Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Met Office alternative, or is it as good as it gets?
  • jim853
    Free Member

I apriciate it’s hard to predict the weather, especially on an island’ but The UK Met Office app seems to be struggling to predict the rain over the next 24 hours these days. I used to find it quite reliable for short term predictions but I’ve missed a couple of opportunities to get out on the bike recently when they’ve predicted rain the following morning and it’s turned out fine.
    I get the feeling since they’ve come under fire for missing Storm and flooding events in the past few years they forecast on the safe side just in case. There seems to be forever yellow waning of flooding and nothing happens.
    I just wondered where other forum members get their short term forecasts when planning a ride etc?

StirlingCrispin

Yr.no

Ventusky

Bruce

Windfinder, xc weather and MWIS.
    Pick which ever forecast looks best or look out of the window and cross your fingers.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Rain radar helps to take a look at for a guess as the next few hours.

jamiemcf

I use the met and xc weather and get a general gist.

jam-bo

Windy + metoffice.

windy let’s you compare 5 forecasts for the same location. If they all agree then seems fairly robust. If they don’t agree the I pick the one that looks best.

jam-bo

+ rainfall radar. Real-time view of what’s happening and what’s coming next. Can often time a run or quick ride on weekends like this between waves.

Caher

used to love Dark Sky but moved exclusively to ios so now i use Accuweather which is pretty goo.

shermer75
    Free Member

Don’t all the other companies get their info from the Met Office?

thelawman

Met Office or Metcheck, then choose whichever looks best. Or MWIS for the increasingly rare trips involving proper hills

Squirrel

+1 for the rainfall radar. Worked well for me today.

jam-bo

Don’t all the other companies get their info from the Met Office?

I think met office charge 3rd parties, so unlikely.

most get the free stuff from ECWMF or the GFS model from the yanks. BBC jumped ship from met office last year.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Met Office for forecast of days ahead, https://www.wunderground.com/ for on the day forecast and real time rain radar “Wundermap.”

scotroutes

I’m currently using AccuWeather.

Ventusky is good as you can view a number of weather models or even make your own assessment based in the weather fronts.

Met Office is generally crap. It uses the same forecast for huge areas of the country.

MWIS is great for the areas it covers as there is still a manual input, it’s not just computer analysis and prediction.

CountZero

WeatherProHD which is the weather app for MeteoGroup, which the BBC now use instead of the Met Office. To get hourly forecasts requires a subscription, but I find it’s worth it. The precipitation radar is excellent and the forecasts are very accurate.

I do use Dark Skies on my phone, but that’s only on iOS, and I’m not sure how much longer it’ll remain working, as more of its functionality is absorbed into the main Weather App. That’s still not there yet as far as usability is concerned, so I’m waiting to see what happens. There are others as others have mentioned.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Rain alarm is a good free rain radar app

jam-bo

The precipitation radar is excellent

All uk sites will use the same radar data. There is only one network, owned and run by the met office and EA…

binners

gordimhor

It’s better than their police franchise.

gordimhor

For what it’s worth I use the met Office app it’s been pretty accurate for me.

binners

Just move to East Lancashire. You don’t need a weather app. Just assume it’ll be raining and probably really, really windy

supernova

I’ve found that the most up to date forecast can be found just by typing ‘your location weather’ into Google, where your location is the place you want the forecast for. It seems to be updated more often than the others and you can get hyperlocal.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Plan for rain. One may always fold an umbrella or stow a cagoule. Mrs P has at least 6 weather apps and neither are as efficient as cagoule + shades.

kormoran
    Free Member

Farming Today for the win!

As a regular MWIS user I have found it has been quite off the mark this year, perhaps that has been the result of some unstable weather patterns, however it has predicted a lot of armageddon type hill days that turned out to be very different in reality IMO. Interestingly when you cross reference with the Met hill forecasts they can be wildly opposing forecasts – I tend to lean to MWIS normally but this year has been a bit of an eye opener

gowerboy

I sometimes use Theyr https://www.theyr.com/app.asp for sea kayaking.

I have been more lazy recently and tend to use the bbc and it’s pretty good on rainfall. I know they were moving away from Met Office data but I am not sure what happened.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most apps use the global weather models sold by the US. The Met Office is one of the best forecasters in the world and they are obviously UK focused. However, if you only want to see the chance of rain in the next few hours then a rain radar app is best. And as it happens the Met Office app (not so much the website) I find has one of the best radar functions too.

ampthill

I use to pay for meteogroup but I don’t think it was any more accurate

BBC and met offices don’t state the number of mms of rain expected. YR does predict the amount of rain. So it’s more my go to

Spin
    Free Member

Met Office is generally crap. It uses the same forecast for huge areas of the country.

This is just not true. The met office models are actually specific to UK conditions whereas the other widely available models aren’t and don’t take coastal or relief factors into account adequately.

I read an interesting thing from a meteorologist who said that the kind of granularity people demand these days like hour by hour forecasts just isn’t supported by the models but if it isn’t provided people will switch to a different provider. I suspect things like the precipitation amounts yr.no offer probably fall into this category too.

Spin
    Free Member

Interestingly when you cross reference with the Met hill forecasts they can be wildly opposing forecasts – I tend to lean to MWIS normally but this year has been a bit of an eye opener

The met office mountain area forecasts are just plain weird. They often contradict their own specific mountain forecasts. I find the mountain area forecasts to be of very little use but the specific ones in conjunction with MWIS usually gives a pretty good idea.

Spin
    Free Member

The Where2go function on the Meteoblue app is very useful for getting a general picture of where might be dry.

petefromearth

Dp

petefromearth

Dark Sky is now called Hyperlocal on Android

It’s a fairly ad-heavy and cluttered UI but it still has the 1 hour radar rain forecast graph which is pretty accurate IME and very useful

2/3 days ahead I just use the Google weather app and the two normally agree quite well

jim853
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting.
    I’m going to play with Windy for a while. I’ve had it on the phone for a while but didn’t realise you could switch between the forecasts.

thepurist

The Meteogram Android app will let you geek out to your heart’s content with weather – you can construct your own forecast chart picking which data you get from which source (some are free, some need a sub) – so you can overlay yr’s rainfall totals with the met office’s precipitation probability etc etc etc

But as mentioned above, find a few forecasts and compare them (MeteoBlue app has a multi model view) and if they’re consistent you can sort of accept their predictions, if they diverge then it’s anyone’s guess.

onewheelgood

I’ve found Shadow Weather on Android to get the rain prediction right more often than the Met over the last few months. Has radar too.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Another vote for windy.com here.

Also for marine stuff I use the Meteo Consult Marine app.

nickc

I use the Met Office, Rain today, and the iOS weather app. between them you get a pretty good picture of what’s going on

xora

This is Scotland, you will get wet, the only real need for a forecast is to know which combination of the 32 different possible directions you will get wet from at the same time!

mrmoofo

The RNKI ( who I volunteer for) know a bit about weather.
    They use XE Weather as the bench mark on phones and weather stations via WeatherLink

boriselbrus
    Free Member

MWIS akways seems very pessimistic. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one of their forecasts without the word “appalling” in it.

I tend to use the BBC, Met Office, Met chece and MWIS and just pick my favourite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Met Office alternative, or is it as good as it gets?’ is closed to new replies.