Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – June 30th
  • wittonweavers
    Free Member

This weeks MNPR will be starting and ending at The Belmont Bull in the village of Belmont just outside Bolton.

The postcode is BL7 8AJ

Start time 8.15 as normal although we WILL be leaving at 8.15 PROMPT so please try and get there early if you can. I have a feeling that weather permitting there may be a decent turnout this week which adds to the time of the ride both in terms of likely mechanicals (yes Binners is back) and the whole palava of getting through gates etc. So we will need to get a move on!

Hoping to incorporate a trip to Lead Mines Clough, possible the ICR and finish off coming down the San Marino. Plenty of uphill too!

Not that much parking at the Belmont Bull but a sizeable car park just down the road at the Black Dog. I dont think it will be an issue on a Monday night but at least respectfully stick your car right at the back of the car park if you use it!

Hope to see you then – bring beer money and stick lights in your bag just in case!

Bregante

What do you think?

Course I’m in!

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’m in. 1st in 11 weeks.

dazh

Being a San Marino virgin and hearing all the hype about it, it leaves me little choice but to attend.

scaled
    Free Member

You’re in for a treat mate.

Barring a nuclear disaster I’ll be there, I’ve got a score to settle with ICR

wittonweavers
    Free Member

A few pictures from last week…

Harry_the_Spider

Who is that grinning moron in the disco slippers?

binners

I’m in…..

binners

Think I’ll dig the big bouncy bike out for this one, if we’re doing the ICR too. Which means (impossible to imagine though it may be) I’ll be even slower on the climbs, but I’ll have a far bigger grin when going in the opposite direction 😀

badllama
    Free Member

Being a Monday night virgin I quiet fancy this what’s the pace like? (I’m wondering if I’ll be able to keep up with all you super Gnarr folks) 😀
    And how long on average do the rides take?

Andy

wittonweavers
    Free Member

By and large we try and stick with ‘riding at the pace of the slowest rider’.

The pace isn’t fast – its about having a good time and some banter rather than anything else!

The rides start at 8.15 and we look to be in the pub by 10.15 latest.

Hope you can join us – you will be very welcome!

binners

By and large we try and stick with ‘riding at the pace of the slowest rider’.

Hi 😀

The first rule Monday Night Club is that you don’t talk about Monday Night Club. Apart from on here. The second rule of Monday Night Club clearly states that we have to be back to the pub in reasonable time to get a couple of beers in, so 2 hours max. Anyone leading a ride that fails this criteria has to invite everyone back to theirs to drink their beer. Even if this means them having to dig out the dusty bottle of Creme de Menthe, as thats all they’ve got in.

badllama
    Free Member

Cool cheers guys I’ll be there, baring any issues at work that day 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

The Third Rule of Monday Night Club is that nobody gets dropped*.

* Unless they are a ####.

Rule Four is something complicated about witchcraft and only applies to East Lancashire rides.

Rule Five is about killing Welshmen if you find one above the high tide mark, but it hasn’t been enforced since the 1390s, although we discussed it when Molgrips joined us.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

The Third Rule of Monday Night Club is that nobody gets dropped*.

* Unless they are a ####.

From recollection most of the ####’s tend to be at the front anyway!

tthew

Hi 😀

Not this week sorry, I’m of to Bulgaria, (with my bike, ace)

MrSparkle

???

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m hoping to join, work permitting.

Long shot, but is anyone planning on driving out from Manc city centre?

philbert31
    Free Member

Count me in!

badllama
    Free Member

eightyeight you get yourself to Trafford park area (War Museum) / Eccles. Or (ideally) Dane Road met station by 7pm and you have a lift 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

😀

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks Badllama, unfortunately that’s 5 miles away from me (according to google maps).

Hopefully will be able to use my car.

badllama
    Free Member

no worries mate see you there 🙂

wittonweavers
    Free Member

To clarify… not everyone who is at the front is a ####! I meant that the ones that are a #### are more often at the front than the back.

Oh what do they say, when in a hole stop digging… 😳

Anyway i have done a recce tonight. Managed to get the full ride down Lead Mines Clough, Ice Cream Run, Stairway to Heaven and then the slog up to the mast before San Marino done in 1 hour 55. Not much in the way of breaks though and no allowance for mechanicals or group inertia so will need to trim it a bit.

Harry_the_Spider

Oh do stop being a #### 😉

lowey

Craig, I presume your planning on climbing Hoar Stone Brown then flying down to Leadmines ? If you have a big group which will inevitably push you for time, why not consider missing leadmines and heading along Belmont Road (the bumpy one from the top of Sheep Houses) and down the ICR then. Would save you probably 30 mins….

Or you could climb San Marino (makes a good steady and pretty straightforward climb actually) descend The Shoulder (a cracking descent), pick up Belmont Road and then hit the ICR.

Babysitter still trying to be sorted out. Will ride up and meet you if I can get it sorted.

binners

Making people ride up the San Marino was used a form of medieval torture, wasn’t it?

Does that reply mean we’ve all got permission to ride on your land Lord Lowe? I’ve heard rumours there were Japanese snipers stationed at the top of the pigeon tower, who thought they were still fighting the second world war

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I should be able to make this one. I’ll try not to be a ####!

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that San Marino was a climb.

binners

Well you’re just a ####! 😉

wittonweavers
    Free Member

@lowey Dave i’m not sure about Hoar Stone Brown although thats mainly because i have never heard of it! Going to go up the road from the Black Dog to the car park at the top (Horden stoops) and then down into Lead Mines Clough.

I agree that climbing San Marino, although brutal, is a short sharp way of quickly ascending Winter Hill. I think that this time though, a long swoopy ride through Lead Mines, play around in Rivington (ICR or Stairway to Heaven)and then a climb up to and down San Marino is the plan.

Light is definately fading quickly so lights will definitely be needed this week. Binners bring some that work!

badllama
    Free Member

San Marino in the dark 😯

Should be interesting 🙂 I best pack my best safety gear

jaqsobo
    Free Member

I am going to try and join but will make sure that I am there before the prompt depart. If I am not there for then, then I am not coming…if that makes sense!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Welcome to my world…

Bregante

All spelt properly and everyfink.

Its just not the same…

scaled
    Free Member

Proper buzzing about that route. Gonna be a good one

edhornby

Right I’m in – anyone lift sharing from Prestwich/Whitefield ?

binners

WW – you do know the rule about those contributing graphics to the thread have to ride at the back, have regular mechanicals and lights that pack in at random times, without warning?

Hey… I don’t make the rules.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Yes I knew that. Everyone knows that!

You have probably noticed that I am becoming increasingly ‘at the back’at the moment. I suspect that people thought it was because I was fat and old but no, I knew I was going to contribute some artwork sooner or later!

Weather looks good…

binners

Loving your work BTW 😀

The weather does indeed look belting for later! Record turnout tonight, I’m guessing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – June 30th’ is closed to new replies.