the one side I have all the usual mounts needed but on the disc brake side eerrmmm theres nothing except the one that I assume is for specializeds own band plug in mudguards, but the issue is the back end of the bike doesn’t have the direct mount plug in sockets it only has traditional screw ports.

So in theory I can buy a new front only specialized one but its out of stock everywhere and the back I need a normal mudguard.

The other issue is I can’t find the size anywhere, my tyres are 700c x 38mm so I need the 50mm mudguard.

If anyone knows where I can get a clip on one maybe? nudge me in the right direction thanks!

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to take it back to the shop I bought it from and give them a chance to solve the problem 🙂

simondbarnes

I haven’t got one in front of me but certain you can fit normal proper guards. Are there mounts on the inside of the fork legs?

bobgarrod
    Free Member
    LMT
    Free Member

Its a suntour ncx fork, it does have on the one side a proper fitting but there’s nothing on the other side its really odd!

On the brake side about 2″ up the fork, its got a direct mount hole which currently has a plug in it and that’s all. On the non brake side it has a traditional quick release and next to that a normal fixing hole for a mudguard and 2″ up the leg another hole direct mount an inch above that another hole. More holes and plugs!!

simondbarnes

Pics?

LMT
    Free Member

See if this works:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MCZQzs]Forks[/url] by manicm78, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LRy2t5]Forks[/url] by manicm78, on Flickr

simondbarnes

You can mount them on the threaded holes in the back of the fork legs.

shermer75
    Free Member

Can the lower bolt on your brake caliper double up for your left hand mudguard stay?

shermer75
    Free Member

That way you get a pair of regular mudguards. They tend to come in pairs anyway! 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Will they screw straight in? Guessing they will need an adapter?

Which mud guards? Or any that any wide enough?

simondbarnes

Will they screw straight in? Guessing they will need an adapter?

You can either bend the end of the stay 90 degrees or fit some L-shaped mounts which you then bolt the stays onto.

jonba
    Free Member

My kinesis frame came with one of these

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Components/Frame-Parts/Fender-Mount-Pro-6-Tripster

you put it on the disc mount and then it gives you something to attach the guard to.

you end up lopsided as the stay are shorter but let me fit standard sks guards.

shermer75
    Free Member

These are plenty wide enough.

No need for an adaptor, just a longer bolt. Is there a thread on the right hand side? If not, you’ll need a nut also. Fitting mudguards is surprisingly had work, be prepared for some mini-engineering whatever bike/mudguard combo you are fitting! 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

We just bend the end of the stays just a little bit away from the eye in the end of the stay. Works fine. Will see if I can find a pic. The small rubber bung on the back of the fork leg comes out and the hole is threaded and nothing to do with Spesh plug and play guards

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just mount the disk side one I the top calliper bolt. Between the frame anf bolt head. Just means the stay needs to be shorter than the other side.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Beavertail XLs? Worked a treat on my Tricross Singlecross.

shermer75
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    I just mount the disk side one I the top calliper bolt. Between the frame anf bolt head. Just means the stay needs to be shorter than the other side.

Or use the lower one? That one looks like it’s in the same place as the one on the right hand side…

shermer75
    Free Member

I suppose using the upper one would help keep the stay out of the way of the caliper?

LMT
    Free Member

Didn’t notice how dusty the brake calliper is, needs a clean.

skeletor

SKS make a 90 degree bracket for these forks, they just bolt into the two holes on the back of the legs. Here: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-suntour-angle-bracket/

Bizarrely I think they sell them singly so make sure you buy a pair.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve fitted literally scores of Crosstrails and similar with mudguards. I did 2 Crosstrails yesterday. The forks do have mudguard mounts. Use the front stays on the rear and the rear on the front*. Bend a 90 degree angle right next to the bolt loop and screw it to the hole part way up the rear of the fork leg. Then bend each stay towards its mount on the mudguard. The lower stay will need to go initially downwards then need a 20-30 degree upwards bend to go straight through the lower bracket on the guard.
    You can fit guards to anything after the first hundred or so you’ve done… 🙂

*Or buy the proper SKS 90 degree adaptor.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/adapter-for-mudguards-suntour-and-rock-shox-452416?lang=en

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rear stays on the front ? Really ?

I used the upper as it seemed less effort re bending etc at the time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. Really. Because you can’t bend the plastic mounts. Fairly standard thing to do.
    That said I prefer the adaptors.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you mean you cant bend the plastic safety release tabs ?

as in

thats a lawsuit waiting to happen if your doing that in a professional capacity.

not standard at all sorry.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah it is. Everyone does it. All the plastic release tab does is save the mudguard. If something goes through your wheel at a speed fast enough to injure the rider, it’ll be the fork that does the stopping for you, not a mudguard stay. 🙂
    But like I already said, before you go stratospheric, personally I prefer the adaprors.

EDIT
    Also, not all brands of mudguard have the release at the end of the stay. Raleigh for instance sell one that splits somewhere in the middle. Quite often when mounting guards to suspension forks like this that junction is exactly where you need to bolt it to the guard as you effectively shorten the stay. There’s no choice then. Just saying, like… 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The other issue is I can’t find the size anywhere, my tyres are 700c x 38mm so I need the 50mm mudguard.

45s will be OK. Just…. 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MQRDqk]Untitled[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

In that case you would fit guards that are fit for purpose so not to be sending bikes out the door of the shop contravening bs en 14764 but its ok , its a european ruling brought on board by germany , so once brexit happens you wont need to bother.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/article/technical-guide/mudguard-safety

The idea being that the mudguard pops out of the clips and moves away from the tire- letting the already slowed down object drop out. Without stopping the wheel dead

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mud guards on the commuter.’ is closed to new replies.