• This topic has 50 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by myti.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Moving to Portugal, getting organised
  • Moe

We’re planning on driving Santander to Ponte de Lima, there are a couple of tolls as far as I can see and I’ve found ‘Via-T’ that looks to operate in Spain and Portugal, anyone have any experience of the best way to do this?

iolo
    Free Member

I lived for 18 months in Coimbra. I miss Portugal. People are amazing as long as you at least try and speak their language. There won’t be much English spoken in the area you are moving to.
    Do not buy a beautiful house surrounded by trees in a forest. The fires they have in that part of the world are extreme.

Moe

Thanks iolo, we have been aware of the fire risk, our daughter is happily scoping out properties so we should be able to hit the ground running.

dogbone

Tolls in Spain are generally either cash (smaller amounts) or card (contactless). I have a Euro friendly Nationwide credit card I use.

Portugal you register a credit card and it reads your number plate and automatically take the money. I ‘think’ there was a special machine the first toll booth you hit which you can register your card. I did it on-line later than night and it was quite stressful (Spanish hire car).

asbrooks

Best of luck with your adventure! You’ll have a great life.

I’m looking forward to the day that I get out. Once the kids have been uni (3 years), we’re heading the south of France. My wife is from there and my employer have agreed I can work remotely (lock down has been a bit of a trial run).

myti
    Free Member

Good luck with the move! We are planning to spend the winter in Portugal so if you fancy some riding buddies when you’ve sussed out the local trails drop me a pm.

Moe

Thanks, there are an awful lot of trails to suss out!

Does anyone have any opinions on insuring a house move, the removals company have offered ‘extra’ insurance @£500 odd, our own house insurance company don’t entertain the option so, take the removal co’s quote? Not worry about extra insurance? Or where else to look?

Moe

Well we’re here, Storm Alex livened up the crossing the drive down was everything from sunshine to torrential rain but I’m now sat here with a beer in Romarigães in the sun! Now just need to start house hunting!

33tango

Good luck! Enjoy the adventure 🙂

Moe

Well we’ve been here since start of Oct and UK house sale is now finally sorted! Didn’t expect that but it has given us more time to find our feet and get the feel for life here.

myti
    Free Member

Good luck. We were in Portugal from early October until a couple of weeks ago. Travelled down the West Coast initially and found a couple of places we really liked Figueira de Foz, best all you can eat sushi for 10e ever, some fun mountain bike trails in the hills above the town and some good surf too, Foz do Arelho was another favourite spot and then we settled in Sagres for 4 months, surf heaven but not much else. We’re in Spain now just making our way back to uk but hope to be back in Portugal next winter.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Portugal, getting organised’ is closed to new replies.