Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mrs new rear tyre, will she die?
  • jree
    Free Member

She’s been riding a year now and to build confidence I put a big old magic Mary up front initially and then realised how good a tyre it was, not a schwalbe man myself.
    I put a nobby nic on the back but that’s sliced so had a racing Ralph spare so put that on.
    I’ve done some looking and it’s not a combo people use but they do use rock razor with magic Mary and the Ralph is a better reviewed tyre than the nobby.
    Be reet won’t it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use a slaughter on the back with 2.6 Mary, but I generally don’t mind the back sliding out a bit.

If your good for lady is the same, you’re golden…

jree
    Free Member

Yeah thought it would be fine. I use a slaughter rear in the summer too. Too muddy for it round here now

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mine is coming off this week, been on for 18 months.

Need something grippier to climb with the ebike mates!.

lesgrandepotato

Racing Ralph is treachery in a tyre if it’s not dry and dusty.

jree
    Free Member

She does degla blue runs and delamere, I reckon it will be ok.

PrinceJohn

I had a Rock Razor on for a while, it was an awesome tyre.

The only time it came up a little short was when trying to slow down on steep muddy descents.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ralph will be next to useless in Delamere at the moment,unless you don’t stray from fire roads that is

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m going to stray from the consensus.

It’ll be fine, loads of front end grip and the Ralph does find surprising grip for the tread.

Cornering won’t be as good as a rock razor and I think the rock razor comes in softer compounds, but tbh while I’d run a hans dampf or nobby nic for a bit more grip in the slop (particularly climbing), I can’t see huge problems happening descending and have run this combo myself (using the old design of RR) due to not having time/inclination to change both tyres, and it definitely had its advantages.

The lack of tread is really hard to get clogged up too, although this is a bit theoretical pub chat rather than practical guidance.

binman

She does degla blue runs and delamere, I reckon it will be ok.

Be alot of wheel spinning at Delamere and limited braking …. I favour a Maxxis Shorty at Delamere but they don’t like wet roots…

endomick
    Free Member

Racing Ralph. It’s bad at braking and climbing, useless in dusty or wet conditions
    It’s like a semi slick but without the cornering bite.

jree
    Free Member

Hmmm. Maybe I’ll change it! She was too hungover to rise today anyway but we’re out Saturday. Might put the nobby back on.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

racing ralph is great in the wet on rocks and roots, just lethal on mud.

dove1

In my experience the Racing Ralph is poor on any surface that isn’t dry hard pack and awful in mud.
    I run Nobby Nic front and rear on my full sus through the winter and swap the rear for a Rock Razor in the summer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mrs new rear tyre, will she die?’ is closed to new replies.