Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – July 14th – Ramsbottom
  • Harry_the_Spider

The tower trilogy concludes (unless we do Darwen next week, but then it would be a four part trilogy) with Holcombe Hill.

According to Wikipedia
    The memorial tower to Sir Robert Peel high above Ramsbottom was planned and erected at the same time as Bury was preparing its statue to the then recently deceased statesman who was born in Bury.
    The tower occupies a prominent position on Harcles Hill [1] (known locally as “Holcombe Hill” [2] due to its location next to Holcombe village) 1100 feet (335 m) above sea level. The monument is believed to have been designed by members of the memorial committee who included the local textile entrepreneur and philanthropist, William Grant. Grant was said to have been responsible for the site which was in a direct line from his own house, Nuttall Hall, and St Andrew’s church.
    A public subscription provided the £1,000 needed to build the tower. The stone for the tower was obtained from the hillside. The Peel Tower was opened in September 1852.
    Peel tower differs from Rivington Tower as it is a proper tower and not a stumpy little affair funded as a vanity project by a bat-shit crazy industrialist, and is nothing like the horrific obelisk of Stoodley Pike (Todmorden) that was built by Sauron’s orc army with the express intention of letting those living in its shadow know exactly who the boss was.

Hare & Hounds, Holcombe Brook BL0 9RY
    8:15
    Bring beer money

chipps

I am VERY disappointed to discover that’s not what Wikipedia actually says about Rivi tower and Stoodley Pike. Please edit the page now 🙂

I’ll do my best to get there.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’ll be there.

Want a lift Binners?

binners

Its my turn to drive, isn’t it?

Harry_the_Spider

Rivington.

Stoodley.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Nice selfie Binners

nbt

Hmmm. I’m normally at training on Monday evening but since I’ll be attending Marsdenman’s funeral this coming Monday, I’ll be having a commiseratory pint afterwards so won’t be fit to drive. If I can persuade Mrs NBT to drive we might join you for this.

Bregante

Sadly my wife has to attend a work thing on Monday night so I’m likely to miss this 😐

chipps

‘at training’ nbt?

Isn’t that just riding your bike? 😉

nbt

Monday nights is volleyball training, I play local league 🙂

binners

nbt

scaled
    Free Member

Hmm Mrs is up for the weekend and staying till Tuesday

Is it going to be similar (or indeed, the same) as the last Holcombe hill ride?

If she doesn’t have to do the high price of failure, tech fest from the wall it might be a goer 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t know the route but there are plenty of less lethal ways down the hill. I’m not sure that I’d want to do either it in daylight.

Harry_the_Spider

That made no sense. 😕

[correction]I’m not sure that I’d want to do either in daylight. [/correction]

Harry_the_Spider

FFS

[correction correction]I’m not sure that I’d want to do it either in daylight. [/correction correction]

binners

It’s not that bad. There are 3 ways down the front. 2 are varying degrees of buttock-clenching, hang-off-the-back-close-your-eyes-and-pray. The other is roll-able. They all end up in the same place, so it’s up to everyone who fancies what. I can’t see that provoking much willy waving, can you? 😉

binners

I hope you lot appreciate the sacrifices I make for you. I’ve just had to go out on the bike is this bloody awful weather to reccie a route for Monday. I think you’ll approve. I’ve kept it so there’s only the one rocks-like-babeez-yeds, the price of failure is death, tech-fest, where there’s a rollable alternative for those that don’t fancy showing off how awesomez their skillz are. The trails are bone dry and fast. Bliss!

All I’d say is that it’s bang on two hours. And that’s me on my own, so only a limited amount of faffage/falling off/fixing make up etc. so we need to set off bang on 8.15. It has been noted that the ‘ride’ bit, has been eating into the ‘pub’ bit. Brothers and sisters: they are the ying to the others yang. An almost spiritual balance who’s unity delivers us karmic equilibrium. And also some of us aren’t driving this week and fancy a few pints 😀

See you Monday comrades

Bregante

All I’d say is that it’s bang on two hours. And that’s me on my own,

So, 1hr 25 tops for the rest of you* 🙂

*As I won’t be there to keep binners company

binners

Sssssssh…. I’m banking on someone getting me a beer in when I turn up half an hour later 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Just had a look on Starva and it is indeed a pip and a dandy.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

So much for bone dry. It’s now hammering it down.

binners

It’ll be reet! If it’s wet, then I’ll bung Bucky Woods in for Harry. Wet roots? Great fun! 😀

bearnecessities

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSKfC1E3vc4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Just dampening the dust.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’ll be there

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’ll be coming 🙂

I’ve been up since 5am so might fall asleep on the ride. (and then have to be up at 5am tomorrow too)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

:mutter mutter:
    Can’t make it…..

binners

Good stuff Jon. Don’t be afraid if people sniff you as you arrive. Its just curiosity. We don’t often get out of town visitors 😀

jonjones262
    Free Member

how fast do you guys ride?

I’ve spent most of this year running and then only doing downhill days on the bike.

I’ll be in a white Skoda with green bike on the roof.

binners

I wouldn’t worry about pace. The diplomatic word is ‘social’ pace. Some people may refer to that as ‘slow’. Finely-honed, hyper-fit race whippets we are not. Well… Terrahawk is, but we try to be tolerant of that

Monday Night Pub Ride rules say no-one gets dropped. Not even me. If you’re used to riding downhill, then get your Strava on tonight for the rocky run down the front of the tower. Its ‘challenging’

Weather forecast looks… erm… ‘lively’ for later

jonjones262
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s going to be a good evening!

🙂

EDIT: just checked bbc weather…..ah! rain. Good job I’ve not really brought much in the way of anything waterproof.

To be honest I’m lucky I’ve got my bike! There’s bound to be something I’ve forgotten…

eightyeight
    Free Member

It’ll be too warm for waterproofs Shirley?

I think I’d just rather wear something light weight and accept my soaking, than try and delay the inevitable.

dazh

I’ll be there too.

Eighyteight do you need a lift? Drop me a mail (in profile) with your address and phone no if you do.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Dazh – thanks, that’s much appreciated. You’ve got mail.

binners

With the climbs involved tonight, if you go for waterproofs you’ll be sweating like Vanessa Feltz at a Slimming World Weigh-in.

nbt

Can’t make it. Injury 🙁

jonjones262
    Free Member

Sweaty Vanessa Feltz!!

Now there’s a sight……..

Harry_the_Spider

Urgh. Pass the mind bleach.

It looks like it will be warm and wet. Bring on the innuendo.

timc
    Free Member

Hmmm sat on couch thinking I could make this, can you handle two out of towners?

How steeps the climbs? Only got the 1×10 29er & tired legs 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – July 14th – Ramsbottom’ is closed to new replies.