Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Motorbike operators. What’s my clunk?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Have you or anyone drained the gearbox oil yet?
    Any bits in it? Any silvery/grey streaks in the drained oil?

Stick a Bandit engine in it?

kayak23

The shop drained the oil to remove the clutch. Didn’t say owt about any chunks of metal in it.

I can’t understand why they didn’t do what you suggested with suspected gearbox issues and split the filter for a look…. 😐

I’d like to do it myself but seems wrong having just put twenty notes worth of new oil in it!

Stick a Bandit engine in it?

Interesting 🤔

I actually found another engine for sale on eBay for about 350, but I just wonder if it’s better the devil you kinda know. ..

boblo
    Free Member

If it’s not too much of a concern (?) run it this season and rebuild it in the Autumn. You’ll get your £20 worth but risk presumably more than that in consequential damage…

finishthat
    Free Member

Gearbox failure whilst riding is not worth the risk, having the sense to notice and take action is
    definitely good.
    I would pull the engine out and take the bottom cover off to have a look, nothing to loose as it would not be safe to sell on in case somebody decided to ignore the clunk, or worse sold on to an unwitting rider. (assuming the engine has the gearbox visible/viewable with the case split that way)

kayak23

I was going to call the bike shop this week and arrange for them to rebuild the gearbox. Ready to tackle a massive bill of probably 800 odd or so.

Anyway, I thought sod it, I’m just going to stick a new chain and sprockets on there just to rule it out 100% for £96

Goldie Lookin’ Chain

Well, I’ve only had a quick spin around the block as it’s wazzing down and I’ve got shorts on but, it would appear to not be making the noise!!!

Got to take it for a proper ride when it’s dry but initial impressions look promising.

The bike shop said my chain and sprockets were fine, and they looked pretty serviceable when I removed them to be fair, but there you go. Maybe I’m sorted! 😊

*Thread returns next week when noise returns…

timbog160

Great news if sorted!! But lose the shorts when riding😳….as in replace them with something more suitable, even for a short trip – ask me how I know 😂

kayak23

How do you know?

Yeah I wouldn’t normally wear shorts on the bike, but it was a quick on the way home sort of job and they go with my string vest.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike operators. What’s my clunk?’ is closed to new replies.