Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mini V's
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I am looking to replace my frogs legs on my Trek AX01 cyclocross to achieve some kind of ability to realistically stop, rather than slow down.

I have been looking at mini v’s and these looks good.Any thoughts?

https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-cx9-linear-pull-cyclocross-brakes-black-pair-54955.html

Cheers

cp

Mini v’s are brilliant, but u wouldn’t go with those.

Planet x have front and rear tektro mini v’s for 20 quid front and rear together. I have them and they’re brilliant.

cp

Typo above, should be **I** wouldn’t go with those from Merlin…

These are the ones from px
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BCTK926MV/tektro-926al-front-and-rear-mini-v-brakes

RoterStern
    Free Member

Won’t you need an adapter for running vs with road brake levers? The pull ratio is different AFAIK.

johnners
    Free Member

Won’t you need an adapter for running vs with road brake levers? The pull ratio is different AFAIK

Not if they’re mini.

cp

Won’t you need an adapter for running vs with road brake levers? The pull ratio is different AFAIK.

Mini v’s are road pull compatible. They are not MTB pull compatible.

holmes81
    Free Member

Another vote here for the Tektro Minis.

Changed from frogs to those, mini v are far better.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Why not the trp’s?

Northwind

I had el cheapo tektros on mine- IIRC they were £7 an end inc pads. And with stock pads and no real effort setting up they outperformed any cantis I’ve ever used 😆 For my purposes, they were pisstakingly good. Though possibly it’s like road, and if you like having good brakes it’s because you’re incompetent or something.

Picking the right parts seems to be a wee bit of a minefield, IIRC there was one set recommended for 10 speed brifters and another for 11 speed?

And there were downsides, I couldn’t get the wheel out without undoing the tension with the barrel adjuster first, and the mud clearance could be an issue in some conditions. (though, this never actually came to anything for me, but grassy mud especially found more places to hang up than on my cantis)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Will mini v s work with a large tyre?

Big apple 2.something type size?

dovebiker

TRP = Tektro Racing Products and are better made than the regular Tektro. CX9 is probably the most powerful cable rim brake available but does lack modulation. Ability to wider tyres really depends on fork and width between mounting studs – a regular CX fork struggles with most tyres over 40mm

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh crap…about to cable a bike up with these and forgot I need barrel adjusters! I think I have some inline ones somewhere…

joshvegas
    Free Member

It wasn’t so much the width more the proximity of the cable to the top of the tyre.

Northwind

Hmm, I had 32s and humungous 42mm mudguards on mine but I remember I had to cut the guard slightly for the straddle wire. I think a 2.0 might have worked but it’d be pretty marginal, certainly not with guards. But then, different frames/forks might give different results and some mini vs are longer armed than others.

molgrips
    Free Member

Built mine up. Found out why SKS thermoplastic mudguards are so-called: it’s because you can warm them up with an air gun and shape them really easily. I warmed up the bit under the straddle cable and dented it with my finger to get the required clearance.

Powerful but still pretty spongy. May be related to the inline barrel adjusters or perhaps old rims.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got mini vs on my corsslight with 105 5600 levers . work fine and are much more powerful than the cantis, but they do run very close to the rims and I need an inline cable adjuster so that I can slacken them off to get the wheel out without letting the tyre down

Sundayjumper

Good timing, I’m planning on changing the cantis on my tandem and have been looking at the various mini-v brakes available. Sounds like the the Tektro 926 are the go-to option.

And if you buy them from Planet X via ebay you get free postage – CLICK.

sweepy
    Free Member

This is timeley indeed, I’m just wanting to put these on myself.
    So i’m going to need inline barrel adjusters and I presume noodles as well?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, seems like mini v’s are the way. Anyone want some nice frogs legs?

v8ninety

Bad, BAD timing! 🙁 I’d literally JUST ordered some of them there CX9 things for this exact situation. Please tell me that (whilst I know I’ve been stung paying more than needed to) at least they’ll do the job I need them to with Shimano 105 levers? Grrrr….

epicyclo

I had Tektro mini-Vs on my Pompino.

I found I was easily able to outbrake most roadbikes on the descent from the Bealach na Bà so I reckon they’re pretty good.

My son has the bike now and he’s wanting to fit Froglegs because he thinks cantis look cooler….

matts
    Free Member

CX9s are great. Bit stiffer. Slightly longer arms (more guard clearance, but requires more precise setup)

926AL are cheap as chips.

Sundayjumper

Update – ordered a set of 926AL from Planet X via ebay at 8pm Sunday. They arrived 10:30 today. I’ve not fitted them yet, but quality looks alright, they seem like a total bargain @ £20 !

sweepy
    Free Member

Mine arrived too, complete with noodles. Soon as I get the adjusters i’m good to go.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mini V's’ is closed to new replies.