Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Head light for night riding
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations for a helmet mounted light for night riding. Ideally I’d just like to use a single unit so keen to be as high up on the power scale as possible without getting silly in the cost side of things. One that has caught my eye is the Hope R4+. 2000 lumens, helmet mount and stick the battery in a pack. I don’t want to go down the cheap Chinese light route for a number of reasons so mainstream brands only please.

jam-bo

gloworm CX

Gotama
    Free Member

That looks interesting and a lot cheaper than the Exposure Diablo which has equivalent output.

jam-bo

I should add, I don’t have one, I have a gloworm X1 with a 2 cell pack attached to the back of my helmet but I’m seriously considering selling it and getting a CX.

Gotama
    Free Member

That’s interesting as I got distracted looking at the Ison website, drawn to the X1 and XS through the lure of more power. What’s wrong with the X1 and is the cable long enough to put the battery in your pack or pocket?

jam-bo

nothing wrong with it, its a great light. more than enough to ride at pace at night.

it would just be nice to have an all in one unit that can click on/off a mount quickly. I have to attach the lamp unit with a o-ring through a vent, the switch sits on a velcro patch and the battery velcro strap feeds through one of the rear vents on my helmet. It comes with an extension cord if you wanted to run the battery in a pocket but I hate that attached thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Is there any light that isn’t Chinese-made?

Gotama
    Free Member

I see, thanks. They do look great for the money.

ade9933
    Free Member
    swanny853

The other half and I both had gloworm X2s- her main light, me for commuting. We both had problems with batteries and got through several replacements before eventually giving up. She now has a toro, I’m using my Maxx D for everything. So I’d suggest exposure. For what you want, an equinox and a booster cell?

I’d seriously recommend a bar/headlight combination though, you don’t flatten out roots like you do with just a head torch- figure out what you can get for your budget. I’d suggest a joystick and then the biggest bar light you want to afford (sticking with exposure- I’d also have 4th, a friend has them and they seem very well made and reliable).

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve got a 6pack but it’s just too heavy on the bars. I’d agree re quality and reliability though. Will have a look at the Equinox.

jonnym92

I really like my Lezyne Macro Duo. Not as powerful as some but does the job for me.
    Light, compact and lasts about 2hrs on a decent setting. Got it free with a mag subscription too.

Oh just read, I use it with a bar light too, won’t be sufficient for a helmet light only. Ignore me.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the X1 and is the cable long enough to put the battery in your pack or pocket?

I have an X1 and X2, been using them for 14 months now, most weeks. Have been great. The extension with the X1 fits in a pack, or high pocket. Conversely to above, I hate extra weight on a lid so love the battery in a pocket.

That light combo is enough for me to hit near daytime speeds, or even PB’s, at night

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Head light for night riding’ is closed to new replies.