Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Metatarsal bursitis
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Has anyone had metatarsal bursitis and if so what was your recovery time? Diagnosed after a scan a couple of months ago and told to stay off the bike which I have done. Seemed to be getting slightly better but a week of decorating (just a bit of up and down ladder) seems to have flared it up again. I thought it would have settled by now, all I’ve done is a bit of rowing on an erg (being careful not to push off the affected foot) and general wandering around as is life with two young kids. Essentially nothing strenuous and from my understanding would aggravate it. Google doesn’t seem to be a great deal of help.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I had decades of it as a side-effect/result of acute RA. Primarily metatarsal. Regular contrast baths are very effective for joint inflammation. I’d sometimes dunk my feet in cold rivers and streams when biking. Just a few minutes makes all the difference.

At home aim to do one contrast bath in the morning and one in the evening. It’s easy for feet using two oval mop buckets! Put a bath towel on the carpet/floor with buckets on top.

https://www.ekhuft.nhs.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=450489&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

Also cut alcohol for a while as can make inflammation worse (as can many foodstuffs, I went full ‘elimination’ diet to get remission)

Ginger and turmeric (in diet) helps too with inflammation. But the contrast baths effective and near instant. They can help break the cycle. Don’t skimp. This is not a cold plunge it’s contrast so you need hot and cold.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok thanks. Working from home should allow me to do this a few times during the day so will give it a try.

p7eaven
    Free Member

👍🏼 Wish you all the best. Stick at it for a few weeks then review, is best advice I can give

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Metatarsal bursitis’ is closed to new replies.