Home Forums Chat Forum MOT messages – Steering system slightly rough (2.2.D.1)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MOT messages – Steering system slightly rough (2.2.D.1)
  • DickBarton

Does anyone know what this actually means and what might need done to rectify this?

I’ve found a potential Berlingo that matches my list of requirements and having just checked the MOT history, it has this on it’s first MOT.

I’m pretty clueless about cars so have no idea what that actually means nor what could possible be the cause and therefore the cure for it.

Any mechanically minded people (or car mechanics!) who would know what the likely causes are for this and what might need fixing (and how soon)?

It is the closest car that I’ve found to me and is about 130 miles away – so it is a reasonably long drive to check it out if this is something that will add a serious cost to the vehicle.

Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

50 pence on the lower uj between steering column an steering rack is needing lubbed.

Manifests it’s self with a notchy self steering type of feeling when held in corners.

May need replacing but if it’s only just had its first MOT I’d doubt it

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It’s a traditional hydraulic system so check the colour of the fluid.

mick_r

Is that the first (and most recent) MOT or something in the past?

We’ve got a Dispatch Combi from 2008 with a similar 1.6 HDI (I’m guessing yours is diesel). It has a different engine map to Berlingo but maybe the same PAS pump.

From new it had a slight hydraulic graunch / resonance noise if you steer when stationary with engine at idle. Raise engine revs or steer with vehicle rolling slowly (lower steering loads) and it is not there. It was a known issue with no particular fix under warranty and has never been flagged on any MOT. 8.5 years and 89,000 miles our issue hasn’t changed or been a problem.

So I’d ask for some more information from the owner regarding what exactly was flagged by the MOT (roughness as noise or roughness as feeling through steering wheel).

DickBarton

Car hasn’t been bought yet – it is on a garage website and I thought I’d plug the reg in to a car checker to see if it had any faults/issues. MOT has just been done – about a fortnight ago and will be the first one as it was registered in Jan ’14. I think it has been with the garage for a couple of months (advert still has the fact the MOT runs out at end of January, so I’m guessing when it was first advertised it still had a valid MOT).

It is the 115bhp model of the 1.6 HDi engine – about 16k miles on the clock.

I’m looking for the XTR model Berlingo and it needs to be 2014 or newer as it has the split tailgate and the individually removable rear seats, also needs to be ideally below £9k so the things are incredibly rare i.e. a huge distance to go to look at them.

So get them to check the power steering fluid? And ask if the uj (Universal Joint?) has been lubed?

mick_r

I presume it is just an advisory on the MOT otherwise it would have needed to be fixed to pass?

If it is a rare model and exactly what you want then surely worth a few telephone calls. Ask the sellers to explain more. Get them to tell you who did the MOT and talk direct to the tester (they should be able to explain what they meant within that kind of timeframe).

Worst case is going to be a pump, steering rack or column. Would they be covered on the seller’s warranty? Or show them you are serious about buying but make fixing it now a condition of sale.

DickBarton

Yes, an advisory…I’m trying to get an idea of potential time before failure (and what the failure could be)…it will be used as a bargaining chip in discussions about cost but I’d like to know a bit more in case it is a £00’s fix or a £0,000’s fix (obviously depends on extent of ‘damage’).

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Probably top strut bearings on there way out , common issue on berlingos , need to remove struts to replace , best way to check is to disconnect track rod ends and then turn road wheel to check for roughness

DickBarton

Ok, I have no idea what that means, is it a big job and is it pricey?

spooky_b329

I traded my car in when it started drinking power steering fluid. Dealer told me it would be scrapped but it must have got auctioned. The following MOT had a huge list of failures, one being steering extremely rough.

I’d say there are enough Berlingo’s on the market to pass on it, unless the dealer will rectify.

I was told mine would need a new steering rack which was something like £2 grand. Didn’t investigate breakers etc…

DickBarton

Hmm, it isn’t that popular in the guise I’d like for that price…even the 90bhp version is a distance away…140 miles…

parkesie
    Free Member

Strut tops 2 or 3 hrs labour I’d guess £40 parts. Steering Uj cheap part usually easy enough to change don’t know specifically on a berlingo. Worst case is a rack anywhere from 300 to 1000 depending on who’s fiting and what rack. Recon Oem or pattern part

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MOT messages – Steering system slightly rough (2.2.D.1)’ is closed to new replies.