• This topic has 56 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Cameras cameras cameras…decisions decisions.. HELP!
  • johnellison
    Free Member

Don’t Pentaxes have a weird/non-standard hot-shoe? Or is than Minoltas?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Don’t Pentaxes have a weird/non-standard hot-shoe? Or is than Minoltas?

Minolta (and Sony as they bought Minolta’s camera division). Although the new generation Sonys (a99 and Nex6 plus what’s coming) have gone to the ‘standard’ hotshoe.

Not that the standard hotshoe is standard in any practical sense as each manufacturer has it’s own implementation of the standard. So it’s pretty irrelevant.

DezB
    Free Member

So, I’m back to the Sony. Isn’t that where I started? 😉

[edit] just been in LCE and seen one. Like it 🙂

Love the beautiful little minolta 50mm f1.7 that can be found for not much money

Boots – 28 of 365 by davetheblade, on Flickr

Crabbie’s – 26 of 365 by davetheblade, on Flickr

DSC03901 by davetheblade, on Flickr

DSC04031 by davetheblade, on Flickr

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you do settle on Sony or want to do some digging dyxum.com is the place. It’s got reviews for all the lenses, old and new and a very friendly forum.

soma_rich
    Free Member

When i was looking last year I went for a Pentax kx with a twin lens deal for £350. I don’t know if they are still available, after a quick google it doesn’t seem they are.

My boss just bought the Sony you are looking at and is made up with it, and having had a play with it, I prefer it to my Pentax 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

If you do settle on Sony or want to do some digging dyxum.com is the place

Ooh, cameratrackworld 🙂

ampthill

If you go the Sony the beer can lens might be the solution for more reach

70 200 f4 and not that expensive

http://www.ffordes.com/product/12121013580881

cheaper on ebay i think

it won’t be opically perfect but it will do

5thElefant
    Free Member

The beercan is great value.

Interesting comparison with the Canon 70-200 F4 L IS here…

DezB
    Free Member

Done!

Ordering that ^^ lens too 🙂

The Tamron 70-300mm f4 is worth a look at just over £100 – I got it as a bundle deal with my camera. It’s not the sharpest, but can get acceptable results – also has a macro function, but not true 1:1 macro.

All these taken at 300mm, except the moon, which for some reason I shot at 250mm (so I have sharper ones than that at 300mm)

The Robin/Finch? is a heavy crop from the house to the bottom of the garden – 1/50 ƒ/7.1 ISO 200 300 mm

The bridge is a heavy crop again from 4.5 miles away – 1/2000 ƒ/5.6 ISO 400 300 mm

And the moon is obviously the heaviest crop – basically started as a little white blob in the middle of the screen – 1/125 ƒ/11 ISO 200 250 mm

Robin by davetheblade, on Flickr

Severn Bridge zoom by davetheblade, on Flickr

Moon by davetheblade, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips and advice.
    First weekend (hey, maybe if I’d bought the weatherproof one, I could’ve used it last weekend!) trying out a57 and beercan lens at the kid’s football. Some good results, more practice needed obviously. Speed of the camera is astounding. 🙂

AlexSimon

nice one!

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice pics, but no exif data?

DezB
    Free Member

Nice pics, but no exif data?

A-ha! Cropped in PSP before uploading… is that cheating? 🙂
    (Thanks, btw)

molgrips
    Free Member

No, PSP should preserve exif data I’d have thought?

I suppose I am just moaning, if you have uploaded straight to Google drive or whatever that is I could download it and view the data. However if you used flickr, say, you can click the ‘share’ option then copy and paste the bb code into your post and we’d get a clickable image that’d take us to the flickr page which lets you view all the exif, like so:

orange_bobbles_small by molgrips, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

PSP never has saved the exif, but it’s an old version (7), so maybe that’s why.
    Hmm, Picasa has changed, so you would have to create the link yourself, bit of a pain.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Cameras cameras cameras…decisions decisions.. HELP!’ is closed to new replies.