Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Muc Off tubeless sealant – experiences?
  • airvent
    Free Member

I’ve been using this for about six months because they were half price for the sachets when I bought it and they’re really easy to pour into the tyre. However I’ve found that it’s just too thick to seal anything it’s almost like Greek yogurt. It’s also absolutely horrible to clean out of a tyre and off rims. I’ve gone back to stans for now.

I’m interested to hear how others have found the muc off sealant.

andybrad

found it to be fine tbh.

mboy
    Free Member

I found it to be sub par. A bit like most sealants!

Doesn’t do much of the “sealing’ aspect you’d expect a sealant to do, which is why a lot bike shops that I know stocked it ended up clearing it out cheap.

Only ones I can wholeheartedly recommend are Stans and Orangeseal.

timbog160

Been ok for me in the 6 months of use but not had anything major to seal. It does remind me of raspberry yoghurt though! Was using orange seal before which I found v good.

crazy-legs

Been OK for me although it’s an absolute **** to clean off frames!

Sealed a double puncture (two slits in the same tyre) a few weeks ago (one of which was maybe 5mm long) with only a slight drop in pressure. Failed to seal a bigger hole in the rear about 16-18 months ago which is where the sealant debris on the frame came from. I ended up putting a tube in.

It’s sealed quite a few very small punctures (tiny thorns etc) without a problem, I’ve only found them either when I’ve replaced the tyre and just had a look at it for interest or when I’ve seen a thorn still embedded.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Tried it a few months ago, failed to seal the first puncture.

Back to Stans…

ehrob

same as OP, absolutely rubbish. tyres didn’t hold air for very long no matter how much sealant i added. usual trick of riding up and down the road to fully seal up had no effect. didn’t seal small holes at all when ridden.

it struck me as being too thick given its intended purpose.

now back on stans too.

honourablegeorge

mboy

Only ones I can wholeheartedly recommend are Stans and Orangeseal.

Same here, except for Orange Seal, which dries out to a webby coating on the inside of your tyre, after which is’t of no use for sealing anything

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve tried others, including stans race, and none of them as good as the original stans.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, tried it. It was shyte. Properly shyte.

Same with the Peatys stuff.

Either stans or orange seal. That just works.

reluctantjumper

3 months using it and no issues, but then I’m not that hard on wheels. The test will be when I get out in the trail centres and bike parks.

cnud
    Free Member

Muc-off was a fail for me, resulting in a walk home on a hot day in the Peak District. Since then I’ve actually tested any sealants by drilling holes in old tyres. This removes a plug of rubber which makes it hard to seal, kind of worst case scenario. Stans (which was my go to) and some other latex based products are quite good initially (OrangeSeal) but forget to top it up as I regularly did and your in trouble because it dries out.

Im now using Tyre Yogurt exclusively on my bikes, it’s non latex so life of the tyre stuff and it actually works up to a 6mm drill. So far anyway! Plus it’s a UK company to boot. Winner in my book

airvent
    Free Member

Im now using Tyre Yogurt exclusively on my bikes, it’s non latex so life of the tyre stuff and it actually works up to a 6mm drill. So far anyway! Plus it’s a UK company to boot. Winner in my book

Can i eat it if i get hungry on the trail?

cnud
    Free Member

Dunno, I never run out of jelly babies myself

hooli

Ok but not brilliant. I got it cheap and although it mostly worked fine, I have moved back to Stans.

rexated
    Free Member

It was a ‘no’ from me…back to Stan’s.
    Seems to be a bit of a theme here.

plus-one

Tried few ! stans for the win

chakaping
    Free Member

Ok but not brilliant. I got it cheap and although it mostly worked fine, I have moved back to Stans.

Exactly same here.

But though it’s a PITA in some ways, I quite like the blue-ish residue it leaves on the inside of tyres.

SirHC

Orange seal or stans, they just work.

Garry_Lager

It’s rubbish – sceptical just looking at it (too viscous like others have said) and so it proved.

Went through a phase of trying different stuff in road tyres as the higher pressures can make it harder to seal punctures. Didn’t find anything better than Stans.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

absolutely rubbish. tyres didn’t hold air for very long no matter how much sealant i added. usual trick of riding up and down the road to fully seal up had no effect. didn’t seal small holes at all when ridden.

Very much this, same as OP, bought a couple of sachets and a bottle as it was in a sale. Gave it as much of a chance as i could but after failing to even seal new tyres onto 3 different bikes and then after eventually sealing a tubleless road tyre on the winter bike (brand new Hutchinson Fusion) it gave out 35 miles from home in the dead of last winter, no puncture, just leaked air out of the bead. Had to pump it back up every 5 miles till i got home.  That was the last straw, it’s in the pile of ‘useless rubbish’ now, never to be used again.

Have used Orange Seal Endurance previously with great success and now have Magic MIlk Hi-Fibre by Oko which instantly and easily sealed the road tyre that Muc-Off had refused to seal and without all the faff either.  Seems to last pretty well too, 6 months later and it’s still sloshing around in there.

#EDIT: Should also mention that the winter bike has been hanging up since March and with the Magic Milk in the tyres still have about 20psi in them, so losing 50psi over 6 months isn’t too shabby in my book.

v7fmp

Not used the Muc Off gear, but like many others, tried something else and returned to Stans.

For me it was the Peaty’s stuff. Utter garbage, even after they ‘updated’ the formula.

Stans is the only stuff I will use now.

goby

Was after new sealant with stick with Stans

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Brilliant. Wish I’d seen this before doing both tyres. And pumping up the back one daily for over a week now. Seems useless. What crap.

richmtb

The only decent alternative to Stan’s I’ve found is Hutchinson Protect Air. If I can pick up cheaper than Stan’s then I buy it instead, otherwise I stick with Stan’s

cx_monkey

A customer insisted on it in his new wheels – didn’t really want to hold air as a few others have said, that was just with a bit of a roll around when fitted, not actually any lngth of riding tho. Not heard if he’s had to rely on it to actually work – but it did smell amazing!

Perosnally, Orange Seal is great, as is the Joe’s stuff. In fact i think Joe’s is marginally better.

fingers202
    Free Member

Bought a large bottle, thankfully as I needed it to eventually seal my rear tyre, mediocre at best; back to Stans here.

hooli

In a word….shite. Stans or Even the Planet x stuff with the balls in is better.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve posted this before so sorry to be repeating myself, but if people have a bottle of it they need to get rid of – I’d recommend mixing it 50/50 or 40/60 with Stans.

Works much better as it thins it out a bit.

gs_triumph

No issues but then no pictures to speak of either

Sandwich

It lasts around 6 month before needing to be topped up as I discovered on Monday. Not enough liquid left to seal a small hole, though I did manage to get downhill in one piece on the road before having to walk.

teesoo

With Stans, is it worth paying extra for the Race version, or is the standard one fine?

I’ve been using muc off for about a year, and after struggling initially to get the tyre to seal it’s been ok, until last week when it wouldn’t seal a small hole.

daver27
    Free Member

Interesting bread, thought it was just me. It’s crap. As is Peatys and pretty much any other that is not Stans. Last time I try anything else tbh.

Sandwich

Strangely my experience with Continental Terra Speed Pro on Alex rims is the opposite. The tyre sealed with Muc Off holds its pressure better than the one with Stan’s in it. The mix is down to the puncture on Monday and not having enough Muc-Off available to refill 2 tyres.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I was tempted recently to try the muc off stuff which is same price for a litre on amazon as 0.5l of normal stans but I decided not to bother. Stans just works. I actually prefer normal v race it seems to do the job fine without the faff.

beagle
    Free Member

I’ve had a 1 in 3 disappointment hit rate with sealant named after a bloke:

Stan’s – awesome
    Joes’s – awesome
    Peaty’s – not so

Wasn’t impressed with the muc off stuff either. Liked the handy trail pouch it came in though. Orange Seal I’ve only tried on the roadie, didn’t like as much as Stan’s/Joe’s.

Dogsby

The Muc Off stuff smells great but that is where the benefits end. I have a drawing pin in a tyre that I had put Muc Off sealant in that day and it failed to seal. I have now topped up with Stans as suggested above so we will see how that goes.

I can also confirm that is sets rock solid on a frame when it fails to seal and sprays everywhere. No idea how I can get it off so any suggestions are welcome!!

Dogsby

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah thought mine had finally sealed. But no.

Will be stripping my tyres off and going back to orange seal enduro

I’m goanna email muc off and complain.

Love, Karen.

fadgewacker
    Free Member

Ok, so all I’ve ever had has been Muc Off (virgin with tubless until 12 months since) but I’ve had no bother really, I don’t think…
    I did have one that needed a plug early doors and I got sealant on the frame as it shat it out doing 40mph down a big hill… still on.
    Everything else, it’s just sealed no bother. I do need to add air to the tyres every other ride, as I’ll lose a few PSI (3 psi or so in ~ 100 miles XC). My assumption is that this is normal, as I know nothing else! Be glad to hear your opinions.

I still have 1/3 of a L bottle of Muc off remaining, so was going to just continue with it in my new tyres for UK summer.

fazzini

mmm just bought the muc-off set up kit for Fazzini-jnr’s bike; now thinking I’ll get a stans set up kit for my own!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Muc Off tubeless sealant – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.