Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Mouldy bread…safe or not ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Bought some of these for lunch from waitrose

waitrose

ate one then noticed that some of them had mold on the base of the role

feeling very paranoid that Im gonna get ill in a bad way…spoke to a colleague who was really helpful and said ahh you’ll be fine but some mold is dangerous !

joking aside I do get paniky over stuff like this so will ignore all the pee takers …

serious answers please

Jamie
    Free Member

serious answers please

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Can’t see a bit of mouldy bread causing you a visit from the reaper personally , but i’m no expert , just going from my experiance .

dmorts

I saw a TV programme on this a few weeks ago. Some mould that grew on the bread was harmless and was actually Penicillin. However there was some mould that produced a toxin which is in the class of most lethal toxins in the world. Hope this helps.

wwaswas

I do get paniky over stuff like this

I’d walk away from the thread now, then.

And certainly don’t google ‘death by bread mould’.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

**Roll**

iolo
    Free Member

Just eat it. Anyone who eats focaccia from Waitrose deserves all he gets

Kryton57

dmorts – Member
    I saw a TV programme on this a few weeks ago. Some mould that grew on the bread was harmless and was actually Penicillin. However there was some mould that would produce a toxin which is in the class of most lethal toxins in the world. Hope this helps.

I saw that, don’t eat mouldy bread.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Just eat it. Anyone who eats focaccia from Waitrose deserves all he gets

it was reduced to 85p I just couldn’t handle eating sardines for lunch again !

dmorts

Here it is: Food Unwrapped on 4OD

anjs
    Free Member

its the aflatoxins you have to watch out for. They can make a real mess of your liver and have the potential to give you cancer

molgrips
    Free Member

I have eaten plenty of moldy bread. There are at least two kinds though, blue and white. I’ve no idea which, if either is bad.

I do know though that there’s a dangerous and hallucinogenic one that grows on rye.

tonyd

Given the choice of mouldy bread for lunch or no lunch, mouldy bread every time! It’s not bad with a bit of weevil sprinkled in.

Is it just me or is mouldy quite a strange word?

GrahamS

I tend to just use mouldy bread for toast… 😕

jackthedog
    Free Member

I won’t eat mouldy bread knowingly, but quite a few times (including twice over the past month) I’ve noticed it once it was too late. I’m not dead of BREAD AIDS yet.

I wouldn’t worry. I’d return what remains and ask for a refund from the shop though, if for no other reason than to make them aware of the mistake so it might be less likely to happen to others.

anjs
    Free Member

ergot on the rye breads

GrahamS

ergot on the rye

Sequels are always hard to write, but fair play to Salinger for trying.

qwerty
    Free Member

Given that you brought it from Waitrose its probably worth having a proper vocal tantrum in store with the aim of some free stuff or vouchers.

DaRC_L

ergot on the rye breads

burn ’em they’re all witches

butcher

I saw a TV programme on this a few weeks ago. Some mould that grew on the bread was harmless and was actually Penicillin. However there was some mould that produced a toxin which is in the class of most lethal toxins in the world. Hope this helps.

I watched this too. To be fair, I think the really, really bad stuff was the product of months worth of mould (or the equivalent of – I think they speeded the process up).

MrsToast
    Free Member

I once ate half of a bacon sandwich from the cafe at Birches Valley at Cannock Chase before noticing mould on the crust. I was mildly disgusted, but I didn’t die. Didn’t even get the runs! Oh happy day! \o/

njee20
    Free Member

Chapeau, that’s brilliant! Just lol’d on a fairly busy train!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, superb!

enfht
    Free Member

You only “see” mould when it’s reached the fruiting phase, so the mould can be counted as one of your 5 a day.

Jamie
    Free Member

Especially seeing as he’s brown bread.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

no bum rushes yet… 😮

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ve given it to my kids twice in the last couple of months with no ill effects detected so far.
    *Not deliberately*

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

think im safe now !

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve done it but it tastes so disgusting, not sure why anyone would eat it willingly!

elaineanne
    Free Member

urrgggyhh dont eat….youll turn into a mouldy monster :wink:…..bread goes off really quickly in this heat we are experiencing at the mo…. last year i remember i bought a loaf of bread from morrisons, made bacon butty, and just as hubby was about to put the buttty in his mouth ,…..out popped a couple of maggots…urgghhh…that was awful..hahhahaha….bought and used the bread same day (but not used after seeing that ….geezzzzzzzzzzz 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Mouldy bread…safe or not ?’ is closed to new replies.