Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • mondraker foxy xr and coil shock?
  • Paul-j

Does any know if this is possible, i presume not. But its really the only thing putting me off buying one.

Any thoughts?

nickhead
    Free Member

I like the idea too, but don’t see how it would be possible… the shock ‘cage’ just has too little clearance to allow anything other than a non-piggyback air shock in there

Paul-j

Yeah i have since rang and spoke to a few people, all stating that it wasnt possible on last years model and this year they have made the area even more of a tight fit.

also seems to quite often ba an answer of ‘and why would you want to put a coil on over air’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butterbean
    Free Member

It does beg the question of why would you on a light 140mm frame….

nickhead
    Free Member

And the answer is… because it’s a light 140mm frame that begs to be absolutely nailed down a hill… with a longer wheelbase than anything else available, and 160mm forks on the XR – the type of riders/riding it attracts mean that some have suggested the air shock gets a bit out of its depth.

After watching the Chris Porter / Steve Jones chat on Dirt, I’ve meaning to ask Mojo if they do such a thing as an ‘XR Tune’ for the CTD air rear. Certainly sounds like Chris has done quite a lot of work to get the response from his that he was looking for.

Paul-j

Nickhead, nail on the head.

cancreek db coil is a amazing bit of kit.

did ring mojo after seeing that very video, randomley chris porter answered. very nice man. spoke about the geo on the new mondrakers etc which was good. But he was very much in the camp of air over coil.

nickhead
    Free Member

That’s interesting, given that he’s gone coil on the front. But he’s also gone slacker and put a 30mm stem on. Presumably, partly cos of the extra slackness…

I’ve also gone with 36s up front on mine, but stuck with Talas for weight and to make things a bit easier on the climbs, though I’ve found myself using it less as I’ve got more used to the bike.

I should also say that there aren’t many(if any) places I’ve ridden in the UK so far where I could honestly say that the shock feels out of it’s depth… maybe it will become more of an issue if/when I take it to the Alps

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘mondraker foxy xr and coil shock?’ is closed to new replies.