Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)
  • MTB Roadies….
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Might as well chuck in the obligatory photo

and the Langster I miss! (I know the stem looks shit, it was my first road bike and I didn’t fancy it pointing down!)

njee20
    Free Member

Rorschach’s Giant looks the mutts, well done!

choron
    Free Member

I’ve been considering getting a road bike for a while now.

How do the experienced roadies feel about the more “endurance” type bikes (eg. Cannondale Synapse) in comparison with the “race” type bikes (eg. Cannondale CAAD)?

Would either of these type of bikes be preferable for an MTBer without road experience, given I’m unlikely to be riding longer than 2 or 3 hours?

Cheers

Mackem

Me, spent more time on the road bike than the mtb since getting it.
    Bought it off here, nice bike…

crap, but only pic I’ve got…

RealMan
    Free Member

Choron, there’s not gonna be a lot in it. As long as you don’t buy something silly, you’ll be able to get proper comfy.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Heres mine.Not ridden it much this year but will be riding it on the Dunwich Dynamo on Saturday……..

SamB
    Free Member

Stem has been shortened slightly but this is mine and I love it.

One roadie, one DH bike, one 4x bike. No MTB hardtails 😛

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Ben! Nice to have an informed chat! One last question which occurred to me about 20 miles round today’s ride, the bike fit you had…was it based around a ‘traditional’ frame or a compact? Or did the sizes they come up with apply to both?

monksie
    Free Member

Two of my four:

DSC_0002 by nichola.davidson, on Flickr

2012-06-27 08.30.14 by nichola.davidson, on Flickr

This one is waiting for me to collect it from the bike shop (blue and white) http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/racelight/t2. just need my c2w voucher.

and a stealth all black langster

Mogrim. My Focus Mares Disc ‘cross bike cost me less than £390.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yep when in the mood.

monksie
    Free Member

Can I say for the record, I am a very happily married, hetrosexual man and I love bicycles. There are some lovely bikes in this thread but that ^ tattoo is FIT!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Of course I have one and the only one of my fleet which gets ridden every week

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup.

Bikes is bikes. They’re all good.

I’ve got a Santa Cruz Roadster. Rather like this:-

Except mine’s got Easton finishing kit and a Record groupset (and a slammed stem, natch).

Ride it once or twice a week – brilliant for getting a solid hour or 2 of blasting in over a lunchtime without all the faff of having to deal with a filthy bike and kit afterwards.

Oh, and 53/39 + 11->25 is fine in the Peaks. It’s not meant to be easy, it’s meant to be FAST. I’ll admit Winnats hurts though…

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Interested to see some people with no mtb’s anymore but still coming onto stw!
    I’ve got a ss BSA tour de France in orange- proper retro ( and tough)

Northwind

Mine is a cross bike really, but only really gets used on tarmac. IMO roadie-ing is just like mountain biking without any of the good bits, but it’s one step up from turbo-trainers.

tonyd

Yep! Storck Scenario 1.1, Campag Chorus groupset, Cinelli Ram XL bars/stem/pin, Racing 1s. Absolutely jubbly bike, been using it for commuting lately (35 mile round trip) and it makes me smile.

Whatever you get, you won’t regret it (but spend as much as you can and get carbon, IMO of course)

MoreCashThanDash

I have a road bike and an MTB – I’m a Bi-Cyclist

Actually, I also have a hybrid for commuting – does that make me a Tran-Cyclist…….?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep.
    TCR Advanced SRAM for race day only, and race day only shoes.
    Titanium training bike, Ultegra, carbon chainset ect.
    Steel old Italian race bike with guards and Brooks for harsh winter days.
    Condor vintage road bike singlespeed.
    Pearson CX bike for racing only.

Old MTB gets raced more than ‘just ridden’ new tyres cost more than the whole bike!

Old Raleigh gents roadster, Sturmey Archer 3 speed, rod brakes from 1958

matt500
    Free Member

mdb, thank you so much for posting the RULES! So many posts make sense to me now! 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

haven’t ridden the MTB for weeks, could be a couple of months, and just not missing the mud. If it was dry then maybe i would be using it?

So spending more and more time on the roadie these days.

It has had a couple of changes, a white SLR and the tyres have changed. Next change will be to go 10spd or maybe 11spd, when the shifters rear mech eventually die, 6 years and counting!

stratman
    Free Member

Recently dug out my Orbit Harrier – 531c steel frame, mudguards, rack, campag triple, and I’ve ridden it more than my anthem in the last few weeks. As one of the earlier posters said, I’m not missing the mud and the post ride bike clean.

mrmo
    Free Member

?

scotty38
    Free Member

I have one built for me by Dave Lloyd* about 12 or so years ago, it’s steel and full record groupset and is still brilliant.

*look him up if you don’t know who is is and it’s not the gym bloke…..

donsimon
    Free Member
    metalheart
    Free Member

Got a Giant TCR2 from a couple years back. Ultegra. Got the chain set swapped for a compact. Got some Durace wheels to replace the Aksiums and I really need to change the 42 bars for the Newton 46’s I got knocking on two years ago for it too….

Headed to Morzine soon for 12 days road riding, no honest, I am…. 😳

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I bought a Specialized Allez a couple of years ago & spend far more time on it than on either of my mountain bikes.When the trails finally start drying out I’ll get the mountain bike out again but until then I’ll happily stick to the road bike.
    Metalheart,I can remember being in Morzine a few years back thinking “I’d like to go out here on a roadbike”,my Speccy Enduro’s been a dust collector ever since I got back from that holiday!

simondbarnes

Spesh Tarmac, Sabbath September & On-one Pompino here. Rarely ride a mtb these days, enjoy road so much more.

MrOvershoot

scotty38 – Member

I have one built for me by Dave Lloyd* about 12 or so years ago, it’s steel and full record groupset and is still brilliant.

*look him up if you don’t know who is is and it’s not the gym bloke…..
    Don’t worry I see Dave most days as he lives round the corner from me,I also rode a 2 up TT with him in 1982!
    Spent most of the time trying not to vomit/pass out, it was like trying to ride against a 250LC

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Barely ride mtb anymore, drop bars only 🙂

Got a geared Lynskey Cooper and a SS Langster for the road and a cx bike for off road wandering and racing in the winter.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Different saddle on the Lynskey now, and Mavic open sports, different tape,tyres and longer stem on the Langster, but you get the idea 🙂

[/url]
    IMAG0213 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    lang by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    IMAG0480 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img]

HTTP404
    Free Member

No time or passion for MTB anymore so I have Scott CR1 Team (Ultegra/105) & a Iceni 105 road bikes.
    I still have 3 or 4 MTBs but rarely used.

zangolin
    Free Member

Loads of road + track bikes. Raced man + boy for over 30 years on the road, track and cyclo cross. MTBs since 1985.

manitou
    Free Member

I dont have a road bike. Cant see the attraction.

mrmo
    Free Member

I dont have a road bike. Cant see the attraction.

well there must be some attraction, otherwise why are you posting on a thread that is clearly about roadies? Sounds like you need to come out of the closet.

RealMan
    Free Member

Different saddle on the Lynskey now,

Enjoying the cheeky little slam on it too 😀

portlyone

Road bike here too, commuter and occasional longer rides (never really gets exciting though).

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Discovered the road in the last year or so and the improvement in my fitness is unbelievable. Made my off road riding really enjoyable due to the jump in fitness.

manitou
    Free Member

I love the Tour on the telly, perhaps I’d enjoy riding in France or Spain on closed roads but over here.. nah.. even a pootle down a canal towpath seems more attractive to me than a ride up some windswept ring road with trucks and cars.

diablocableguy

I’ve got two MTBs (although one is ridable right now) and my steel road tourer, I now really do love riding on the black. They are great for grinding out the miles and watching the scenery go by.

carbon337
    Free Member

some windswept ring road with trucks and cars

Thats your problem.

Try moving somewhere nice then give it a shot

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘MTB Roadies….’ is closed to new replies.