Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Most unusual road kill you’ve seen whilst cycling?
  • silverpigeon
    Free Member

I only ask because today I rode past a dead seal!

A seal! In the middle of the road!

Makes a change from the usual rabbits/hedgehogs/occasional fox that I used to see on UK rides.

FAIL
    Free Member

A spacehopper. I spotted one of its ornage horns sticking up through the leaves and rubbish at the side of the road. A sad end for mr hoppy.

Anna-B
    Free Member

A heron. I went back for another look.

matt_outandabout

A seal? What are you blubbering on about?

CliveA

Tortoise and badger for me.

But a seal? Wow.

I take it you’re by the sea… (please tell me you’re not)

david_r
    Free Member

A crispy dead body in a burnt out car. I kept my distance and didn’t go and look at it personally (that would of given me nightmares), but some of the ride group did.

Car was still warm. Place was swarming with rozzers when we rode back past later.

Suicide apparently 🙁

ebygomm
    Free Member

An armadillo

nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks for that David! That’s quite literally road kill.

brakes
    Free Member

Dave Lee Travis

woffle
    Free Member

Not exactly roadkill but a dyson vacuum cleaner. In the middle of the road in the middle of the Sussex countryside, in excellent condition. Would have taken it home but didn’t fancy 15 miles on a bike carrying a hoover

( that aside, nothing unusual – weasel, rats, badgers, foxes and even a deer)

nickegg
    Free Member

Badgers,deer,fox,rabbits,squirrels and birds around here.

The odd toad if i’m lucky. Found a dead badger in my local woods yesterday. The trail passes over the top of a set and it was right next to the trail so i hope it wasn’t killed by a someone out on a night ride 🙁

I’ve come pretty close to running a few badgers over myself whilst out on night rides.

Moses

A hare on the road, still warm, near Craster.
    I put it carefully aside in the verge & collected it later, carried it by zip-tying its hind legs together and putting them round the handlebars.
    Three decent meals for 4 later, yum yum yum

Moses

—and does a wallaby in Wales count, though that was when driving.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I take it you’re by the sea… (please tell me you’re not)

Yep. Live in Guernsey now and cycle into work along the coast. Weird thing is that I haven’t actually seen any live seals since coming here.

Must have gotten washed up on a high tide, but I can’t work out how it got over the sea wall and into the middle of the road.

Felt a bit sorry for the poor little blighter

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Saw a snake on Mt Keen a couple of weeks back. It was very much alive though.

MoreCashThanDash

I saw a mole in the gutter on the way home last night – was a first for me, anyway

sootyandjim
    Free Member

A Kangaroo, next to the A3 near Guildford! I phoned the RSPCA to let them know and they said it wasn’t anything to worry about, aparently there is an ‘exotic meat’ farm near Guildford and the occassional escapee related roadkill is not unknown.

StirlingCrispin

Not really roadkill as such, but while cycling in the US I spotted a snake lying on the road.

It looked dead and I was so tempted to prod it with my bicycle pump to check, but decided to leave that bit of excitement for later.

When I got back the snake had gone and so had just been basking.
    Turns out it was a water moccasin , an aggressive venomous snake.
    Yikes!

sputnik
    Free Member

Earlier this year I was on hols in South Africa and cycled past a MAHOOSIVE snake, glad it was dead (sorry 🙁 ), but had it been alive I would have had a hearattack.

slugwash
    Free Member

This thread is nothing without pictures…..

TimP
    Free Member

I am about to head out past a pheasant. The unusual thing is that it was my first and only kill (except insects). It gave me no chance as it casually strolled in front of my car last night…

TimP
    Free Member

Wow!! Looks like I need to get a photo

greasystain
    Free Member

Not exactly road kill… I happened upon a sheep with a couple of big bite marks out of it’s back and an ear missing once.

My cousin rode down the same bridle path a few day later and it was dead.

aaahhh.

AndyP
    Free Member

Another rider 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

A horse. It’d been hit by a milk wagon which had a huge great dint in the front end. Driver was stood around scratching his bum not sure what to do.

project
    Free Member

Sadly a man, who ran across the road without waiting for the green man, was hit by a bus, embedded in the windscreen draged along the road, before finally falling under front of bus, and out the back, over a distance of about 60 feet, the driver was highly traumatised, as was me.

colnagokid

A person! Jumped off a railway bridge onto the road below-luckly he was under a blanket when I passed.
    And though it wasnt dead, saw an escaped lama running down the road in Doncaster

Anna-B
    Free Member

Slugwash what are those dead things?! OK, I can ID pidge and mole. 3rd – weasel or stoat, first two have got me.

My bike buddy thinks I’m weird for stopping to look at dead things, but photographing them isn’t a progression I’ve made yet, gives me an idea though….

david_r
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure some pic’s were taken of Mr Crusty mentioned above.

Kimbers? I know you took pic’s you sick deviant.

trailmonkey

slugwash, I’m begining to worry about you 😯

mrdoubletake
    Free Member

A horse. It’d been hit by a milk wagon which had a huge great dint in the front end. Driver was stood around scratching his bum not sure what to do.

Why was the driver scratching the horses bum? is their not laws against that sort of thing?

boblo
    Free Member

A wombat (Oz), an F’ing great komodo dragon thing (as long as half the width of an A road) wandered across the road in front of the car (Malaysia), a grass snake (Blightly) and an Adder (Brittany). Nowt as weird as those hind legs above.

whyter

An otter. Up in the Moorfoot Hills near Edinburgh.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Passed a body under a blanket on the IOM many years ago – very sobering.

antigee

just drove home from a run around th glory that is Burbage Valley – woman stepped out in front of me (i was going slow) to pick a baby hedgehog up out of the road – unfortunately in her haste to put it back on the verge she dropped it down a drain…some people can be too helpful

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

a donkey, was dumped on Pitch Hill presumably by travellers sometime about 18 months ago. I guess they had dropped the dead donkey!

Baldysquirt

A Camel in Egypt – you could smell it for about a mile on the approach!

jojoA1
    Free Member

A pine marten up Glen Nevis and a salamander in Italy. A friend of mine killed a deer on their bike….

coffeeking
    Free Member

How the hell do you kill a deer on your bike? I’ve killed a bird (flew out of the hedge into my spokes) but a DEER?! I’m a heavy bloke but I’m fairly sure I’d come off worst in that argument!

AndyP
    Free Member

How the hell do you kill a deer on your bike
    very easy. What the deer is doing on your bike in the first place is a different matter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Most unusual road kill you’ve seen whilst cycling?’ is closed to new replies.