Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Mountain king Vs speed king – rate em or hate em?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

2.4 mountain king Vs 2.3 Speed king

Both folding

Which would be best in teh wet peaks?

z1ppy

just got the on-one email?

nbt

2 for one @ on-one at the moment on those, will keep an eye on this thread

Pieface

A ridign partner gets on fie with MKs in the Peak

racing_ralph
    Free Member

who is that Will?

Pieface

No-one you know.

But his attitude to tyres is fairly open. Basically given the terrain in the peaks is so variable no one tyre will be idela.

That and everyone on this forum slates MKs and he'd pwn most of them up or down most rides.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol – not si "jedi knight" hill then? his word is teh gospel!

Pieface

Not Si.

For the winter I think you need something like fat trailrakers for when its proper gloopy. I found that they don't come wide enough for the rocky sections.

Since Spring I've been using Advantages that have been Ok in mud, but probably want something with bigger tread in winter.

High rollers?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Currently using Eskar 2bliss (spesh) which are a combo of the tread on a High Roller and ADvantage but they seem to have quite weak sidewalls (not very abrasion resistant) – grip well at a certain pressure sweetspot otherwise they are shit!

nickc

MK2.4 are fine, a little roly on thin rims maybe. Speed kings need a lot of pressure, other wise they puncture pretty easy.

cxi
    Free Member

Not a fan of the PunctureSpeed Kings after 4 punctures on a single Lakes ride.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Having used both, I find the 2.4 MKs are great in the Peak. (Unusual opinion for here I know) No problem with pinch flats with enough air in them.

Don't like the SpeedKings in the wet though. At least not on the front

glenp
    Free Member

I don't mind MKs, but you need to ride a bit light to look after them. They are quite flimsy, if fast.

Prob go back to something a bit more grippy when I get through these.

vdubber67
    Free Member

oh and nickc is right about the 2.4s on thin rims above…!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Never used SK's but MK's are a great off-road tyre but two observations

(a) They're horrible on tar – slow, slow, slow
    (b) Is it me or are they particularly good at 'hiding' thorns?

g6dcs
    Free Member

I like the Speedkings as quite fast rolling as they came on my P7. The standard speedkings puncture really easily, in fact I have never had so many punctures, my mates thought I was cursed!!!! I have also tried the puncture protection model and they are better but I have still had a couple of punctures with them!!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

thin rims are not a problem – stans flows here 🙂

whytetrash

I wouldn't use either UNLESS they are Black Chilli compound…there are a set of MK's in my club looking for their third owner, mate blagged them of me despite my warnings, sketchy as f$$k in the wet, same for SK's use them for Dyfi and Marin Rough Ride cos they are ace at eating up miles but NO Grip if it's wet and puncture prone on tubes.

Scootash
    Free Member

Don't buy em unless they're the protection version. I had the cheapest ones (12 quid each from Wiggle) and they punctured every ride, repeatedly. Switched to the 35 quid black chilli protection MKs and they're great. Keep the pressure up though – had 2 pinch punctures. Fantastic 3 season tyre, just did the Peaks and 5 days in the Cairngorms on them – you can really
    hit some stupid big rocks and they just soak it up – running 2.4 front
    and rear. Will be buying some more shortly for the 2nd hardtail.

nasher
    Free Member

They are probably the worst tyre I have ever used.

They come stock on laiperre spicy's and I immediately got rid of them.

they are so thin on the sidealls that they pinch and puncture very easily, also roll horribly…. i thinkl the manufacturer specced them as they are so light………..too light as they dont do a proper job.

UK-FLATLANDER

Had MK USTs on my 5 Spot for over a year, including two trips to the Alps had no problems at all.

tazzymtb

2.3 speedking supersonics with stans sealant..go like stink and no problems in the peak district if you're a finesse rider. If you're a lardy boy with no skill who just bangs through stuff then avoid like plague.

Kahurangi

I like my MK 2.4's. Supersonic black chilli folding survived dyfi fine.

Are the ones BOGOF from O-O black chilli? for that price I imagine they'll be something hard and awful!

Northwind

I had a set of 2.2 MK Supersonics for a very short time, horrible tyres. No punctures but they just didn't stick to anything much, and they weren't fast enough to make that excusable. Others seem to love them though. Compared to my small block 8s they're a joke tbh, slower and less grippy, and only marginally better with mud.

specializedneeds

Oh joy, another Conti tyre thread. Yawn.
    Is this really going to reveal anything using the search function wouldn't? Some rate them, some hate them, ad infinitum.

(guess who's grumpy today)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

2.4 mountain kings to be run tubeless on the way – no pinch puncture problems then i hope

robhughes
    Free Member

just bought a pair of mk,s from onone.let the fun comence.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Mountain king Vs speed king – rate em or hate em?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM