Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Moving house: Back of which shops for the best cardboard boxes?
  • nedrapier

Just that really.

Seems daft to spend £25 at Big Yellow Storage when there are plenty of decent boxes being chucked/broken/recycled all over town.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

GrahamS

If you decide to buy then these guys are not bad.
    http://www.helpineedboxes.co.uk/

The boxes are decent quality and last well. We're still using the wardrobe boxes three years after we moved 😳

MtbCol
    Free Member

We give out shedloads of boxes for packing stuff in – we're a fruit and veg wholesaler, so I would try your local supplier.

Banana boxes and the 40lb apple boxes seem to be asked for most.

nedrapier

Ace. Cheers Col, will see if there's one nearby. Whereabouts are you?

Thanks Graham, big yellow's just round the corner, so I'll go there if I don't find all I need.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

From my experience – don't ask Stif in Headingley. They wanted £10 for a bike box that was in their bins – I kid you not.

(This was some time ago, granted, but it has left me with a bitter taste ever since).

Daffy

Stiff have sorted me out with wheel and bike boxes FOC for years….just to add balance. 🙂

I'm moving soon and have decided to buy collapsible storage boxes so they can be used and re-used.

M

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They wanted £10 for a bike box that was in their bins

Yeah I've had that experience with a shop in London. I told them that considering I'd spent money in their shop, letting me take their rubbish away was the least they could do. Never shopped there again

They went bust a short time later. Serves them right. Stingy bastards. I'd've happily put a fiver or so in a charity box mind.

Where I live, small shops get paid a little bit for their recycled cardboard, so it can be quite difficult getting boxes. Worth buttering someone up/offering a couple of quid to save you some. Or, as I can, get a mate to bring round loads of stackable storage crates which you return after you've moved. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Daffy – Glad it works for you – perhaps I just got some sales assistant wanting £10 in his back pocket.

And as above, I too had spent loads in their shop (including an Orange Evo2) so letting me have some rubbish was the least they could have done.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Moving house: Back of which shops for the best cardboard boxes?’ is closed to new replies.