Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Mid life crisis cars, Tuesday musings…
  • Kryton57

Playing a game with myself on the motorway this morning which I though I’d extend to STW.  So what mid life crisis car/Dads Taxi with the suggested brief:

a) Its Sporty, grrrr

b) Its thought to be attractive to the object of your sexual preference at the School/Sports kids drop off

c) Is practical for Dads hobby, lets say biking in this instance, and reliable.

d) Surfs the motorways in comfort in work time

e) Doesn’t cost more than £10k.

?

weeksy

Subara estate jobbie thing.

hols2
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

mini moke should suit.

benp1

That’s tough. Sporty, practical and £10k

Haven’t checked prices recently, E46 or E90 M3 maybe?

I would have said Audi RS4 but the £10k bit kills it

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Oh my gosh – how many times!!! Rover 75 Estate diesel. Meets all the criteria…..especially B.

submarined
    Free Member

Most requirements are mutually exclusive. B isn’t even A Thing 😀

Practical means big to me. Doesn’t work with sporty. Sporty doesn’t work with motorway cruising.

This is clearly an automotive N+1 situation.

Legacy/Saab 9-5 Aero/S4 Avant for the sensible one. Depending on choice of that, you’ll have 4-8k left over for the sporty/fun one. At which point the world is your oyster. If you’re seeking the approval of an object of desire, then a classic is often the non threatening, non compensating choice.

Something like a GT6/MGB, a really nice Mk1 MR2, a mk1 mx5, take your pick really!

slackboy

B) is incompatible with c) and d)

Unless the required reaction is “ooh that person looks sensible, reliable and will be a good provider”

angeldust
    Free Member

RS6 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“ooh that person looks sensible, reliable and will be a good provider””

oh he looks like James May ?

the-muffin-man

b) Its thought to be attractive to the object of your sexual preference at the School/Sports kids drop off

Be specific as the type of vehicle depends on the answer – are you after the type of school mum who…

a) swallows

b) wears a latex glove before touching your member

🙂

weeksy

Be specific as the type of vehicle depends on the answer – are you after the type of school mum who…

a) swallows

b) wears a latex glove before touching your membe

Either sounds OK 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

One day, you will succumb.. enter the world, forget the badge posturing and lace curtain twitching..

Can be had <8k and cover all your requirements (I found MOAB one on eBay the other day for £6900)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232496084552

submarined
    Free Member

Excellent. 1 out of 5 met.

Antithesis of the other 4 acheived.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I reckon I hit 4/5 on K’s requirements scale.. guess which one my choice doesn’t achieve..

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Mid life crisis cars shouldn’t have a sensible budget

RS6

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

GTO

GTO obviously. Hatchback for bike loading… nice to look at… fast… less than £10k.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think he should just get the Audi and have done with it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Porsche 944 should do the trick. My 924 was £1400, cruised to Stuttgart and back with bikes on the roof and a boot full of camping gear, it will take a child seat in the back, it looks sporty (it isn’t, hence my recommendation for a 944) and we had at least two lots of pretty young women take photos of us in traffic jams (though that might have been the moustache I grew for the trip). Although my wife found it terrifying.

Also, a 944 will make you money.

hodgynd
    Free Member

As above RS4 ..but while it would be possible to get one for 10k it’s age and mileage would rule it out ..

Not really bothered about the other criteria ..and I’m way past mid life ..but as a last hurrah that car has been talked about …( 15 year old son is fairly adamant that is what we are getting !! )

avdave2

As a fully qualified middle aged person I can tell you the way to a woman’s heart is with a car perfected for the tip run!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Show me where an rs4 is 10 grand.

SaxonRider

hodgynd
    Free Member

Davey boy etc.

A fairly quick search pulled up one at 12k at a dealers 2007 with 146k mileage..Im sure with a bit more research I could find one privately for 10k ..but like I said ..age & mileage would rule it out ..and I’m not here to find one for you ..

Have a look yourself !

kilo

Crew cab Toyota hilux , keep thinking I should buy a pick up to replace my van and scratch the mid life crisis itch. Failing that a Massey ferguson 35 which probably fails to meet a few of the op criteria

alanf
    Free Member

Some sort of Alpina estate – B10 V8?

pirahna
    Free Member

Given that you can get a bike onto just about anything, I’d say stretch the budget ever so slightly and get a Lotus Elise. After 06 they come with Toyota engines and are totally reliable. I ran one as a daily driver for a couple of years and would have another in a heartbeat. I had the 111R with the touring pack. 189hp gives a sub 5 second 0-60, it’s happy cruising or thrashing, I found it as good as anything else I’ve owned on long journeys (I regularly do an 800 mile trip to my folks in Ireland). One of the cheapest cars to run I’ve owned as well. Fully comp insurance was £200, dealer servicing is Toyota prices, cheap tyres if you ignore the Lotus branded stuff (I ran Toyo Proxes).

My current drive is a Caddy 2.0 Highline. Chipped to 180hp, lowered and bigger wheels.

BadlyWiredDog

Playing with myself on the motorway this morning which I though I’d extend to STW.  So what mid life crisis car/Dads Taxi with the suggested brief:

a) It’s restrained and tasteful rather than being some naff, wide-boy, penis substitute with a huge spoiler and impractical low profile tyres that cost £500 a corner to replace.

b) It’s discrete enough that the object of your secret passion at the school gates will not dismiss you as an attention-seeking knob. (please don’t tell Mrs BWD about this one)

c) It has a boot.

d) Can cruise at speeds up to 80mph without exploding.

e) Doesn’t cost more than £1k.

?

Nico
    Free Member

Well-sorted RX-7?

mikertroid
    Free Member

@BWD

I think you’ll get arrested if you continue to play with yourself on the motorway.

davosaurusrex

Might as well go with BB’s suggestion – I just gave one back after 80k trouble free miles and it was surprisingly good. Could still have some fun hustling it down a country road for up to 60 seconds before catching the next car. The Passat GTE I have now is nicer to drive but doesn’t get me home any faster. If I was spending my own money I’d seriously consider a Zafira tourer if only for the bloody comfy seats.

As for B we’re over 40 so invisible to the opposite sex anyway, you’re only fooling yourself!

bigblackshed

RS6. But it blows the £10k budget.

Or a T5, again blows the budget, but it will win the sports day and the Yummy Mummy’s approval. If that’s your thing.

Lets face it, it’s going to be a big estate car and without the sporty excitement. The midlife crisis bit will promote you from invisible to **** anyway.

BadlyWiredDog

I think you’ll get arrested if you continue to play with yourself on the motorway.

I just wanted to extend it to STW. Nowt wrong with sharing.

julians
    Free Member

Bmw m3, but you wont find one for 10k i reckon

submarined
    Free Member

Well-sorted RX-7?

He said reliable!

I think if this thread process one thing, it’s that people’s definitions of ‘sporty’ vary quite considerably.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Mid life crisis cars, Tuesday musings…’ is closed to new replies.