Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mountain Biking in Sierra Nevada,Spain
  • TeamAldi
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a company which offers good riding (off road) and accommodation?

Thanks

Leku
    Free Member

http://switch-backs.com/bubion/

Have been riding with them twice and heading back in October.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

+1 for Switchbacks. Good riding, guiding, and stunning location in Moorish white village of Bubion. A great bunch of lads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for switchbacks

If you’re brave ask to ride the lemming, if you’re not brave you’ll probably end up a crying jibbering wreck on what seems like the 30th switchback and there’s still what looks like a 400ft cliff to go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Joyriders, Brilliant.

stumpy01

Ciclo Montana are definitely worth a shout…

smogmonster

FreerideSpain are based there as well. Had a couple of holidays with them years ago which were good. How they fare these days though is anyones guess as we tend to head to The Alps these days instead.

cakeeater
    Free Member

Switchbacks without a doubt. Had a week with them back in May and had a great time. Great hospitality from Michael and Dave. The riding is top class, check their website and Facebook for more info, photos and video. Bubion is a nice little place with good restaurants and great tapas from the main bar. Highly recommend.

Leku
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMGP0599 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

Spot the route!

[/url]
    d70122 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

Accommodation.

[/url]
    d70042 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

Remember dust?

FuzzyWuzzy

ridesierranevada.com are worth checking out to, more XC/AM than FR/DH though when I went (although I guess that depends on what the group wants to)

Yetiman
    Free Member

Another vote for Ciclo Montana…..fantastic people, great food, great accomodation and awesome biking.

alibongo001

Make sure you to the ascent to Mulhacon.

3500m high, but its a great feeling to know you have 2km of vertical drop to do on the way down.

(Dont use small block 8’s, our group of 6 had over 20 punctures on the way down 🙁 )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC Ciclo are based in the same valley as Switchbacks, just lower down and ride a lot of the same trails, they also apprently do more XC stuff as well including 12 hour epics.

My one criticism of Switchbacks might be the length of the rides, it’s enough to knacker you by the end of 6 days but my oppinion of bike hollidays is I’m there to ride so would rather do 9am starts than 10:30 and ride untill the bar’s open for dinner.

TeamAldi
    Free Member

Great – many thanks.

swavis

I’ve been with Switchbacks and Ciclo and when I go back it will be with Ciclo. Both good but I just felt Ciclo were a little more organized and we got a good deal more riding in.
    And if they offer you the opportunity to head over to Granada for the descent into the city and street riding, do it! Absolutely awesome!! 😀

goslow

Been with both Switchbacks and CicloMontana. I’ll stick with Ciclo.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

On balance I’d say Minus 1 for Switchbacks.

It was a few years ago now, so may well have changed, but the group ended up as 12 riders with 1 guide. As a result there was a big mis-match of abilities meaning a lot of waiting around and/or doing trails that weren’t right for everyone’s ability.

Freeridespain was more xc than Switchbacks and the food rather basic but aside from that the group was smaller and better to suited to the ability of all the riders.

rickmeister

Another for Marko, Jackie, Dave Froy and the gang at Ciclo.. Also, Granada street riding and teh Holy Trail are pretty special…

Veteran of 5+ years and there is still new stuff to do.

Punctures… its thorns in Spain. Tubeless is a must…

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Please check us out too at
    http://www.bikingandalucia.com
    in Orgiva
    unbeatable in terms of value, trails etc

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Went out to the Sierra Nevadas with CicloMontana in October last year – not saying i enjoyed it or owt but i’m back there again in the 1st week in October!

Might not mean much to some, but the fac they lay on an evening meal and everyone eats communally was pretty important to me as i was travelling solo.
    The riding is great fun, can be pretty tough if you’re rubbish at switchbacks like me but the views are incredible, the amount of food you get at both the evening meal (cheers Jackie) and in the little pitstops for the midday meal (10 Euros per day) was incredible, think i came home wider!

rc200f8
    Free Member

Been going to Ciclo almost every year since 1998 & off again in October. Been with various other companies in the alps & Dolomites, not tried any others in Spain though, but keep on coming back to Ciclo, the overall package is the best I’ve been to.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Whaen chatting with Marko last year, i asked him what his return rate was like.
    He told me 70% of his annual bookings were returnee’s from previous trips.

Think that says pretty much everything you really need to know about Ciclo.

Ibiza…not normally the place to think of for MTB but is a haven for biking. Also not as hot as southern spain more perfect temperature. Great place to be.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ciclo for many years. From the old place and the new. Never got there this year, but my buddies did. Sad that Popeye has gone to a new home in the sky and Dave Froy is into ballroom dancing !!!! Got permission for next year mind !! Bring it on………

kenm
    Free Member

Another vote for RideSierraNevada. We had a fantastic week out there a couple of years ago. Great trails, great scenery, great sandwiches for lunch.

In fact, I must get back out there now I’ve got a decent bike !

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Not been up to Bubion but have been to Malaga with Switchbacks DH twice now and can’t praise them enough. Very professional, very accomodating, first class service and Michael is an absolute legend. Oh, and the accomodation has to be seen to be believed; when they refer to it as the mansion, they are not exaggerating.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Biking in Sierra Nevada,Spain’ is closed to new replies.