Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Mountain bikers buy Rapha
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    tomhoward

I wear their bibs most of the time, and their long sleeve warmer jerseys in winter on my mtb.

Dey is gud

wwaswas

The Walmart-Rapha cycling squad covers both ends of the spectrum really.

failedengineer

Excellent. Can we look forward to Team Sky stuff in th’Asda?

Ridiculously overpriced stuff for gear snobs. IMHO.

simondbarnes

Can we look forward to Team Sky stuff in th’Asda?

Only if they have some old stuff kicking about that they need to get rid of. Castelli provide Team Sky’s clothing these days.

atlaz
    Free Member

Have you worn any Rapha kit for any length of time? The jerseys are good but not significantly better than others I own but the Rapha bibs I own are hands down the best I’ve worn.

It was only a matter of time before the investors wanted to sell; it’s a good haul for them and Simon Mottram.

nick1962
    Free Member

ow the world’s biggest retailer with sales of $485 million in 2016,

Do journalists/editors ever check their figures/copy?

vinnyeh

not much humbleness in evidence. 🙂

mattyfez

I think a more accurate headline would be

RZC Investments buy…

johnnystorm

failedengineer – Member
    Excellent. Can we look forward to Team Sky stuff in th’Asda?

Nope on the first count as they wear Castelli and the second point is just inverted snobbery, it’s great kit. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think a more accurate headline would be
    RZC Investments buy…

Please accept a full refund.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good title….caught me out at first!!

Superficial
    Free Member

I quite often wear my Rapha Cx Jersey out on my MTB.

I realise that comment wasn’t particularly related to the OP.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Does anyone actually wear a bib on an MTB?
    Anyone who tried this in our group would be ruthlessly mocked without mercy.
    Same goes for tights.

tomhoward

Same goes for tights.

Under baggies, lots of folk do.

aP
    Free Member

oldtalent – Member
    Same goes for tights.

Remembers not to ride with past-talent

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes. Under baggies. They’re more comfortable.

Same goes for tights.

I ride all year round, in all weathers. Tights make sense in the depths of winter. More sense than some misguided sense of fashion!

joemmo
    Free Member

I had no idea there were cycling ‘groups’ that cared so deeply about each others undergarments.

Bib shorts or 3/4s under baggies are fine and a good way to extend the use of your bike wardrobe. As for Rapha… if you want to get all het up then there will be a perma-post on any number of roadie sites where you can rattle on about it to your heart’s content.

Superficial
    Free Member

Of course. Duh.

ratherbeintobago

Under baggies, lots of folk do.

This.

stumpy01

oldtalent – Member

Perhaps you have these:

confused, with these….?

If that’s the case, I can understand:

oldtalent – Member

Otherwise, I’m not so sure…..

johnnystorm

oldtalent – Member
    Same goes for tights

Does anyone ride their bike in clothes designed for riding your bike in?

What do you wear, out of a matter of interest? ❓

RustySpanner

Bibs are great.

Your mates sound like a bunch of nobz.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are tights any more “noteworthy” than the “middle aged skate boarder look”?

Wear what you like, we generally look a bit silly in both, but they do the job, so what’s the hassle.

Getting away form the funny title thought !!

failedengineer

I stand by my comments on the prices. I’m assuming they’re not made in the UK, or even Europe. Blatant profiteering.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

As opposed to what? How much profit do you think they make on a pair of bibs, how much would you consider acceptable and what is the profit made both in £ and % on a pair made by your “approved” supplier?

IHN

Profiteering is hording an essential item and then forcing people to buy it.

Selling cycling tops for a lot of money is not profiteering.

daern
    Free Member

Yes, me. They are fantastically practical and I rarely wear anything else. Mostly, they are under my other kit so you can’t really tell anyway.

Good for them. I’d ride with someone else.

Same goes for tights

Tights are immensely practical in the winter and I wear them throughout (although usually with baggies over the top as they have pockets!)

Damn it, why do people have to mock others for what they choose to use when riding. I wonder if they’d be as tolerant if I told them their bike was shit and they looked a muppet riding it… :-/

soulrider
    Free Member

I race XC and Endurance (10/12/24hr) Events.. I proudly wear my Lycra bibs out there not hidden under baggies…

chakaping
    Free Member

Total rip-off for £200m.

You could get the same amount of Aldi cycling gear for £40m and it does the exact same job.

failedengineer

I don’t have an approved supplier and I have no idea what profit was made on any of my clothing. People are free to buy from Rapha or any other aspirational brand. I just think that a lot of people must have a very large disposable income in ‘austerity’ Britain for companies like Rapha to exist. Good luck to them, another, trendier, brand will be along soon no doubt.

joefm

Rapha make me laugh. Trying to be hipster and stylish but then you realise you are still wearing lycra!

rone

Does anyone ride their bike in clothes designed for riding your bike in?

PMSL

monkeyboyjc

I’ve a few mates that swear by Rapha stuff – but personally I can’t justify the 4x price tag over other clothing that does the job if not just as well, 99% there.
    Much in the same way I can’t justify or afford spending 8 or 10k on bike over 2.5k.

But theres always someone out there that can and will. And TBH, if I had the cash I’d probably buy some of their stuff for the road.

BadlyWiredDog

Gear for Team Sky fanboiyz who drive single-ring T5s wearing bibs IMHO. Anyone doing such a thing in my riding group would be ruthlessly beaten and left for dead by the side of the road. I’m by no means a judgemental person, but I fail to see anyone else’s point of view as I have no imagination. I can’t believe imagination is so expensive, I just don’t get it etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

oldtalent – Member 

This is STW, so as a roadie forum 😛 , everyone wears them here.

😉

Anyway, obvious but… when will ASDA be stocking the stuff? 😀

jamj1974

oldtalent – Member

Nowadays only under 3/4 waterproof baggies in the wet and cold But yes, I do. By all means mock away – I’m not troubled, but I will have a lovely warm back!

Same goes for tights.

I’m not sure you are as old as your name suggests… Back in the late ’80’s and into the ’90’s, it was a choice between Ronhills, which were ok’ish – or Roubaix tights which did at least keep you warm and meant you could stay out a decent time.

IdleJon

but I fail to see anyone else’s point of view as I have no imagination. I can’t believe imagination is so expensive

I was in Lidl earlier, they had some imagination on sale. Cheaper than Rapha but the padding isn’t comfortable. (It’s near the oven, next to the seasonal Spanish tapas aisle.) I didn’t buy any cos I spent my last pennies on some baguette and South African Shiraz.

Digby

Ronhills, which were ok’ish

No … they weren’t, they still aren’t … and they never will be! 😉

jamj1974

No … they weren’t, they still aren’t … and they never will be!

I never actually bought them myself – but in 1987, there was bugger all choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bikers buy Rapha’ is closed to new replies.