Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • More evidence of bikes still being built to "toy" not "proper" tolerances…
  • jhw
    Free Member

Lifted from Pinkbike. This would never, never happen in an MX race or a ski race, yet somehow bike manufacturers have created this aura of BS about their kit being space age, pioneering, amazingly advanced etc. It isn’t, it’s 2011 and bits are still snapping randomly on the trail! Things are no different from 1994.

The thing is this stuff makes our sport look completely Benny Hill, ridiculous, a farce. The sport is really being held back by the equipment.

/rantoff

LoCo
    Free Member

Along similar lines

RealMan
    Free Member

Too right, I’m well held back by my kit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bits are still snapping randomly on the trail!

Err, no they aren’t

That’s not just “a trail” is it?

It’s a downhill race. Which is a bit different.

LoCo
    Free Member

I’m held back by dh tyres while riding uphill if you overtake me 😀

wwaswas

and those Manitou forks are quite old aren’t they?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

jhw does have a point though.

I wonder how many pictures there are of motorcross or enduro bikes falling apart “randomly” or under intended use.

julianwilson
    Free Member

jhw: 😯

LoCo: 😯 😯 😯

mustard
    Free Member

Who built the forks (as in put them together), who serviced them, were they factory fresh or had they been ragged for a season and left to rot over winter?

Have they broken or just dismantled themselves, I can’t see from the picture?

In case you haven’t noticed; a MX bike is a significantly different beast to a mountain bike and I’ve seen broken skis and faulty bindings in top level ski races (on the tellybox).

scottidog
    Free Member

A DH Race on a DH Bike though, it shouldn’t happen.

If you will put your forks on upside down though….

DrDomRob
    Free Member

These are the google results for Motorcross bike forks snap

scottidog
    Free Member

I love the fork oil spraying up into his face in the shot, great timing by the photographer

treaclesponge
    Free Member

DH bike = 40-50lbs?
    MX bike = 250lbs+

Bit more room for the MX bike to be ‘overengineered’ than the DH bike.

LoCo
    Free Member

Julian the slomo of the fork lowers and wheel going past him 😯 exactly

clubber
    Free Member

Very poor rant. Proper spelling, no capitals, exclamations, etc and worst of all the pic does nothing to prove the OP’s point, only that in some cases, the circumstances of which we know nothing about, a fork can snap.

Must try MUCH harder.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve seen the forks on a superbike break in a superbike race.

AlexSimon

At least the guy’s got his brakes on – that’ll save him.

crazy-legs

A DH Race on a DH Bike though, it shouldn’t happen.

Racing is the hardest thing that any bit of kit has to cope with. It’s being proper ragged, right on the limit. And no-one knows the history behind that pic and the video. Has the bike been crashed previously, thus weakening the forks? Have the forks been properly maintained/serviced/checked? Is the rider any good or is he some ham-fisted muppet who’s been ploughing through rock gardens with all the finesse of a 3-legged donkey?

Look at any sport where kit is right on the limit – F1 for example. You still see cases of engines blowing up etc.

TheFlyingOx

Lifted from crash.net. This would never, never happen in a fishing tournament or a sponsored silence, and yet car manufacturers have created this aura of BS about their kit being space age, pioneering, amazingly advanced etc. It isn’t, it’s 2011 and suspension is still failing randomly on the track! Things are no different from 1894.

The thing is this stuff makes NCAAP “safety” ratings look completely Benny Hill, ridiculous, a farce. Etc., etc., etc.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

How many F1 cars fail under intended use?

Stuff breaks under hard use, deal with it.

EDIT: damn my slow typing!

andyl
    Free Member

cool picture but nothing ever breaks in any other sport/industry does it?

Doesnt matter how much your sports budget:

And then move onto one of the most highly regulated industries and play spot the missing engine:

and sometimes things are not your fault but cause you to suffer a failure:

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

That picture though and LoCo’s video doesn’t show the true picture. In the video it looks as if the fork lowers just drop off the uppers (not done up properly) and the in picture a whole host of things COULD have happened to the forks. They could even had visable cracks and the rider thought ‘ah they’ll be alright’ and had not consolted the engineering experts on STW!!

joeh2o
    Free Member

For an even more analogous F1 connection to those forks breaking, there’s Seb Buemi’s accident last year – total front suspension failure at 170mph under braking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVuvIPe0tc

toys19
    Free Member

ohh that AA191 over banked crash makes me shiver….

xiphon
    Free Member

Quite an old photo from the OP.

The snapper managed to get quite a few frames IIRC, so you could see the accident unfold.

bedmaker

How do you know he didn’t just buy those forks off cynic-al after he had ‘improved’ them?

xiphon
    Free Member

Video of snappage…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you really compare MX and skiing with DH? latter have much more predictable/consistent courses, speeds and impacts AFAIK. Weight certainly less of an issue on MX bikes and components are built to withstand weight of the bike which is way more than the rider.

And it’s “specification” rather than “tolerance” that you appear to be complaining of 😛

Pigface
    Free Member

I have seen a CCM in two parts, not what the designers intended.

glenh
    Free Member

If you look at that video xiphon posted, the stanchions seem to come away intact. It looks like the uppers and lowers separated rather than anything snapping, so probably most likely a poor mechanic.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Think his damping may be adrift now.

*slow claps jhw again*

BigJohn

I like the way he’s still got the front brake full on. To stop the wheel running away?

R.lepecha

On the video on pink bike someone suggests the bolts in the lowers were lose, Which would explain it..

daznal
    Free Member

To top it all off,that fork oil is a bugger to get off your clothes,just ask my missus

legend
    Free Member

Just in case anyone’s forgotten about this minor issue:[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3ybBIqBb4[/video]

(love the way he keeps steering 😉 )

My money’s on user error with the fork snappage too. I’m sure you can see more from the other photos, but the fact that only the very top of the lower legs look damaged makes me think they were barely attached when it all went tits up

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder how many pictures there are of motorcross or enduro bikes falling apart “randomly” or under intended use.

if you want to ride a bike of the weight of a motorbike it will be indestructible by a cyclist in normal use. At the weights we ride stuff will break when ridden on the limit [ ignoring the multiple list of causes on the vides]

McHamish
    Free Member

I know what thought was going through that guys head….”Oh F…”

7hz
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘More evidence of bikes still being built to "toy" not "proper" tolerances…’ is closed to new replies.