Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Might be in trouble with the wife?
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

OK. I've been doing up and old F reg cb350 for about a year. Finaly got it MOT'd last monday, it flew through. Taxed and all. Road it to work a few times 20 miles each way, happy as larry.

Decided to get some chain lube from a big bike shop on my way to work. On wenesday left early for work to give me time to have a nose about spotted a nice T reg bandit in very good condition.
    Before I new it I'm test riding it, very nice it was tried to br strong but nope. Bought the bike.

Went in for chain lube came out with a bike…..

Pick it up monday havnt broached the subject yet with the wife, sould be interesting at the dinner table tomorrow.

how would you deal with it?

Harry_the_Spider

Tell her you found it.

tron
    Free Member

"I think I might get rid of the CB for something more modern".

Keep the Bindit in your mate's garage for the meantime…

MrNutt
    Free Member

leave the country, change your name, consider plastic surgery, your goose is cooked mate!

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Will she notice the difference? 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

that's going to cost you a kitchen 😉

U31
    Free Member

Dont tell her and pretend its the CB tarted up a bit. Well, a lot then…

br
    Free Member

Sorry, but you've been doing up an old CB350… whether its the twin or four I'd still have to ask, why?

A bit like the guy I worked with renovated a CD185, spent hundreds – that was lost on me too.

rp16v
    Free Member

how often has she seen the bike? iv gone thru 2 new frames and a full build without her even noticing
    as said keep it at mates for now untill shift the cb.

seizednuts
    Free Member

I bought a yeti asr frame in 2005 and that cost me double glazing, a bathroom and a kitchen. I,ve only got a few months left to run on that lone so I' m bricking it a little.

seizednuts
    Free Member

The Cb twin its abit of an odd ball. But it wasnt that hard most of it was stripping and cleaning. The time came from sourcing parts.

grumm
    Free Member

You just have to do the sensible, grown up thing and tell her that the man in the shop threatened you with a gun and said he would kill you if you didn't buy it.

epicyclo

Tell her you're getting the tank resprayed 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Your therapy group suggested it would be a good way to get more in touch with your feminine side.

ski
    Free Member

Tell her it was marked up as 75% off & you will be fine, I promise 😉

nicolaisam
    Free Member

" there may be trouble ahead"

warton
    Free Member

its the same as bike purchases, there are a few simple rules:

1. use cash so it never shows on any statements.
    2. it cost half what it really did.
    3. if she still complains use the term "cost neutral" a lot, every couple of sentences.
    4. if she's still upset produce a spreadsheet to prove the cost neutral aspect of the purchase.
    5. buy handbag.

easy

al2000

FFS – 'oooh, I'm scared of the wife'. Just MTFU, and tell her.

Then emigrate.

vinnyeh

ask the shop to send you the 'you've won third prize in our lottery/customer draw etc etc' email or letter. Every respectable shop should have one on file ready to use for those difficult purchases.

jon1973
    Free Member

Don't mention it. If she ever notices and bring it up, pretend to faint.

bruneep

rp16v – Member

how often has she seen the bike? iv gone thru 2 new frames and a full build without her even noticing
    as said keep it at mates for now untill shift the cb.

Oh she'll know………do you think women are stupid 😉

hora
    Free Member

Aye- act normal.

If she does spot the difference buy her a massive present (she'd deserve it!)

jca

The LBS I used before relocating would offer two receipts with large purchases – the 'real' one, and the one to present in response to the 'how much did that cost?' question…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Is it the same colour? If so, no worries there, she won't notice. Should she be weird and actually notice the different bike tell her it was meant to be for her so you could ride together.

Bregante

what about

"oh this old thing, I've had it for ages. I swear I told you but you just never listen! You never take any interest in me or my bikes"

it seems to work for Mrs B when I notice her new shoes/bag/clothes etc etc

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

LOL Classic mate.Proud of your buying style..

Years ago i lived in Oxford & had a RD350LC Hooligan machine tuned to FHECK!

Loved it never let me down for the 23miles each way work route.

Went to a friends house to borrow a 19mm ring spanner came back on a Honda Fireblade Urban Tiger & – £2k LOL

Wish i still had it it was MEAN……but i taimed it well….
    Mate impulse buyings the best as youd have only gone home & then thought…………..I know i shoul have bought it a 1,000,00 times if not more…

Be honest with her she''ll understand,if not throw her on the back & take her to a nice pub meal somewhere nice…..

Im such a romantic 🙄

Pics needed soon too…(of the bike ) not the meal lol

konabunny
    Free Member

"oh, i just bought a fairing for it".

(You may have to buy a fairing for this to work).

toys19
    Free Member

I'm going with the "will she notice" theory, my wife didnt realise I had 5 mtbs (amongst others) until I foolishly lined them all up in the same shed together, a certain amount of hell was released and I had to grovel for a long time..

stratobiker
    Free Member

You're looking after it for a mate who bought it but hasn't told his wife?

grunty
    Free Member

I bought a Spesh Tri-Cross last year, rode it to work most mornings saying good bye to the missus in the morning whilst standing astride the bike and her waving me off.

Took her 4 weeks to realise I was riding a different bike to work. (The previous bike was a silver Trek MTB and the spesh was all black)

BobaFatt
    Free Member

If you squint really really hard then you might get away with it……is your wife a bit boss eyed by any chance?

warton
    Free Member

my wife still says "oh, you're going out on your Mountain bike" when I'm setting off on my gray specialized road bike. My mountain bike is a pink on-one…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, I just don't understand this sort of thing. Mrs PP and I have a joint account. All our money goes in. We buy stuff with it.

She knows I've been wanting a £340 lens for my camera for a while. I've put off buying it sooooo many times for different reasons, and tried to find a cheap one on eBay, but even used they sell for over £300. So after loosing 2 more on eBay last night she says 'It's not worth it, just buy a new one' So I did.

I just can't see why people try to be deceptive about this sort of stuff. When we had seperate accounts, I'd tell her I was getting a new bike, now we only have a joint account, I ask instead. But the result is the same. 🙂

Unless, of course, you're spending money you don't have…….

staralfur
    Free Member

Just deny all, tell her she must be going crazy.
    I always buy new things in the same colour as they were before, gives you a better chance of pulling it off!

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I'm with PP on this one,

Sometimes this forum genuinely depresses me as a young man with a mortgage up to his eyeballs and no disposable income whatsoever and water running down his kitchen wall each time he takes a shower.

If you're spending money that you don't have, that you need to keep the roof over your head or generally hold the house or family together then I'm sorry but you're being a t055er.

On the other hand if you can afford it and all it takes is a little grovelling and letting the wife spend the equivalent then A) you're my role model and B) what's the problem, if you've got, spend it.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Sometimes this forum genuinely depresses me as a young man with a mortgage up to his eyeballs and no disposable income whatsoever and water running down his kitchen wall each time he takes a shower.

If you're spending money that you don't have, that you need to keep the roof over your head or generally hold the house or family together then I'm sorry but you're being a t055er.

couldn't agree more

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Might be in trouble with the wife?’ is closed to new replies.