Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem 24hr roll call
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Right then, who from these parts is going, what version are you riding and how do we spot you?

I’m doing solo again (for the 3rd year), I’ll be on my KTM Scarp 29er FS unless I have a mechanical and then I’ll be on a KTM Myroon 29er HT, ridinh in KTM Impsport Team Kit (if it stays dry and I don’t get through my stock of jerseys) with this kind of 1000yd stare going on after about 3 hours :mrgreen:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UofFVS]Roc d'Ardenne Marathon 2017[/url] by Steve Bowman, on Flickr

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ll be there. First ever race.
    I’ll be on a knackered Mojo special blend or a 23 year old Kona with bodged on disc brakes.
    If both of them fail then I’ll be sat in the DO55 BUS drinking beer.

Dressed in random shorts and a baggy white striped cotton t shirt to keep the sun off !

I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing

(regarding racing)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Whilst we’re on the subject, can someone clarify something for me…

At what point can solos divert off to their campsite to get food/drink?

(the stuff in the rules explains how you do a handover to team mates, or how you can accept food from support crews etc, but mentions nothing about how solos with nno support get food. It also explicitly says that if you divert from within the course markers then you’re DQd)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Solo camping is trackside, so you just stop by your tent.

Or… There is a solo marquee at the start/finish which is where the food stalls are.

grahamh
    Free Member

I will hopefully be along at some point with the camera and jelly babies.

steve_b77
    Free Member

thegeneralist – Member
    Whilst we’re on the subject, can someone clarify something for me…

At what point can solos divert off to their campsite to get food/drink?

Just set up trackside, there was no solo tent / marquee last year as it can’t be manned / secured and stuff gets nicked.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I shall be one of ten (well, probably more like tenth of ten 🙂 ) so will spend most of the weekend bumming around enjoying the sunshine, talking crap and having a beer or two.

emac65
    Free Member

Entered as a team of 4, but 75% of them have gone into hiding….. So no idea if I’ll be there or not yet….

tazzymtb

yep team of 4 singlespeeders, to be honest we sort of look like **** single speeders and if nothing else just look for a multi-tubed prototype stooge thing and other assorted bling bikes

MrOvershoot

Steve you will be glad its wall to wall blue sky and a good drying wind after a light shower this morning down here.
    Staying at the in laws a few miles away.

Forecast is warm/hot & dry!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

MrOvershoot – Member
    Steve you will be glad its wall to wall blue sky and a good drying wind after a light shower this morning down here.
    Staying at the in laws a few miles away.

Forecast is warm/hot & dry!!

This is good news :mrgreen:

tazzymtb – Member
    yep team of 4 singlespeeders, to be honest we sort of look like **** single speeders and if nothing else just look for a multi-tubed prototype stooge thing and other assorted bling bikes

Made in shed bikes, facial hair, tatts & brewed in shed beer?

Rubber_Buccaneer

just look for a multi-tubed prototype stooge thing

Certainly will, want to see that in the flesh.

tazzymtb

Made in shed bikes, facial hair, tatts & brewed in shed beer

hahahahahaha yep to all of the above including a man with the best beard in Yorkshire (officially) and tiny ginger monkey who can spin his ikkle legs so quick they make a whirring sound!

servo
    Free Member

Team of 4 Singlespeed Veterans (50 plus). First time since the bog fest of 2012 😡

letmetalktomark

**waves** I’ll be there riding this:

Until I get sick of old bikes then I”l be on this slightly less old bike:

Riding “social” solo essentially balancing having a good time and riding a bike 🙂

@Taz – will look out for your bendy frame nonsense as am intrigued and will help fill the void until my MK3 turns up …..

akira

On one fatty, if you hear someone coughing like death it’ll be me. Ongoing chest infection but figure riding in hot weather will be good for it.

Toasty

6’6″ chap riding solo, most likely on a huge XXL Stumpjumper full sus, or a Singular Swift if I’ve built up a bit of confidence on the course. I’ll be way off the back, planning on trying to go super slow and see how I fair, as I normally hammer myself and die after 3 laps.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’m in. Solo rider and I’ll be on a Whyte 905RS or an ancient Yellow Genesis iOID. Wearing ALDI bike kit!!

I’ll be slow.

Just back from a night flight from the US, so practiced in sleep deprivation…

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

I’ll be there, mixed team of 5 vets, my first one for 9/10 years after doing 9 straight. More of a social and revisit to times gone by.

On either be on my dune fatty or SS Karate Monkey and generally chatting all and sundry on my way round.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m in. Solo Vets again. Riding an Orange Orbea Occam 29, riding for team jmc although after hardly any riding for a month after over-extending my knee and a bad back I’m not hopeful of beating my 18th place last year. I’m hoping the missus gives me the MTFU speech as i try to bail after 3 hours!!. Come say hi. Big motorhome trackside with Yorkshire flag flying.

Pyro

a man with the best beard in Yorkshire (officially)

Does that mean you’ve got Wayne with you? Tell him I say hello.

tang
    Free Member

Staff here. Just finished putting the course in. Some new bits to look forward to…conditions are currently roasting and bone dry. Set good for the weekend! I’ll have a radio and be rolling about on this.

akira

Could you hide some beers at the far side of the course to help motivate me in the usual 3am slump?

Jason
    Free Member

There in a team of ten. The team is made up of parents from my daughters school. A total mix of riding ability in the group, although we have found a good runner for the run. We are there for a bit of fun, no chance of getting near the podium. We will be the ones with hundreds of kids in our camping area.

Missed it last year, which was the first one I have missed for about ten years. Looks like it should be a great weekend.

tazzymtb

@pyro I’ll give him a big snog and a bottom fondle from you

tweedviper
    Free Member

I will be there looking forward to Tang and gang’s course this year,they have been excellent in the past, think it will be my 10th in one form or another and will be riding solo on either a Spesh Enduro 160mm travel lunker or Spesh 29er hardtail depending on my bum condition!! easy to spot as I am 18 stone and Only wear Hawaiian shirts, may start with my favourite pink one so wear shades

stwhannah

I appear to be attempting my first 24hr race. Oh, and since everyone in the team who talked me into it has dropped out, I’m doing it solo. What can possibly go wrong?

On the plus side, I have managed to bag the S Works Epic. I probably doubled its weight this morning by adding a tried and tested bottom friendly saddle.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’m cheating and doing a team of ten, with Rubber Buccaneer and some others, I’ll be riding my Son’s Superfly 6 as my Sync has cracked and it’s outside warranty 🙁

spence
    Free Member

Two teams of four. First time for all of us, Clueless as to what it’ll be like but it seemed like a good idea in the curry house last Christma.

TheSanityAssassin

I’m there again, as part of a mixed 5 from Hudds Star Wheelers. We’ve got 4 teams this year, but it’s more social than racing snakes. I’ll be arriving tomorrow dinner time and looking for a huge pitch for everyone!

rickk

Team of four easily averaging out at vet status, probably about 30 mayhems between us plus a few sleepless. So glad to have committed to this especially if it’s going to be a swansong. I’m not expecting to do another… As usual we’re there for the sake of being there, not a hope of winning anything, but hope for a good craic. Getting excited now!

shortcut

Yep – I shall be there, riding in a team of 4.

mikertroid
    Free Member

#167 having a rough time with the cramps. Waiting for it to cool down before I attempt to ride again 🙁

stwhannah

14 laps. Called it quits at 5 am after lap 13 when it became obvious I wasn’t gaining on 3rd place rider, despite legs still turning ok. Leg ok really but ow the pain in my behind and hands – blisters. Went out for the final lurker lap. Oh the heat. Remind me never to book a nice mtb holiday somewhere hot and sunny. Now in the ST van on the way home. Every time I close my eyes I see bits of trail, every sideways movement I think I’ve caught a rut. Chapeau to all you lot working a lot harder at it than me.

monkeyboyjc

I was there in a team of 5, awesome event, lots of fun and my first 24.
    I have no idea how you 24hr boys go it as it was hard enough doing a lap every 4/5 hours….

gee
    Free Member

What an amazing weekend at the last Mountain Mayhem 24hr race at Gatcombe Park. My first Mayhem was back in 2001 at Sandwell Park Farm and I’ve done 17 since. I’ve been doing this race for nearly half my life. It took 14 years to finally get a win, which we finally did in 2015 and 2016. 3rd Solo in 2006 was a really highlight. So much has happened both in terms of cycling and the rest of my life since those early days back in 2001 – and without Mayhem, maybe the last 16 years would never have happened.

Everyone at Mayhem has so much to thank Pat and co for; it’s been amazing.

This year we’ve come second to a very youthful team – they rode a great race. The course was amazing – the lap has developed really well over the years. The new singletrack sections this year were brilliant. My final lap was a touch emotional; it’s been a hell of a time, so many memories… cadets setting fire to the course, dead fish blocking dirtworkers, London philharmonic playing as I pushed a 50lb bike buried under Easnor clay up to the momunment, losing by 90 seconds in 2014… so many memories.

Thanks Pat (and Ag and Vin!)

steve_b77
    Free Member

A cracking swan song for what is/ was Mayhem 24hr.

I dragged myself round solo 16 laps but the heat on Saturday destroyed me, so not wanting to do some permanent damage I called it quits at 6am this morning.

Massive kudos to those in solo who managed the whole 24 and to everyone who turned out, great chat all round the course even in the wee hours.

I’ll look forward to whatever it becomes.

pictonroad

Great post Gee.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Soooo pleased as punch to have finally got myself to the start, and finish, line of Mountain Mayhem as a soloist. I always said I would never race again but felt a bit obliged, what with it being the last one n all. MM has held a place in many MTBkers hearts for years, whether as a team rider, spectator or soloist….hats off to Pat and all the crew for keeping the magic alive for so long.

Was only supposed to be doing it for fun but got a bit carried away and ended up taking second place with 20 laps. Can’t quite believe I managed to podium after so little endurance work this year. Was strong for the first 18 hours and then rapidly started to struggle for legs, then head, then the will to live ha. I don’t think I have ever had to walk so many climbs in all my life, and I had a super easy granny gear. Goodness knows how the singlespeeders do it. Just amazing. I’ve never been so grateful for a frayed gear cable at 10:30 am Sunday. That put the final nail in the coffin for any thoughts of ‘just one more lap’, but, hand on heart, I doubt I would have made it round another in one piece anyway. Definitely gave it everything I had by that point.

Was a top notch. well organised, and exceptionally friendly event. It’s a shame to see it go.

tazzymtb

Stonking event as always, was having a great time until I hoofed a tree stump in the wee hours and broke a couple of toes and cracked my shoe sole. The single speeders mosh or walk option for the hills was a lot less funny for next lap and a half 🙂 great folks and tip top atmosphere, can’t wait to see the next incarnation whatever it may be.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem 24hr roll call’ is closed to new replies.