Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • met parachute failure
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi all. whats the score on these helmets.
    i want a bit more protection but dont realy want a cumbersome full face.the chin guard looks a bit sus.is it strong or are they prone to cutting your face to bits.
    has anyone got any horror stories about them or basicaly should i stay well clear.

Toddboy
    Free Member

They're a good idea, but mine was uncomfortable. Not a replacement to a full face, so no good for DH stuff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    robhughes
    Free Member

yer todd.didn,t want it for dh just crazy fun riding if you know what i mean.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My personal opinion is that a met parachute is a trade off – the have a small amount of protection from moderate impacts such as hitting branches or low speed falls, but the trade off is a rare chance of the chinbar splintering and causing more damage or the very rare chance of the chinbar catching on something and breaking your neck.

I think they are activly dangerous because of this. want face protection the casco viper is better

grumm
    Free Member

spesh deviant looks pretty well vented for a full facer.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Specialized Deviant is about as airy and comfy as full facers get. Not the worlds lightest but good gear for the money. I'd definately go for a proper full face.

yoshimi

Do you want this for XC or DH? If XC whats wrong with a normal helmet? If DH buy a proper helmet – Giro Remedy has plenty of ventilation. MET parachute, I'd steer clear!

pjbarton
    Free Member

i use mine without the chin 80% of the time round the roads and tracks around sunny Coventry. A trip round hope and the chin goes on. def provides more protection although clearly not a proper ff. but for the occational mad decent, it's got to be worth it. i think it covers more of your head then some without the chin?
    and it it is light.

genesis
    Free Member

I use a 661 p*ss pot for mucking around on, a Giro Xen for most riding and a Spesh Deviant for the bigger more obviously dangerous stuff and tbh its as comfy and well vented as my Giro.

higgo
    Free Member

Bring back the Giro Switchblade.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

As a Parachute owner I would not want to have a chin first wipe-out, but – touch wood – I have never had a chin-first crash. That said I'd rather go chin-first in the Parachute than in my normal open lid. My crashes tend to be wash-outs on corners or slow offs. On one such off at the bottom of Cave Dale I cut and bruised the side of my face and broke my glasses wearing a normal lid. I'm sure that wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing the Parachute.

They are what they are. More protection than an open XC lid, less than a full face. That's what I wanted and that's what it gives me. I've never actually heard of anyone who's had a face-slashing incident with a cracked chin guard

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Were they not originally a ski slalom helmet, and the chin guard designed to deflect the slalom poles rather than hard impacts?

I used one for my first year in morzine and it is as comfy as a normal helmet. Never crashed in it so can't comment on that.

Second year in Morzine I used a mk1 spesh deviant. Felt much more secure than the parachute, but again have never crashed on it so can't really comment on the protection.

The deviant is well vented for a full face helmet, but it is still MUCH too hot for 'normal' riding

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘met parachute failure’ is closed to new replies.