Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Mexican/type – restaurants etc near Manchester?
  • hora
    Free Member

Any recommendations? I fancy a decent burrito.

atlaz
    Free Member

Burritos are an American invention hora 😉

Anyway, this lot? http://www.barburrito.co.uk/ Could be awful of course, not been to Manchester in nearly 20 years

hora
    Free Member

Been there for lunch- el blando!

portlyone

Been there for lunch- el blando

Not enough jalapeno tabasco! 🙂 Isn’t there a mexican place on deadnsgate? Another chain…?

EDIT: Las Iguanas. I heard good things… or there is always Red Hot Buffet 😉

binners

El Macho on Portland street is a ‘proper’ Mexican. Not some faux chain nonsense. The best in Manchester. Its been going for ever

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ooo, cheers for the heads up Binners…

atlaz
    Free Member

Las Iguanas. I heard good things

I think generic “south american”, neither one thing nor the other. It is to real south american food what pizza express is to italian food. I can’t say the times I’ve eaten there it was awful but it’s always been a work sort of thing.

hora
    Free Member

El Macho Bar and Grill – virtually across the road from that good (good) Chinese Buffet place. I cant beleive I’m saying that about a Buffet place.

vondally
    Free Member

arndale market stall…….for the life of me cannot remember its name

Cougar

I don’t know the place, but is El Macho still El Macho?

I was curious so went looking online for a menu. I found a review from a couple of years ago which is fairly scathing, seemingly the place changed hands (and name) and went downhill.

hora
    Free Member

There was one place in Manchester that had 100% horrific reviews- on Deansgate – next to the Spanish Institute. I honestly thought it was just a money-laundering/drugs front. African? place.

RustySpanner

Ah, El Macho!

The cheerful ping of the microwave, the delightful stench of the toilet and the happy, lingering memories that only food poisoning provides.

Mind you, that was 20 years ago, they may have improved.

hora
    Free Member

Just up the road was a tiny/awesome Chinese Restaurant on the edge of China town. Never have we eaten such amazing food, the place had a constant fly infestation but the food made up for it….

Then one day the owners were murdered in their home with an axe and it closed.

😯

binners

Hora – that African place? Next to Demitri’s? We tried it one night. There were a couple of African guys in there sat drinking and playing cards at the bar. We ordered drinks and were given a menu. The woman ‘serving’ us disappeared off, literally, and just never came back. After 10 minutes waiting, and poking our head around the bar to see where she was (the guys playing cards had no idea) we left

Bizarre

hora
    Free Member

Thats the one – Jowata’s.

There was also a furniture place on Deansgate across the road from where Suburb coffee shop used to be. EVERYTIME I walked past, morning, lunch etc etc there was never a single person in there for years. The rent/rates must have been a few quid….mmmmmmmm

binners

The only reference I can find is this:

Despite somehow survivng for over 15 years, the terrible Jowata African Restaurant on Deansgate finally closed its doors in 2007.

RIP 😆

Manchester’s full of furniture shops like that. We had one near our old office (and your favourite boozer) in the Northern Quarter. I never ever saw a single customer in there. The price of the stuff they had in was truly eye-watering!

RustySpanner

The posh one between the caff & the newsagents?

I bought an Alessi juice squeezer from there once.
    Very attractive young lady served me.
    Pop in for a bounce on the overpriced sofas if you get the chance.

hora
    Free Member

Theres also a couple of hairdressers- never a soul in them yet stay in business. Would love to know their business model….

xherbivorex
    Free Member

el macho is rubbish.
    barburitto is okay, not that authentic but decent enough.

the arndale food court stall, pancho’s, does the tastiest burrito i’ve had outside of america though. by a long way. except for the ones i make myself.

globalti
    Free Member

Mexican? Boring.

Lebanese is where it’s at. No good ones in Manchester though, unfortunately.

hora
    Free Member

Right, I’ll get Pancho’s taste-tested this weekend 8)

portlyone

Chorlton must do good lebanese food, there’s loads of them that live there 😉

On a more serious note, thought there was a lebanese restauarant in Whalley range that worked out of a house?

binners

The arndale food court stall is fantastic!

RustySpanner

Hora, even if you’re really, really hungry will you still order the medium burrito instead of the large? 🙂

binners

Talking of food, I’m going to Croma for tea having just spotted this starter on the menu

Bury Black Pudding & Chorizo
    Black pudding and chorizo baked with field mushrooms, garlic butter, Worcestershire Sauce and tomatoes served with olive bread

portlyone

Sounds like the starter I had in Argento in Huddersfield last week, it was huge. Nearly had to cancel the steak main course… nearly 😉

vondally
    Free Member

panchos…thanks that is the name I seem to thik they have two stalls now…??

Meal deal is good value

nick1962
    Free Member

binners – Member

El Macho on Portland street is a ‘proper’ Mexican. Not some faux chain nonsense. The best in Manchester. Its been going for ever

If you think using unemployed people working on the side in an industrial unit in Liverpool stuffing plastic cartons with cut price chicken ,third rate (on the verge of going off) veg and spices then freezing it is “proper Mexican”you know more about Mexican food than me.Ownership may have changed since I knew it.
    barburrito’s fare was always my first choice.
    Jowata was truly terrible by all accounts though I only ever went to Dimitri’s next door.
    Aladdin’s in Disbury used to do pretty decent Middle eastern food and The Cedar tree in MCR is supposed to be Lebanese but I wasn’t all that impressed but that was about 5 years ago though.

hora
    Free Member

Just had a Burito at Panchos…..then I noticed the curried Goat….me bad 😀

tomhoward

*is in Huddersfield this eve for tea. Will be going to Argento’s. Will be having what portlyone had. (hopefully that’s not an ironic username!)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Mexican/type – restaurants etc near Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.