Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Middleburn RS8 X-Type
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone using them?

Also, what BB’s do they need?

I’m interested in their single ring only – Uno set-up (single 30T or 32T ring)

Pics too would be great 🙂

spectabilis
    Free Member

My Stooge is being propelled via a set of these on a Hope BB. What do you need to know? I’ll take a couple pics for you if you like..

Seamus
    Free Member

Yes I’ve got a set, running a single ring on a standard spider, no issues in the 3+ years I’ve had them, they feel stiff enough and the silver finish stays looking good.

They use a standard hollowtech 2 BB

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, yeah i’ve got now that x-type is just RF’s trademark name for the same design as hollowtech… and uses std external BB cups – which is what the ‘burns are, right?

spectabilis – I’m thinking of using some on my Stooge (as they suit the bike’s look well). I have some square taper MB’s, which I did fit on the Stooge, but the BB spindle itself is very heavy and effects the CofG of the bike believe it or not, although the cranks are very light

Would want to use a single ring with no spider. I’m a big fan of MB’s and have used them for years

So, yes please, post a pic

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

yep using them, they look very pretty indeed, and stiff enough for heavy riding they’re great and I bought them second hand, although if I’m honest I think the saints or Zees are stronger and once my burners have worn out I’ll probably go with them.

I’m running a standard Hope BB.

couple of niggles though:
    – you do need a chain guide though even with a clutch mech.
    – like any self extracting cranks they extract themselves after riding, but a bit of Loctite on the crank bolt solves that
    – I stripped the crank bolt and emailed middleburn for a replacement, but no reply, so bought a cheapo crank bolt from chainreaction and no problems yet

spectabilis
    Free Member

Here you go… Not the best pics mind… Sorry.

spectabilis
    Free Member

A couple full bike shots.

The ring is a 32 Hardcoat and the Uno spiderless version as you can see.
    I too think it suits the frame perfectly. The fit n finish on them is second to none and the lockring preload adjuster makes setup a breeze.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oh, nice – that’s the narrow/wide Uno??

What tooth?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Editing the post while you typed…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice

Use your chiminea much?

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got a set lovely cranks they just dont clear the chainstays on my canondale f29

spectabilis
    Free Member

The chiminea.. Yeah it’s damn near melted away!

showerman
    Free Member

run a triple on my 29er and a single 30 on the fatbike work good for me

spectabilis
    Free Member

Check your email Boney.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ooh Showerman, do post a fatty pic 🙂

jim575

I’m running mine (triple) on a Hope BB and they have been perfect. Only problem was the three sets I sent back before I got a set I was happy with.

benji
    Free Member

Got a uno setup with a 30t ring, it’s been absolutely fault less the whole time, run with a Pace RC80BB. Not used it with gears only singlespeeded with it. It’s still looking lovely and shiny.

dizcostix
    Free Member

I’ve had the xtype RS8s for a couple of years too with no issues. now running it with a spiderless ring up front – a wolftooth components narrow-wide 30t. Looks a lot better than the UNO ring and costs a bit less too.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sweet. Me likey

Why has the Uno ring got what looks like a big offset on it, anf the Wolftooth and others, what looks like none??

Edit: Ah scrub that the W Tooth has an offset. Nice looking too

benji
    Free Member

Thank you dizcostix, didn’t know Wolf tooth components did a middleburn compatible ring, you’ve just solved a problem for me.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Next question then is who is selling Wolftooth Components in the UK?

dizcostix
    Free Member

happy to help Benji.

I bought mine direct from wolftooth in the US – free postage and didn’t get stung for tax, worked out at near on £50.

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/direct-mount-for-middleburn-cranks

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Run a black set on my winter singlespeed

Should have heli taped them as they don’t look so pretty now!

Just run an XT bottom bracket on mine which has been fine

MM

cardo

Very inspiring thread… after some umming and ahhing I have just pushed the button on a set of these with the uno spider. 8) can’t wait to see them on my bike now… Went for a Silver set as I did wonder about the rubbing of shoes on the black arms as mentioned above…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Spam: I have two sets of silver FS – Square taper though, although I do have a Phil Wood BB FS too – very retro 🙂

bedmaker

I’ve got the extra wide fatbike ones with a 26T granny ring to get the correct chainline.

[/url]
    [/img]

bonesetter
    Free Member

That looks sweet

What stem and bars are on there?

bedmaker

Easton EA70 stem and OO OG carbon bars

theashnav
    Free Member

Got a set on my Fatback – Matt at Middleburn changed the axel to 100mm for me – top bloke !

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice, what chairing?

Had dealings with Matt myself, very helpful as you say

Edit – just spotted it’s a double

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Middleburn RS8 X-Type’ is closed to new replies.