Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MET as an alternative to Giro
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I've always used Giro lids but the shape doesn't seem to fit as wel as it once did. I'm a sweaty so and so on the bike so ventilation has always been number one for me and thr E2 has done me well. Is a MET kaos a viable alternative? Decent quality? Crash replacement? etc?
    cheers.

AndyP
    Free Member

Met are great and have a far less annoying strap than Giro. Don't know about the kaos but on the whole I've found the 2 brands pretty much level-pegging. Apart from the straps, and not being able to get a decent aero helmet from Met

druidh
    Free Member

I'd try it. Like AndyP says, I've found the strap on my MET helmet to be a bit more comfortable than the Giros I've owned previously.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I think some people have Met heads – bought a new helmet recently and couldn't get on with Spesh or Giro whereas Mets felt just right. I've got the Inferno UL a roadie helmet and it's extremely well vented

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I've used MET for years, probably more out habit than anything else. Have used the crash replacement program through Fisher's once and the whole process was as quick and straight forward as it could be. Think it was 50% discount on a replacement, but it was a while ago now…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

sounds promising. Cheers guys. Looks like Giro are going to loose out. It all happened when they changed the small from a max of 56cm to a max of 55cm.

tonyg2003

I have 2 Met ValenoD – you can pick them up cheap on e-bay but the Fisher replacement 50% of RRP + p&p (bust two this year 😮 )is the same cost as a new ebay one. I think they are very good – except my missus keep nicking mine – had to buy her one in the end.

cookeaa

I currently use both (both at the cheaper end and Both fit me quite nicely), I do have a mate who swears by Met as they seem to fit his tiny pin head where Giro just won’t accommodate such freaks…

My MET lid seems better vented…

Easier to adjust straps too…

fasthaggis

Yup , I have a Giro road lid but use a Met one offroad (it's way more comfy).

Looking at a Kaos just now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just read a lovely review of the Giro Athalon on MTBR. Seems other people thing Giro are getting a little lazy in recent times as well.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I tried a top of the range £100 Giro and it was no better than my old £35 Giro, in fact the cheaper one fitted be much better, so I bought a Met, much better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree about the Giro fit. I can't get comfy in a Zen, the Hex is better but still not great

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I also ended up with a Met as Giros don't sit well on my enormous head and am well happy with it (5th Element, don't think they do them any more).

Bells have also fitted well in the past when Giro didn't but you don't seem to see them in the shops much.

stumpy01

I'm gonna disrupt the Met love going on, by saying that my Met Veleno isn't very comfy. I'd definitely try, before you buy.

I don't think the adjustment system is particularly simple and the strap always seems to need re-tightening during rides. The pads are pretty feeble as well. The best thing about the helmet is the ventilation, but I think I am going to replace mine next yr with something that fits my head a bit better.

I have tried a Bell (I think the Variant) on and that was a nice fit. Might go for one of those.

peteimpreza

MET sizing is different as well.

The Giro large is much bigger than the MET.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I tried one on and the fit was better, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a naff lid but plenty of people seem to like theirs. Shame about the fit of Giro as I always liked them. Like others have said, Bell don't seem to appear in shops.

thefallguy
    Free Member

I'm a medium in a Giro but need a large Met, both seem to fit fine I prefer the strap arrangement on my Giro Xen to the Met Kaos tho

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MET as an alternative to Giro’ is closed to new replies.