Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Morzine but not Morzine.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I am looking for somehwere to upskill the teenagers. We have done Morzine since the beginning of time and its getting boring now, just berms, berms groomed, berms for ever.
    I want to get them into single track tech etc, but the issue is the stuff I can ride around Morzine is like a quantum leap from the smooth bermed stuff and the kids just can’t ride it. I need a resort with some medium easy single tracky stuff, and lots of variety…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tignes
    DSC00870 (1280x960)

DSC00844 (960x1280)

as well as the flow trails they also have loads of (I think they called them) enduro trails which are rougher and techier and singletrackie

DSC00829 (960x1280)

Just follow the diamonds.
    DSC00824 (1280x960)

trail back to the campsite

DSC00711 (1280x960)

DSC01082 (1280x960)
    DSC01023 (960x1280)

then they’ve also got the standard flow trails

DSC01016 (1280x960)

chrisyork

Tinges is great, been there. Hey why don’t you check out the owlaps YouTube channel?

I only say this as he’s a French rider but also categorises his videos of alps trails by skill level, I’ve discovered that Le Saises looks great there too and for us not as far as Tignes would be again

zerocool

We’ve been going to Tignes for years, it’s great fun and you can link up a massively long trail down to Val D’Isere from the top of Tignes. And it’s never been very busy (we haven’t been for the last few years though).

Quite a few of my friends really rate Sameons but I’ve never been.

kayak23

Tignes was great. The lifts were free when we went. I expect they’re not anymore.

boxelder

Plus Tignes has the massive water slide/launch into the freezing lake 😆🤪

bfw
    mrl

Watching with interest! We went to morzine last year and while we had fun my daughter struggled on the blues (she was 8 and on a 24inch hardtail) so looking for different options. Sadly not this year, so hopefully being 10 and on a bigger bike will help as well!

weeksy

Tignes looks great !!! That may be added to next years potential trips.

5plusn8
    Free Member

We have done tignes, but it was not popular, most of the tracks are above the treeline so they get mega hard packed and it can be very exposed. Mid July and it was 10 degrees and windy as hell at the top.
    Morzine makes bad weather bearable as so much is in the trees.

chrismac

Tinges is very good. Pila just over the hill in Italy has a nice mix as does Les Arcs. In our opinion if your not into DH then almost everywhere is preferable to Morzine now.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Mid July and it was 10 degrees and windy as hell at the top

Is a good point. Both years we went the weather was great, so it wasn’t an issue, but if the weather craps out then it would indeed be tricky ( as evidenced by the tignes tour stage 3 years ago that got hailed off)

We did La Plagne, Les Arcs LaThuile, Meribel as well and none of them came close to Tignes for volume, breadth and quality of trails.

Especially once you factor in the free lift pass ( may not be free this year)

andrewreay

5plus8 I’ve had the same issue with my two. The jump from flowy trails to techie ones is a big one.

Most techie trails in the mountains have sketchy sections, even on the blues. If you want tech within trees, then the sketchiness only increases because of the abundance of roots!

Maybe try a trail centre (Whistler?😂) where there has been a lot of work and effort into making techie trails less daunting and graded accordingly.

Bike Park Wales might be an option to try before you head to the Alps. The likes of Merthyr Rocks and Wibbly Wobbly are probably exactly what your young ones are after.

Once they’ve got those trails dialled, head off to Morzine and show them what you know?

5plusn8
    Free Member

@andrewreay this is exactly where we are, Merthyr Rocks and Wibbly Wobbly tick, they can do most of Vicous Valley so I think we need a few more training trips.
    Whistler, oh yes please.

MSP

Alpe d’Huez with a day trip or 2 to le Deux Alpes, or vice versa.

I like the nature of the trails in le Deux Alpes more than Alpe d’Huez, although there is a lot more than I have explored in Alpe d’Huez. But le Deux Alpes is a bit of a horrible concrete resort, Alpe d’Huez is a nicer place to stay in.

It’s a few years since I have been, and I have drunk beer since, but iirc the blues in le Deux Alpe feel much more natural than Morzine.

Les Arcs is also an option, but the singletrack needs a lot more research to find the suitable routes, and a lot of the bike park feels like a quarried wasteland.

BillOddie

I came to take a look at peoples recommendations as we’re heading back to Alps next Summer.

We were in Tignes a few years back (when all the activities and lifts were free etc) and I thought it was amazing for a “Family Holiday with some Riding” but slightly compromised for a full on Riding Holiday.

That being said I’m sure I would have a lovely time if we went back.

ocrider

Never mind the Alps, try the Pyrenees. Loudenvielle, Grand Tourmalet and St Lary pretty much tick your boxes for flow-enduro progression and they’re all in proximity to each other like the Tarentaise resorts or Alpe d’Huez/L2A.

qwerty
    Free Member

how about Les Carroz for tamer stuff with Samoen just down the road for full on gnar.

Les Carroz Bike Park

I loved the green route at Les Carroz.

steveh

Are you looking for single destination/resort or multi spot trip? Driving or flying? How long for?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Driving, 2 weeks, happy to look at multispots, maybe a week in each or whatever.
    Liking the pyrenees idea. Fancy something different anyway, but need to keep the kids progression good.

bikerevivesheffield

I was going to say samoens too

steveh

Meribel area has the 3 valleys around on one lift pass and a good range of trails but generally not a cheap spot. Some epic 1500m plus vertical descents to the bottom of the valley and bus back up too.
    Les arcs area again has some fun bike park bits and epic singletrack, lack of funi from bourg this year is a shame as the alternative buses are much more of a pain but you could stay in 1600 or above and skip most of that.
    Samoens is a very steep hillside, I love the place but the bike park trails are pretty ruined and very rough so would not be my choice.
    Les carroz is fun for a couple of days max I’d think as only one blue and one green.
    Tignes/val d’isere, not my thing as all above the treeline and fairly small but could be good for a couple of days and not far from les arcs.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tignes/val d’isere, not my thing as all above the treeline and fairly small but could be good for a couple of days and not

I’m intrigued by this. Doesn’t Tignes ( Inc VD) have hugely more signed trails than anywhere else in the alps?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.