Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MTB'ing in and around Gouves, Crete??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Off to Gouves in Crete soon and would like to try out the local routes if there are any. Looking for a run out anywhere that offers a bit of up and some quality down not to bothered about quantity of either but quality would be good.
    Anybody been and have anything to share about whats on offer??

Cheers

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Been to Crete many times but never done any cycling.

There are hundreds if not thousands of little tracks (single and jeep) leading off main roads all over Crete.

Not sure what access or privacy rules affect peoples driveways/paths but I'm sure the Cretans won't shoot you, they're a pretty friendly lot, although most own guns!!!

Suggest you head inland (south) from Gouve for the hills. Once you're off the tourist strip around the coast, it should be MTB heaven……just take plenty of water and sun cream with you.

A scouting trip in a car or on the bus may pay dividends. West of Heraklion is quieter and maybe more scenic.

carlos
    Free Member

Thanks for that, but I should have been clearer in what I'm after. I'm looking for a guided ride type of thing not out and about on my own. Going to get some diving and horse riding (with Mrs Carlos) and can find info thats relevant etc and can make plans but not a great deal on MTB, just seems to be bike hire.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

The only guided stuff I know of was for enduro (motorcycle) trails but it was a few years back and I don't even know if they're still going-not that you'd keep up on an MTB!

Not really ideal place as it's so hot.

carlos
    Free Member

Humm,I know it's going to be hot and don't mind an early start to catch a sunrise etc, guess I'll just have to see whats there and on offer. Maybe stick to diving, it's no hot 20m+ in the deep blue

Thanks all the same

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MTB'ing in and around Gouves, Crete??’ is closed to new replies.