Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Minolta lenses for Sony A37
  • mikey74
    Free Member

A friend of mine has just bought herself a new Sony A37 camera, which came with the standard lens. I understand this camera can use the old Minolta lenses, so I said I would buy her a couple for her birthday.

Any recommendations for which lenses to look out for? She is going to South Africa in the near future and would like something with a long focal length for wildlife etc, but doesn’t want to carry a whole bag full of lenses around.

First on the list has to be the quite wonderful little f1.7 50mm

DezB
    Free Member

On my thread here, I was recommended the 70 210 f4 ‘Beercan’ lens http://www.ffordes.com/product/12121013580881

Found one for £70 on Ebay and it is fab for the price.

TheArtist..STR fella also recommended a 70-300, which I would think would be great for a safari.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Dyxum has lens reviews for all alpha fit lenses, including (or especially) Minolta.

As mentioned above the 70-200f4 and 50mmf1.7 are good value (although a new Sony 50mm f1.8 can be had for little more).

At the longer end there’s the 75-300 f4.5-5.6 Big Beercan but things get expensive after that. The Tamron 200-500 is about the best value long lens you can get.

As mentioned above the 70-200f4 and 50mmf1.7 are good value (although a new Sony 50mm f1.8 can be had for little more).

It can although the Sony is plastic bodied

TheArtist..STR fella also recommended a 70-300, which I would think would be great for a safari.

That was a new Tamron – don’t think they are much over a ton

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

The beercan mentioned above is lovely although its fame has increased the second hand price a little.

n3olp
    Free Member

I have one of these just before xmas, the 1st lens I got was the F1.7 50mm Lens. Paid £57 inc postage and its in cracking condition. I also have a 70-300 Tamron lens but the zoom is a little stiff so thinking of changing to a 70-300 Minolta is I can find one. Still, it takes a great picture and you can pick these up for a really low price.

white101

I picked up a F1.7 50m minolta mount for my sony a390 last week on ebay for about £60, just played about with it in the house so far but its great.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The beercan mentioned above is lovely although its fame has increased the second hand price a little.

It had, but they’re now half the price of what they peaked at.

TooTall
    Free Member

Anything up to 300 will be great. I picked up a Sigma 70-210 for about £35. It about doubles the weight of a Sony camera as it is proper old school camera heavy. Make sure you get the A fit lenses – Minolta did a couple of different fits.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

What about the MINOLTA AF ZOOM 70-210MM F4.5-5.6? It seems a bit cheaper than the F4 model.

euanr
    Free Member

quite wonderful little f1.7 50mm

To add to the chorus, this is a cracking lens. I’ve had some really nice results using it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What about the MINOLTA AF ZOOM 70-210MM F4.5-5.6? It seems a bit cheaper than the F4 model.

I wouldn’t.

A good cheap lens in that range is the Sony 55-200 f4-5.6 or the Tamron 55-200 f4-5.6 (basically the same lens).

Or… the Minolta 100-200 f4.5. Excellent but the range is a bit cumbersome.

scotroutes

I’ve got one of these F1.4 lenses I bought a few years back when digital was flying in and there was no demand for old Minolta lenses.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=15

Looks like they’re worth a fair bit of dosh now?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, £140+

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Minolta lenses for Sony A37’ is closed to new replies.