• This topic has 82 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by cnud.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • MTB like a BMX, BMX like an MTB
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Kind of. I like building random bikes and fancy a bike like this or something else that I could do similar with. See rational be below.

Its not about it being rigid, its not about it being single speed (although for this it doesn’t matter if it is) its not about tricks (so more than a dirt jump bike) manoeuvrability. The trails very close to me a re very short little twisty runs. A couple of small tables and drops. I never ride them as a big bike is too cumbersome and at the same time the XC rigid single speed isn’t really playful but I took my bmx down there this weekend and they were fun as it was loose as hell and a little out of control, a little too out of control even in the dry, in the wet I would have no brakes due to well rubbish brakes in the wet and any level of bumps was a real kicking.

So options, try to build something like the fingerscrossed bikes, but this involves source hard to find tyres, forks and getting frame mods or ???? suggestions? Small 26″ ht? Dirt jumper with some grippy tyre?. A lot of the old 26″ hardtails seem to have disappeared or make silly money or is just the covid effect?

sillyoldman

Much as I love the fingerscrossed movement, I can’t help feeling that a 26″ DJ bike probably makes most sense and is least compromised in terms of suitable fork and tyre availability.

isitafox
    Free Member

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXJF25DRAW/planet-x-jack-flash-25-year-anniversary-disc-frame-raw
    Frame problem solved, cheap, right geometry and now with a disc mount so you can actually stop.

abingham

Surly Lowside could be good for a laugh. I’d love to have a decent enough excuse for one…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Much as I love the fingerscrossed movement, I can’t help feeling that a 26″ DJ bike probably makes most sense and is least compromised in terms of suitable fork and tyre availability.

I know what you mean that’s what puts me off, it the appreciation of something truly checkable. I do like my mtb but its a beast on anything small.

@isitafox
    Now that looks doable, I thought they had only produced some sort of 27.5 trail bike. Now I have a ss 26″ rear wheel, maybe some cranks. So fork, bars stem brakes are the major bits, will have to see what fork I can get hold of.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Surly Lowside

Love the look of it but really its an expensive pub bike, would love one though.

kerley
    Free Member

I would just get a 24″ BMX cruiser. And for me that would be a race cruiser with a rear disc brake.

Rode one for a while with a VERY long seatpost so I could actually ride it a bit like an MTB but it was more fun, lighter and nimbler. Whereas my adventures in riding a 20″ BMX off road are that they are horrible as the wheels roll very badly.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Various bmx companies make large wheeled “bmx”’s
    Fairdale Taj
    S&M Covid cruiser
    Sunday have just released a colab with Baker skateboards
    Volume used to do one
    There’s a 29er PK Ripper with disc brakes

TheBrick
    Free Member

only thing about that jack flash is it looks like they haven’t lengthened the tt to be like modern dirt jump bikes

TheBrick
    Free Member

Various bmx companies make large wheeled “bmx”’s

Nope that’s not what I’m looking for, they tick neither of the boxes, they tend to still be calliper brakes and don’t feel right. a 29er one for sure will never be right! that’s one for the bike life boys and girls.

finbar
    Free Member

I would have bet cash money this thread was going to be about this new vid:

nedrapier

Doesn’t really help you, but this doees it for me. Far from a BMX, but much more like one than anything else I’ve got. Whippy 1999 XT hardtail. 3″ front tyre, big bars, cutdown from 820 to 785.

TheBrick
    Free Member

^That’s not dissimilar as to how my inbred is set up, great fun but not very nice on jumps.

I think it maybe some sort of dirt jump bike with some more trail orientated tyres might be the answer. Will have a hunt on pink bike but local picks up kills the best.

sharkattack

Just look for an old Charge Blender if you like building highly specific bikes. Useless as an MTB but I had loads of fun on one for a few years. I used to use love burning around on it, hitting jumps and riding the local DH trails. Pump tracks didn’t really exist at the time but I’m sure it would be perfect given how tiny it was. 9 gears meant I could go anywhere even if it was hard work.

Looking back, it’s tragic how much my riding ability has dropped off since I stopped just arsing around and having fun on a bike. Just pedalling from place to place has turned me into a mincer.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yes I think that’s it. I remember them, I think that’s the type of thing.

a11y

only thing about that jack flash is it looks like they haven’t lengthened the tt to be like modern dirt jump bikes

I’m not clued up on modern dirt jump bikes – what sort of geometry/sizing do they tend to have? Jack Flash 25th has 605mm effective TT, 435m reach and 1100mm WB which I thought sounded OK. I’m building up a raw frame from spares just now as a cheap FAB to embarrass myself on.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Where did you find the geo? I looked on the web page and couldn’t see it? I went off of the write up that all they changed was the head tube.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

2017 transition scout is the most bmxy bike i have ridden in recent years. Totz riot

dirkpitt74

@TheBrick if you scroll down the page there are size & geo tabs – click on the Geo tab and all the info is there.

lardman
    Free Member

The planet-x Jack flash frame is just what you’re looking for I’d say.

I know that, because I have recently bought one. In black, disc frame.

Now, it’s actually turned out to be NOT what I was looking for. So I’m just about to sell mine! 2 pumptrack rides use, mint condition.

TheBrick
    Free Member

@lardman, the 25th anniversary jump bike one or the 29″ trail bike one?

lardman
    Free Member

@TheBrick
    The 25th anniversary one. Currently built with 26″ wheels and a 120mm fork.

image here.
    this one

ajantom

Look around for a second hand DMR Trailstar (old one, not the new shape one).
    Great as a jumpy, xcish bike.

Bez

I used to have 24″ wheels and Marzocchi DJs on an old Kona Chute that was a bit too small for me—it was ace. Would happily have something like that again for playing around on. It’s a shame that decent 24″ stuff is so hard to find and expensive these days.

colournoise

Old Trailstar.
    Pre-longshot BFe.

But obviously what you really need is one of these…

keefezza
    Free Member

DJ bike surely your best bet, plenty available at a range of prices and specs. Some have full disc brake capabilities.
    Somewhere in between is a 24″ DJ / 4X bike. Tyres and spares might be a problem. Should be fine for 26″ tyres though.

tb927
    Free Member

hmmmm weird… the Jack Flash says 435mm reach on website, but that photo @lardman sent makes it look properly short. And a thread a few weeks back seemed to suggest they were kinda short and not that great if you’re tall. I wonder if the numbers on the Planet X site are right (no reason not to be I guess) or if I’m missing something.

I’m 6’7″ and was tempted by the Jack Flash as it seemed longer than the long framed Transition jump bikes (which are $$$ but people said they’re ok if you’re tall) and others. It’s supposedly 17mm longer than my old 20″ 456, which was fine…but it sure as hell don’t look like it!

So what is it? Kinda long, or not?!

kerley
    Free Member

BMX too much of a handful and crap brakes
    DJ bike too cumbersome

Posting just because I would love this;

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think the planet x frame or a second hand jump bike is the answer. Going to price up the build and see if I can get it in on budget. Biggest issue seems to be forks. I have never purchased suspension forks on their own and they seem much more expensive then I seem to remember when I looked before.

DrP

@lardman .. if i’m right, you’re in Brighton aren’t you???

I’m about to click ‘buy’ on a PX Jack flash in Raw… whacha looking for for your bike???

DrP

oikeith

Check out DeathpackBMX.com or on IG, I’ve seen them do frame mods for rear shocks and disc mounts, looks like now they sell a BMX frame, shock and fork package too.

I think what you do here comes down to preference, BMX has 20inch wheels and this in part is why they are so fun, you could go 26 inch DJ but those things are long and dont really have the same feel and play as a BMX.

Guy I know dipped his toe in by getting a front fork with mechanical disk break and strapped that to his BMX, liked it so much he then got the frame modded to take a rear shock and disc brake too. He comes up the local freeride/DH spot and hits all the jumps and runs as most people do on their enduro or DH bikes!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yep subscribed to dethpack and tjdesigns. Part availability that puts me off that route.

lardman
    Free Member

@DrP
    Yes, i am indeed a Brightonian.
    2 rides old, matt black anodised… £100 collected. (At a responsible social distance of course)

PM me if you’re interested.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d third a DMR Trailstar, my LT is properly chuckable and great fun. What you need though are horizontal dropouts if you want single speed, I tried the whole tensioner thing and it’s just a noisy pain in the arse. Might revisit using my e13 DRS but a magic ratio might work instead.

Guy I know dipped his toe in by getting a front fork with mechanical disk break and strapped that to his BMX

How did the geometry cope with the fork? I’d imagine it would end up quite slack.

zerocool

Or if you want a bit of rear suspension to go with your fun bike there’s the Commencal Meta 4x, Kona Howler and Cowan DS, Transition Double.

I have/had an old Howler and it was great for Mini DH, Pump Tracks, jumps, the lot. 100mm rear.

But any late 200s jump bike with gears should do what you want I reckon, GT Moto, Kona Stuff, Giant STP, Cannondale Chase, Etc

TheBrick
    Free Member

How did the geometry cope with the fork?

Google fingers crossed bmx there are a few people using non modified frames or slightly modified with new dropouts welded on to tweak geometry.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I follow fingers crossed as is, was just wondering how that example panned out.

binners

I can’t believe nobody has suggested it already, but surely an old 26″ Santa Cruz Chameleon would tick all your boxes. Sliding dropouts too so you can run it as a singlespeed.

I used to describe my old one as being like an oversized BMX on the basis of how much you could throw it around and how much fun it was. A truly daft grin factor…

Someone bought it from the classifieds on here (when I got too old for all that nosense and my back couldn’t take the battering) so it might well still be kicking about somewhere

I had this at the same time too, for blatting around locally. 24″ GT Pro Series. Great fun but knackering

a11y

Final part to build up my raw Jack Flash frame has just arrived. If I successfully get it built tonight I’ll measure the reach, wheelbase etc and see how they compare to the stated measurements.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Post a picture too please. What forks are you using?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘MTB like a BMX, BMX like an MTB’ is closed to new replies.