• This topic has 31 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by aggs.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Mid sized backpacking packs
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve got a 30 litre day pack, and a 60-70 litre big pack. I’ve a trip coming up for which my t day pack is a bit too small, and I really don’t want to take my bigger one. I’m looking at something in the 40 – 45 litre sort of range I think. The Montane Trailblazer 44 looks interesting, but I wonder if the back system is aimed at running rather than backpacking – has anyone got one?

My current ones are both Lowe Alpine, and I like them, so something like a Sirac is the obvious choice. They do seem a bit weighty though,

Upcoming trip is a few days on one y the Caminos, but probably more common use would be one or two night wild camps in the UK. Any suggestions?

kormoran
    Free Member

I have started using a couple of ortlieb dry bags on the outside of my 30l pack to boost it enough for overnight trips. It works well, saved me a fair bit and stopped me buying another bag I didn’t really need

fazzini

I’ve got an older Gregory 40ltr that is really comfortable and fits me great. It was a free gift with one of the mag subscriptions. I’ve also a Lightwave Fastpack 50 which is also good.

matt_outandabout

Bum bag and the smaller pack?

Chest bag?

matt_outandabout

We have a Lowe Alpine Sirac 40 (maybe 2015?) which replaced my much loved, simple, comfy and light Lowe Alpine Rock 40. Both used for short overnight trips and group leading. Excellent.

We’ve also a Vaude Brent(?) 55l which is much smaller than the capacity suggests. It’s currently halfway through a gap year, and youngest_oab says it’s super comfy. He took that an a Lowe Alpine Aeon as a day pack and wears both front and back when travelling/ flying / moving house.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Hmm, the small pack + extra storage suggestions are interesting. I have to say though I’m generally not a fan of having stuff strapped on the outside of the pack, apart from the occasional baguette or wet waterproof.

We’ve also got about 10 days of interailling before we get to the camino part and I think I’d prefer something big enough to get everything on the inside.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Gregory 40ltr that is really comfortable and fits me great

Gregory are also on my radar, like the Sirac though they’re perhaps a bit weighty. I guess that’s the tradeoff for a decent back system though.

schmiken

I have a Trailblazer 44 which I love for 3-4 day wild camping trips (even in winter). I will admit to being a bit biased as I also have the Trailblazer 25 and 30!

The pockets on the straps and waist belt is a massive plus for me, and it does feel more like a massive running vest rather than a “traditional” backpack – depends if you like that?

It also doesn’t like being overloaded – I keep my bag to under 11kg with food and water, any more than that and it doesn’t really feel that comfortable.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thanks @schmiken, sounds like the Trailblazer probably isn’t quite what I’m after.

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve just got an Osprey Farpoint 40 which so far I’m a big fan of, especially because I can zip away the harness etc for getting on and off trains, planes etc. The harness system seems decent too. I think it would be suitable for the Camino, not so sure about wild camping?

The other suggestion would be could you get your packing below 30l and use your current pack?

DougD

Ortovox alpine traverse 40. Really like it, decent storage, can compress down pretty well if not full, and in addition to the normal opening at the top there’s a zip that opens the front so you don’t have to pull everything out to get to stuff at the bottom.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The other suggestion would be could you get your packing below 30l and use your current pack?

We’ve had a practice pack and it’s too tight. If it was just the camino part we could maybe make that work, but for two weeks away we’d like some normal clothes to wear, book to read on the train etc etc.

thelawman

I bought an Osprey Talon 33 a few years ago when they were touted as ideal for backpacking, and have no complaints with it for 1-2 nights, short trips. There’s a 44L version which might be worth a shufti? The full RRP price is a bit ‘premium’, granted.

wbo
    Free Member

Go to a shop, as one mans 40L doesn’t look anything like anothers.  How ‘heavy duty do you want, prepared to carry, do they fit etc etc etc.  Figure out as well what you’re going to be carrying, then don’t run too tight else packing every morning gets to be a real chore

I have a collection of rucksacks I don’t especially like for multiday hiking. :-), including one that got a lot of rave reviews I absolutely hate. Lesson learnt there is the only way is to get your hands on it

MrSalmon
    Free Member

@wbo great advice, sometimes difficult in practice. We were out at the closest shop to us yesterday and they had precisely one pack in the 40 – 50 range.

kormoran
    Free Member

If you do go down the new pack route check the weights carefully, there are some crazy heavy bags on the market

If you are feeling flush then atompacks.co.uk are really interesting, UK made in Keswick iirc. Very light and well designed, and customable

BadlyWiredDog

I have the Lowe Alpine pack from when it was launched and called something else. It carries really, really well, is nicely featured and has a solid, durable feel. It’s not the lightest out there, but i’d rather have a comfortable, effective back system than save 500g and settle for one that’s overwhelmed by backpacking loads.I It’s my pack of choice whenever I have to carry anything more than a daypack load.

I also have one of the smaller Trailblazers. It’s okay, but quite minimalist, which is fine if all your backpacking kit is similarly minimalist, but not so clever if you have stuff that’s more middle ground light, if that makes sense.

Gregory does decent packs. Osprey ditto. There will also be a perfectly useable Berghaus pack in the ballpark too, but I’d opt for the Lowe Alpine and don’t fret over the weight. In the context of overall load it’s a relatively small factor and the pay-off is really good carrying comfort and support.

wbo
    Free Member

The Atompacks are a good example of what to have a look at before you buy… Very light, but at a price – good luck wearing a frameless 40 or 50L rucksack for 3 or 4 weeks in hot weather and staying comfortable.  Basically I’m agreeing with the BadlyWiredDog.

So that also stops anything designed for climbing, alpinism.  They’re just that not that comfortable, especially when it gets v. warm

I’ll probably end up with an Oxprey as I can try one on and get a decent deal locally

tjagain

Lightwave rucksacs are significantly lighter than most, are fully waterproof and really nice to carry.  I saved over a kilo with mine.   Its lasting well as well

https://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/rucksacks/lightwave-rucksacks

kormoran
    Free Member

Are you big packs a genuine 60/70 litre volume?

My current big bag is a pod black ice, supposed to be about 55 but when I measured it accurately with dog biscuits poured in 😂 it was significantly less. It’s totally strippable so I removed the floating lid and got it down to about 45 with an extension collar if I need a bit of extra space. I lost about 600g by ditching the lid, excess straps etc and it’s made it a nice clean bag with no fussy straps and lightish. On a long trip it’s about the sweet spot for volume for me, packs tight enough but has the collar for overloading

The atom packs all have internal frames and of course the back length comes in different sizes. Lots of packs in the mid volume sizes don’t as far as I can see, which is a shame as it can exclude some of the alpinist bags that are often nice simple designs and relatively light. If you have a shorter back you may be ok.

Edukator
    Free Member

Upcoming trip is a few days on one y the Caminos

Osprey, a favourite with Camino regulars. Well designed, comfortable, robust enough with 10kg in and lighter than most. Madame Edukator has one which has done a few Caminos. I can’t do a recommend what you’ve got because my 45 + 10 is non longer made.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

My big pack actually is 65-75!

I’ve ordered a Gregory Stout 45. Size is more or less in the middle of what I’ve got now, and for non-camino use it could have enough in it that I think I’d prefer a backpacking type back system rather than a super light one – my gear is decent /light enough but not ultralight,and I’m not usually in too much of a hurry.

I didn’t know Lightwave did packs, I do have a Lightwave tent though and I like it.

aggs
    Free Member

Used my Relevate handlebar dry bag to boost my pack on a recent camping hike.

Right on the top of my pack ,with lighter stuff inside it.  Worked really well.

But my pack is a light weight dry bag style one (40l) Exped . So is water proof when shut . Then the over the top” fixing pocket and strap” which is part of the rucksack    had the additional bag underneath it. And I used two  extra straps.to keep it nicely solid in place.

Had a similar set up on my wife’s but was a bit more awkward to secure well as her rucksack was a bit different.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

@BadlyWiredDog

I also have one of the smaller Trailblazers. It’s okay, but quite minimalist, which is fine if all your backpacking kit is similarly minimalist, but not so clever if you have stuff that’s more middle ground light, if that makes sense.

Yeah, this sums it up I think. I’m definitely in the middle ground.

MadBillMcMad

Apologies if it’s mentioned above.

Get a good collection of compression packs in different colours. It makes it so much easier to find stuff and keeps things cleaner.

Much easier when you get to the overnight space instead of littering the whole area with underwear and socks.

adcock9jn

I would use the bigger pack and not strap things on , or the other option is approach from a different way, and buy easier to pack /smaller kit, our tent is 3kg and fairly bulky!  But is worth it in inclement weather!   We have carried 4 days food, camping kit and decent clothing for Scotland in a 30 L ( Mrs) and 40L  ( Me) packs  with some extra things strapped on each pack, that weighed enough!

But extra space is always handy and makes like easier.

rockbus

Dont want to hijack the thread but I’m trying to find a c 22-25l rucksack. Really like the look of the Montaine trailblazer but really want one that stores a water bladder with h2o port.

I thought I had fairly basic criteria : 22-25l; bladder pack compatible, airflow straps so not against back and waist belt with pockets – but struggling to find one with all of those features?

BadlyWiredDog

I thought I had fairly basic criteria : 22-25l; bladder pack compatible, airflow straps so not against back and waist belt with pockets – but struggling to find one with all of those features?

Do you mean you want a pack with a suspended, trampolene-type back-system? Or one with ridged / thermo-formed foam that sits closer but still gives some air flow?

I’m sure there are lots of options no? Eg: Deuter AC Lite 24:

https://www.deuter.com/uk-en/shop/backpacks/p1403032-hiking-backpack-ac-lite-24

rockbus

Do you mean you want a pack with a suspended, trampolene-type back-system? Or one with ridged / thermo-formed foam that sits closer but still gives some air flow?

I was thinking suspended like my 14k Osprey raptor is

BadlyWiredDog

I was thinking suspended like my 14k Osprey raptor is

Isn’t that simply ridged foam with a mesh over the top rather than actually being suspended? Isn’t there an Osprey Talon around that capacity?

Edit: Talon 22 or 26 with basically similar back system seem about right?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Lowe Alpine AirZone? Me and MrsSalmon have those and we both really like them, and they do a pretty good range of sizes

aggs
    Free Member

The X3 Alpine is on my want list.

50 to 65 litres weighs 1.2kg .

But very expensive.,esp for such a simple design.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.