• This topic has 45 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – February 1st – Magical Mystery Tour Edition
  • Harry_the_Spider

No idea what the plan is. There was talk of one on the PBW near Littleborough.

<insert name of pub and postcode>.
    8:15 blast off.
    Bring money for beer.

dazh

Yup. Bit adventurous, but we could try a new pub? The Summit, up the road from Littlebrough towards Tod. Never been in there so no idea what it’s like but it looks ok from the outside, it doesn’t have a flat roof, and the PBW goes in two directions from it so plenty route options.

Fancy that?

Harry_the_Spider

Why not?

dazh

Ok,

The Summit Inn,
    Summit,
    Todmorden Road,
    Littlebrough
    OL15 9QX

Bregante

Never been in there so no idea what it’s like but it looks ok from the outside

I can see it now…

Harry_the_Spider

“You made me miss.”

Sounds like a plan.

It’s only about 2.5 km further on than the Wine Press for those heading from The West Side or The Deep South.

binners

Looking at my deadlines for next week, theres pretty much no chance I’ll be out. You never know though. My ‘**** it!’ instinct may prevail. Last week was brill! 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Fear and Loathing on the Rochdale Canal?

chipps

I mis-read that as ‘OMG – Wifi!’ – which I reckon is very unlikely 😉

I reckon I’m in!

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm… rain and 40+ mph wind forecast.

If it is still the case tomorrow I’m afraid that I’ll be pulling the Susan Card.

dazh

Forecast update. It’s now supposed to be dry, but with 50mph winds! In my experience mental winds provide for much hilarity 😀

I had two route options from there, both of which involve going up a bloody great hill. The preferred option is to go up to the whitehouse via the PBW, the wind will blow us up nicely. It’s then an easy(in normal conditions!) couple of miles along the road next the reservoirs, before dropping down towards walsden and following the PBW down to the canal and back to the pub. Still do-able IMO, but the ride along the top next to the ressies will be a bit of a slog. It’ll be an adventure, and we are after all supposed to be super-hard northerners who laugh in the face of a bit of weather 🙂

Bregante

High winds and a canal towpath sounds most entertaining!

Dammit!!

Harry_the_Spider

Nah. I’m going to Karate instead. Got a grading coming up and I need the practise. Getting punched in the head by a 6ft 7in gorilla will be more fun.

chipps

We’re off to see They Might Be Giants at Manchester Academy. So, even though it’s the closest MNPR for ages, I’m going to have to bow out, sorry!

dazh

Anyone braving the storm then or do I get a night off?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m just gonna ride up rivi as i’m on call anyway and don’t want to drive an hour to ride in a storm!

scaled
    Free Member

I’m on call as well, and ill, and well, Susan.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

provisionally i’m still in. Once it starts lashing it down i might reconsider!

dazh

Still looks dry, and It’ll give us a chance to claw one back on HtS on the attendance league 🙂

binners

My print deadlines, as I suspected, say NO!

I can vouch for the traverse of Mordor being absolutely terrifying in high winds! And downright painful when it then starts horizontally hail-stoning. It was like being bead blasted!

dazh

Nothing as technical as mordor up high. It’s a big wide flat road rather than rutty singletrack so the only danger will be getting blown into the reservoir 😀

And it’s not going to rain. Don’t know how many times I have to say that!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Just checked the detailed forecast and he’s right you know! Its not going t rain!

It’ll blow its t!ts off mind!

horridge
    Free Member

I should be out, rain or not. Go on Daz, just one more time.

dazh

If I say it any more it’s bound to piss it down so I’m saying nowt. If it does rain*, the wind is going to be so strong it’ll only last about 10 seconds before it blows over. We may have the rather odd situation of freewheeling uphill and having to pedal down 🙂

*it won’t.

dienamic

I’m in! See you at the pub

nach
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Looks like we’ll only have to deal with gusts of 50mph, average wind is a piffling 30mph.

Harry_the_Spider

Sat here in my penthouse office in Rochdale it doesn’t look too bad. The weather forecast says that it is blowing a gale outside but nobody has told this to the pigeons that are messing about above the helipad of the sky scraper next door.

I’m still not out though but as I’ll be sparring with a bloke 5 grades higher than me and 50% heavier, so I feel I don’t deserve to be labelled a Susan. I’ll settle for something a bit more grrr… Corina perhaps. All the Corinas at my school were as hard as nails. There was also a Maggie that could beat the crap out of just about everyone.

Regards,

Corina the Spider.

dazh

Shaping up nicely. See you all there.

dazh

I don’t deserve to be labelled a Susan

Dancing round in pyjamas doing funny war cries would suggest otherwise 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

You are more than welcome to try it if you like. Sparring partners are picked on height rather than ability which means that I regularly get my arse kicked. Actually, there is a 1st dan eight year old girl there who is about 2ft shorter than me but could give me a good hiding too.

Kiai!

dazh

Not a chance. I have a mate who does it and he is regularly nursing bruised ribs and broken toes. The pyjama comment still stands though.

brennak

Not tonight bikes broke as am I after the Evans tundra ride, bearings gone in the rear sus linkage should be fixed by Wednesday if the postman bring the spares tomorrow. Good few years since I was in the Summit it used to be Mark Owens (from take that) local.

cdoc
    Free Member

Just got back from a day off jaunt over Blackstone edge/Mordor/Watergrove and bloody hell it’s a bit windy! Comparatively dry compared to the last few weeks though.
    Have fun everyone and try not to get blown into the drainage ditch like I definitely wasn’t 😛

mintimperial

In! Suspect it’s going to be interesting on the tops. Here’s a high-tech simulation of what it might look like.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Listening to the wind outside I have to say that tonight has the makings of being one of the most memorable MNPR ever. Possibly one of the most irresponsible too!

Even my missus has told me to be careful and generally she couldn’t give a monkeys!

mintimperial

*packs first aid kit, emergency bivvy, zeppelin anchor*

dazh

Not that bad. Don’t know what all the fuss is about.

nach
    Free Member

On my way.

Harry_the_Spider

Bloody typical. The weather is actually quite calm here.

Got to fight with some new people though 😀

nach
    Free Member

Those were some fun lean angles in 50mph crosswinds; I only got picked up and blown into a fence once.

https://vine.co/v/iJzabOZO1I0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – February 1st – Magical Mystery Tour Edition’ is closed to new replies.