Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Mid life crisis cars, Tuesday musings…
  • Kryton57

Any BMW with RunFlats is a pile of vibrating/teeth jarring/spine busting “Ultimate Driving Spleen Shattering Machine”

Mine isn’t.  (Rolling eyes emoji)

Sandwich

b) Its thought to be attractive to the object of your sexual preference at the School/Sports kids drop off

If you can do a handbrake turn, any car will meet this criteria.

I am not awesome enough to do one 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Stretch the budget a touch; you’re not getting any younger !

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C969661

1965 Giulia GTC For Sale

tonyg2003

It’s a little bit over but lowest price GT86 heading towards £10k.

somebody said this recently (not really related but made me laugh) “having to drive a 15yr old MPV is a mid life crisis not a sports car”

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Absolutely mad concept, take a family MPV and stick a potent turbo 2 litre that’ll take it up to around 160mph!”

nothing says half hearted midlife crisis like a people carrier with a “fast” badge on it – and thats where they go wrong , all the badges on it saying its a VXR.

its like after i drop the kids off at the school im off to the nurburgring ….. i rather think not.

Now if someone knocked up the same thing in a shed – with no fast badges , probably on a base spec model …..

that would have been cool…… the guy that built it not necessarily cool mind

case in point. stock vw t5. boring as sin – everyone has one …. even the top spec slightly tepid model what ever …… the video doing the rounds of the rs4 running gear in one….. cool as ****.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What about a Smart ForTwo with a Yamaha R1 engine in it..

Plenty of those loonies on youtube…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

A mid life crisis car does not have caveats, it can only be stark raving bonkers and make your wife stare through the lounge window in disbelief as you appear on your driveway.

SUMB. Simca Unic Marmon and Boquet.

matt_outandabout

Recommend what you have are about to buy tomorrow…

It meets all the criteria*.

*well, more than my current ride.

benp1

My BiL bought an Smax. I told him to get a petrol rather than a diesel, suits what he needs. He bought the one with the Focus ST engine. Found it quite amusing as it’s going to get driven very badly and very slowly and will rarely get used in a way that might need the ST engine

julians
    Free Member

as if by magic , pistonheads has the answer, An Audi S5 for £11k.

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/audi-s5-spotted/37707

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m not playing this game, as apart from A and B, those requirements do not apply to a mid life crisis car.

(Evo 6,7 or 8 though. As long as you’re comparing reliability to something like a TVR.)

aP
    Free Member
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

This is it…

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C970373Reliant scimitar se5a 1975 For Sale

Big lazy Ford lump, tail happy and a bonnet covered in glue…

And you’ll even get a bike in the back!

Reliant scimitar se5a 1975 For Sale

Kryton57

During a short ride yesterday I came across a chap getting a CX out of a 2009 S3.   He told me he paid £10k for it last year and was a hoot with 4WD and although the interior looked a little “older” it looked fairly smart inside.

After I did some googling I realised it was the “Sportback” version.  Looked a tad bland though.

julians
    Free Member

I  bought a brand new 2007 audi s3 ( same as the 2009 model i think), i hated it, it was the most boring fast car ive owned, i dont know how it was possible to make a car go that fast yet be so boring to drive.

Unreliable too, clutch failed at 20000 miles, cv joints shot at 40000 miles.

That was my first anf probably last audi.

dannybgoode

FN2 Civic Type R. Hugely fun to drive, as reliable as they get and supremely practical – roomy and seats food completely flat with minimal effort.

Paid £7900 for a 58 plate with 48K on the clock and she was in mint condition. Sadly I’ve had to trade her in but it was a sad day. Would happily have another.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We have a serial car swapper at the sailing club, I’d probably need 11 pages to write down each car he’s owned..

Anyway, he’s currently in a Tesla blancmange and wears a cardigan.. but he’s owned one of those S3 things, probably 2010-11 an nice navy blue one. He’s had a string of fast cars, but all family cars so gone through all sorts of stuff, changes them every year.. anyway back to the S3 .. he had some roof bars on it and for a fleeting moment even I thought “that looks nice and practical”

But aren’t they driven by loonies with St Vitus Dance of the right foot?

Daffy

It is a bit slower… but a LOT cheaper 😉

People in the know also suggest that the slower one is the better road car – something to do with less stiff suspension, lower nose weight, smaller wheels with more tyre squish… and a non-fat steering wheel.

I wouldn’t know mind. It was a pressie… and it is a lot of fun 😉

Having owned both, the M has the better ride, better performance and better steering feel, but the standard car has the better gearbox and is MUCH cheaper to run

and to those who asked – yes, you can get a bike in the back.  LT 29er.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I think these have come back to being cool again. Fast (get the 5 litre), comfy on motorway – should be under £10k now

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

b) Its thought to be attractive to the object of your sexual preference at the School/Sports kids drop off

That isn’t a criteria that a happily married family man would concern himself with .

CountZero

Premier Icon
    Kryton57

Subscriber
    Any BMW with RunFlats is a pile of vibrating/teeth jarring/spine busting “Ultimate Driving Spleen Shattering Machine”

Mine isn’t. (Rolling eyes emoji)

I picked up an end-of-lease Series 4 from a young bloke in Bristol, and he said he hated it, and was glad to be getting rid of it, was looking forward to picking up the Merc S250, and after driving it for a few miles I could see exactly what he was on about, the ride was harsh, incredibly noisy, I could barely hear the radio even with the volume way up, due to the tyre noise. I’m sure it was an engaging drive for those who swallow the BMW Kool-Aid. Horrid thing.

“Absolutely mad concept, take a family MPV and stick a potent turbo 2 litre that’ll take it up to around 160mph!”

nothing says half hearted midlife crisis like a people carrier with a “fast” badge on it – and thats where they go wrong , all the badges on it saying its a VXR.

Well possibly, if it’s just some sad individual who thinks he can get away with some knock-off VXR badges and a set of wider alloys, but Vauxhall did make a Zafira VXR, with all the appropriate running gear. I’ve always rather fancied one, but with the badges taken off…

I’ve driven a lot of Zafiras, they’re very popular Motability cars, and the occasional top-spec turbo model is quite a lot of fun to drive, comfy, and loads of space.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Both my old 530d sport tourings had run-flats.. within 18k when they wore out I put some decent tyres on them.. muuuuuch better. Quite a common upgrade, some decent tyres.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Any convertible.

jimjam
    Free Member

Kryton57

Playing a game with myself on the motorway this morning which I though I’d extend to STW.  So what mid life crisis car/Dads Taxi with the suggested brief:

a) Its Sporty, grrrr

c) Is practical for Dads hobby, lets say biking in this instance, and reliable.

d) Surfs the motorways in comfort in work time

e) Doesn’t cost more than £10k.

?

Here’s my suggestion

which ignores most of your criteria because

a) Very subjective. Do you mean sporty as in fun, nimble handling etc or do you mean a big engine and a good noise? For your budget you’ll struggle to have both.

b) Why would you want this? Honestly, you’re probably better off trying to impress the dads and the sons and you might get a knock on effect from that but I could think of nothing weirder than wanting to impress the school run milfs. Besides most women aren’t really interested in cars other than the badge and the colour and they’ll probably just think you’re a pathetic loser trying to peacock with your noisey/sporty/flashy car regardless. Might as well have something fun.

c) Well it’s perfect for C. Check.

d) Auto box with loads of torque. Check.

e) Check.

Kryton57

@bikebouy – my 120d will need new boots soon and I’m considering the wider choice of non RF. What “puncture” solution did you for/might you recommen<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>d?</span>

bikebouy
    Free Member

Holly Christ!

You picked the wrong photo to post.. put the one showing it sitting on those mahooosive 22” rims,. 🤩☄️🤮🤠💩

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunno, my old 530’s sat on 18” rims and I think I just bought some Continental boots from Beemer.. they were definitely larger tyre walls I know that.. anything with larger tyre walls will be much smoother on the road..

That Dodge Pickup is hilarious 🤢

mindmap3
    Free Member

No, Octavia for after your mid life crisis, when you’ve basically given up 😣

I quiet like my vRS and I’m not even old enough for a mid life crisis…hopefully I’ve not given up on life yet!

The latest BMW’s don’t ride too badly at all; the 330d we had as a courtesy car with 19’s rode much better than our E90 on 18’s.

I’d be tempted by an E46 M3 if I could find a good one (lots locally seem to be owned by nobbers). Still think they’re one of the prettiest versions.

jimjam
    Free Member

Holly Christ!

You picked the wrong photo to post.. put the one showing it sitting on those mahooosive 22” rims,.

No I definitely picked the right photo. The seller is offering a choice of wheels and tyres and tbh I don’t know what he’s thinking with the other ones.

slackalice
    Free Member

@bikebuoy, Chevy, I think you’ll find that’s a Chevy pick up. A Silverado IIRC, circa late 90’s early 00’s.

You were doing alright up till then 😉🙏

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

If you are going for ridiculous pickups… my brothers old one was ace 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xA39VK]NeilsWheels[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

It was called “Thor”.  It had a great many ponies… and would drop an M5 off the lights in downtown LA 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xzdttQ]Mot[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

Although I stick by the Z4 Coupe… for the price of mine you would have had enough from your £10k for a tasty mountain bike too 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah you caught me out, soz. 🤒😷 it was the “murdered out” badge on the grill I missed, and obvz not reading the narrative.. 🎟

I much prefer it with those steel wheels on it… it has charm, I’ll give it that.

Reckon I’d get my surfboards in the back fine and dandy..

🤠🐴🍔🏄‍♂️🏄‍♂️🏄‍♀️🏇

I own a few white t-shirts, some jeans, and some redwings.. need a cowboy hat though 🏆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kryt’s plenty of gossip on Pistonheads about replacing runflats on 120d’s..

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=1148863

Inbred456
    Free Member

Just buy a small electric tyre inflator and a can of gunk about £20 and run any tyre you want on the Bimmer. Most cars these days come with a can of funk. It’s lighter and keeps the cars overall C02 footprint down. Only had to use it once on my wife’s car and it worked fine.

Northwind

I like pickups but they’re absolutely rubbish for biking, unless you have an infinite supply of bikes and don’t mind when they get nicked.

somafunk

If I didn’t already own one (so I’m biased…..shoot me) I’d go for this

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk1-mk2/golf-mk1-gti-16v-kr-turbo/8462119 

I’d upgrade the front seats n’ steering wheel, strip it out, remove the rear seats and there you go, perfect mid life crisis car that has street cred yet you can still throw a bike in the back.

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Mid life crisis cars, Tuesday musings…’ is closed to new replies.